Building your first home

How big?
There’s heaps of options if you get 600mm or 900mm.

Other sizes (500, 750, 800mm) are a bit of a niche, and you pay for that.

I am happy with standard size, probably 600mm with 4 burners.

Yep

Steer clear of technica (Bunnings’ uber cheap brand). In laws had one, no end of issues. Apparently quite common.

Wok burner on a 600mm top can be more of a pain than anything.

They are more expensive but is a good unit.

1 Like

I’m not sure Westinghouse are locally built anymore.
Most iconic brands have shifted to cheaper manufacturing locations. Like Bosch to China.

Only going off what it said on the box.

Possibly some BS where final assembly is done here

Yeah.
We supplied the cardboard the screws were packed in.

I have a Miele oven and cook top.

I got it at a pretty decent price, and because I knew some people wet their pants for them.

Whilst both do work ok. The stainless steel cook top scratches even if you look at it. It’s ridiculous, I’ve never owned something so ‘fragile’, that is a work station.

Wouldn’t recommend purely for that reason.

The cooker, is ok. Costs about $90 to replace a light globe (of which there are 2…) says enough really.

Next kitchen we get I’ll be buying a cook top that’s indestructible, and an ovwn that has an accurate digital thermometer/thermostat. (Can’t believe how inaccurate ovens are.)

induction people, this is not a drill.

1 Like

Can you do poached eggs on it?

1 Like

Inductions I’ve used we’re trash

Gas all the way.

2 Likes

Okay so here’s a genuine question about toilets. I’m prepared for all the puns, but if someone has a real answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

The standard dunny in a house in Victoria is pretty hopeless. It works by dumping 4.5 litres of water on top of whatever is in the pan and hoping that it’s sufficient to push all the, er, waste matter out the back and through the S bend. Often it isn’t, meaning multiple flushes are necessary to avoid embarrassment.

Most other civilised places in the world seem to operate differently. When you push the button, everything in the pan is sucked out the back by what appears to be some sort of vacuum, and when it’s all gone the water is released from the cistern and refills the bowl. Multiple flushes? Never needed. Embarrassment? A thing of the past.

I want to get two toilets of the latter type. Does anyone know a) what they are called in plumber language, b) brands and models available, and c) where they can be obtained?

I asked at the local Reece with no success. Proprietor claimed ignorance but was scathing about 4.5 litre flush limit.

Yep, and get your 3Phase power sorted at the same time, especially to cope with your cooling requirements at the same time.

1 Like

Have you considered a gas-fired incinerating toilet? Not joking either, they do exist.

Not sure what you are referring to re 4.5 litre flush unit. That is a half flush in Dual Flush Cisterns, a full flush being (obviously ) 9 litres.

Edit" Hmm, seems they’ve got a main setting of half that these days, (makes sense) but if your Reece guy didn’t know they could be adjusted up to what the standard once was, … you need to talk to a much better Reece guy (or Gal as the case can be)

Adjustable to 6/3 Litre or 9/4.5 Litre

Adjustable to 9/4.5L

There’s a Home Show a couple of times a year at Jeff’s Shed. They had a few different types of dunnies there last time I went, including a Japanese one.

I believe it’s part of building code now, they’re all like that. Older ones would use twice the amount of water, and work twice as effectively.

I did get told once by a plumber that the sewage pipe after the S bend can have an effect, ie flows much better if it’s dumping into 120mm (??) than 100mm.

You need to either find a dodgy plumber or eat more greens.

I’m interested in getting the right type, not the amount of water. The type that sucks everything out of the pan, rather than pushing it out with water from above. It appears to be some sort of vacuum or siphon system. That’s what I’m after. (No electricity involved btw.)

That’s just an S bend. They all have that (as far as I know). A bigger flush volume = a bigger dump volume.