Burning Jealousy - 11th in 2018 to flag in 2019

Gaff and Setterfield would be their perfect additions.

Wait.
Jobe Watson was the keystone to our tackling system?

So creating pressure in the midfield isn’t inside work? Don’t a lot of inside players create pressure and turnovers in the middle? You don’t care about tackling/contested stats but wonder why we opposition use the ball well against us?

Yes, I agree we suck at creating pressure and turnovers. I also think our inside work sucks but have a great fast team. Instead of arguing I’ll ask you this, if you don’t think tackling inside work is an issue, what do you think will help us fix it?

And what about 2012/2013/2014/2015/207/2018 and before then for the stats I used? Or is using 2016 more handy because you can give an excuse for it? Where’s the excuse for all the other years?

Or were we missing 12 players every year for the last decade?

That’s the problem, no one has been. It’s a weakness.
Watson was a shining light for inside work in an otherwise weak point for a decade.

When we are out of the finals and especially not going to win the flag then I can’t wait for the season to end.

That day after grand final when it’s all done and dusted and it’s back to ground zero for ALL OF US and we ALL have to start again.

The victors can enjoy their spoils, but the reality is that a new season awaits for them as much as for us and the other sides.

3 Likes

Not necessarily, no - why should it be? It’s 22 guys’ job to pressure and harrass; not just the inside mids.

I think our inside mids are (as a group) better than average at tackling and pressure. Smith is excellent, Zerrett is very good, Myers is solid, Hepp admittedly just passable, Langford good, Parish reasonable (and improving) and so on. I think they’re all safe in their spots for the forseeable future, bar Myers.

I can’t say the same on the outside (and through the small forwards) - Zaha can tend to drop off, Colyer’s form has deserted him, Guelfi is a goer but lacks in other areas. Tippa is excellent, Fanta is pretty good, McGrath is very good defensively and hopefully he settles on a wing/outside mid long term.
We had absolutely no answers for Fanta’s spot, Fridge isn’t exactly quick, and our best option when we cannoned Green was (again) Trav Colyer.
I think we’ve got 2-3 of the 5-6 required, for the medium term.

They weren’t competitive? CWood lost 8 games by less than 3 goals, 5 by less than 2,with a load of injuries. They lost to us twice but we also finished higher than Melb in 2017… remind me again how those two are going in 18 compared to us?

Think you missed the bit where I said you need to look at more than just the win/loss ratio to judge the improvement in a team.

we sucked defensively a lot more when we had Jobe in there and have improved a heck of a lot since he hasn’t been in there. He was 100% a ball player, very very slow, and poor on the defensive side.

I’m not sure we should bring him back, which I can only assume is what you’re suggesting??

Revisionism is an amazing aspect of blitz

1 Like

Maybe you need to take that advice too

I want to see more of that old style of coaching and ruthlessness from the Bombers. Nobody has any inside knowledge on how Collingwood go about things but it feels like they get themselves up and about for all the big games every single time.

Surely Bucks/Eddie talk about the pride of their club, spruik all week about how they ‘hate’ the opposition, what it means to the club - talk about old clashes etc and really get club pride involved in their preparation- rather than constantly saying that we just want to focus on ‘playing the way we want to play’.

As a youngster I was a bit of a jack of all trades in sport, could play a bit of everything well but I didn’t have the ruthlessness that some of my teammates did and I feel like the Bombers are a touch the same - a ‘losing’ culture if you will, when the going gets tough.

I want Woosha to bring up the saga/Jobe/Goddard/Line in the sand/1999 prelim to set a fire in the belly of the boys when they run out to play.

Sure, it’s ‘revisionist’ when there was a mountain of obvious there all along…

‘Young team continues to improve after better run with injury’.

Who could’ve known?

I whole-heartedly rexommend people get out and watch some local footy. Just so much less BS than the big show.

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

This next week is going to be hell for me! I come from a large Pies following family (I’m the only Dons supporter) and they all hate Essendon as equally as they love Collingwood, and boy do they let me know about how we have been travelling of late (you cannot even imagine what it was like during the Saga). I think it is pretty much inevitable they are going to win number 16 next weekend :frowning: and it makes me feel sick just thinking about what it is going to be like (2010 was hell). I’m slowly starting to associate footy with losing/frustration. I have only witnessed our 2000 success and even then, I was too young to enjoy it.

Anyway, just needed to get that off my chest haha hopefully things turn around soon for us and I can enjoy some success with my Blitz family haha

19 Likes

There is no shame in leaving home and deserting your family if they support Collifith, Carlsum or Wee&Poo.

5 Likes

I barely give a fck about football anymore compared to 5 or 10 years ago.

It’s gotten to the point where the only enjoyment I I get from football is from other teams failing. I can’t get any enjoyment from our successes cause we have none in almost 2 decades. Not even a fcking finals win.

Richmond made a prelim and will (rightly) consider the year a failure… we can’t even sniff a a finals win.

Couldn’t even watch my boy DaniGAWD tear it up this year cause we fcked him. If he comes back cooked next year I don’t know what I’ll do.

5 Likes

No, no…
Daniher selfishly hid an injury from coaching and medical staff that people watching telly could see.
Remember?

5 Likes

THAT’S WHAT I’M SAYING.

It’s everybodies’ job to harass, pressure, tackle, win contested ball, make one %'ers. Hence all those statistics I posted further demonstrating how we lack in general toughness and ability to tackle and harass and pressure opponents. We as a team do not do it regularly.

And your answer to remedy these deficiencies is to bring in more outside players? Inside players are generally inside because they tackle more and pressure more, outside players generally are good with delivery but lack an ability to win their own ball.

And you also missed all the outside run we get from our half-back which is where we generally set up. Saad and McKenna are outside players. Our team sets up for an outside game plan and has for years, we struggle in slogs, we excel at the fast conditions at Eithad. If you don’t agree then we may as well stop it here.

3 Likes

We sucked more with Jobe? So not having him has made us a better team, based on what exactly? Least we made finals with him and got within 10 goals.
And he won a Brownlow and multiple best and fairests so he couldn’t have been as bad as you say.