Burning Jealousy - 11th in 2018 to flag in 2019

Now you’re being stupid on purpose.

We sucked defensively with Jobe because he was terrible defensively.

I am aware he was good at other things.

Yeah I understand that. The most relaxing year of footy I’ve ever had was 2016. Now it’s just outright frustration with a spattering of fist pumps inbetween.

I’m still half mast about next year though. If we recruit well look out!

1 Like

But those are not all the same thing. You’re implying they are.

Stakc a side with inside players and you’ll probably find you’re slower, and worse at applying outside pressure. You might have more tackles and contested possessions, because you’ll have more numbers at the coal face, but you won’t be able to go with the quick sides to harrass and intercept, and create turnovers when it does get to the outside.

You sure? Like you were aware that I was obviously not campaigning for him back in the side now at the age of 35?

We sucked defensively as a team because we sucked at the inside aspect as a team. You’re singling Jobe out as a point because?..Jobe was so bad at defensively that he was in the top few for tackles and every statistic I pointed out despite the team being horrible. So most likely the rest of the team was horrible at it? The correlations are clearly there, backed up by statistics. You’re welcome to think otherwise.

1 Like

Won’t be able to go with quick sides?

We ARE the quick side, plenty of slower sides with more inside players clog us up and beat us. Been this way for over a decade.

For how long have we been the “sexy” team? All flash, no substance. But sure, more outside players please.

1 Like

It’s actually hard to know what to think about a guy who thinks Jobe was good defensively.

Relatively compared to who? Which Essington champions thrived on manic defensive pressure put him to shame? The rest of the team were a shambles, at least he could win his own ball. My issue wasn’t just tackling, it was every other inside statistic that we lack in that I stated.

1 Like

Compared to almost anyone else on the park. Genius over the ball. His speed made him very hard to hide defensively.

And over the ball, inside work aka contested possessions, clearances, 1 %'ers, stoppages is where we lack, as previously stated in my other posts and the point I’m making. And not only that he tackled as one of the best consistently in the team. Was he the best at running defensively when the other team had space? No, but you’re highlighting his one potential flaw and forgetting he enhanced areas that we’ve been struggling in for over a decade.

1 Like

Stating something 10 times doesn’t make it right.

We went from -2 clearances +/- a game last year - with Jobe - to +2.2 this year - with no Jobe.
We went from +0.7 CP a game last year to +2.3 this year
We went from +4.3 tackles a game to +7.8
Stoppages from -1.4 to +2.1

We are a side who wins the stoppages, more often than not.

1 percenters is the only one that went backwards, +1.7 last year; -4.3 this year.
And our scores against improved by a kick and a half.

So I’m struggling to see why you want Jobe back. And I think he’s moved overseas anyway.

FFS Collingwood have only won a preliminary final (so far), Melbourne were the team of the media a few short hours ago.

Seems this thread is mostly full of a bunch of sooks, why did you watch a collingwood/richmond final??

1 Like

Are you sooking about sooks?

4 Likes

It does when the person can’t comprehend basic facts right in front of them, and then resorts to being silly and trying to take away from facts because they know they’re wrong. That or being silly like saying I want Jobe to come back or whatever else made up you want to add in. Your stats are nice, improvements are good, and those +'s look good, but we were 17th in clearances, 18th for stoppages, 14th in tackles and 10th in 1%'ers last year, so borderline as bad as you can get.

We are a side that wins stoppages more often than not? We’re ranked 10th for stoppages and 10th for clearances and 8th for tackles and 13th for 1%'ers this year, not a top 8 ranked team in any of those. We’ve struggled in these statistics every year for over a decade. It’s speaks for itself in cold hard facts. We struggle on the inside, facts are facts. Any sane person has been calling for more inside players for years, or more players that can tackle or maintain fierce pressure.

And I’d take a 27 year old Jobe that can win hard balls, tackle hard and win clearances in his prime any day, thanks. I’d also take a brigade of hard tackling pressure machines and a team that can follow suit. But you can take more outside players if you want, maybe we’ll go to undisputed uncontested kings? We’re already close.

4 Likes

I heard the Eagles are 12-0 with Kennedy and Darling playing together

1 Like

We were on the positive side of the ledger for stoppages, and overall clearances, and centre clearances.

FACT.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_rankings?year=2018&type=DA&sby=29&advv=Y

Stick to “Myers is ■■■■”.

You cracking the ■■■■■ again because you’re frustrated? Chill out mate, no need to get sulky. Stick to Myers is sh*t? What’s the relevance to this discussion, or you making up stuff again? Relax mate.

Your stats tell me we can have some great games were we can dominate and win by some good margins, overall we’re still in the bottom few for averages and totals in every statistical category. We’re still an inconsistent team, history backs this up. As does logic. You don’t need stats to tell you that we’ve been a poor tackling/pressure side that lacks inside grunt for the most part of a decade.

Even in your own hand picked category for differentials, last year we were ranked 14th in clearances, 14th in stoppage clearances and 10th for contested possessions. The years before we were ranked 15th, 14th, 6th, 12th & 9th for clearances etc. And that’s in YOUR own category.

I know you have a famed burning desire for last word so I’ll end this discussion here and let people make up their own minds. This next part isn’t for you, it’s for everyone else… We’ve been near the bottom in almost every statistical catagory for the past decade in clearances, stoppage clearances, tackles, 1%'ers etc. Remember how everyone was crying out on Blitz year after year for more good inside/harder tackling players? And we’ve been in the top few for uncontested possessions year after year? Well apparently there is no correlation for the discrepancy for poor inside numbers and strong uncontested numbers (aka being a fast outside team that we are), and the answer to fix these issues is to get more outside players. Thankfully most other sane people outside of HAP can see these obvious issues as I’m getting lots of likes and messages supporting my view of a poor alround tackling/pressure/clearance game that this club lacks.

4 Likes

I don’t wanna become entangled in the enthralling Crazy & HAPs discussion, but would like to add a few comments on Jobe.

I’ve always held the view that because of how good Jobe was in his prime - the Club dropped the ball in recruiting & developing gun mids. In his prime, Jobe was so dominant. Think 2012 & earlier.

I remember thinking at the time that we were far too reliant on him & that if he were injured, we would struggle. We were 12-3 in 2013 before Westhoff broke Jobe’s collarbone. From memory, we won the following week & were then seriously spanked over the next month or so. Then the saga & penalties killed us.

I flew out from Tokyo to attend the 2015 Anzac Day game & felt that Jobe was cooked then. I think he should have retired at the end of that season. Was banned in 2016 & it was sad to see him beyond cooked in 2017. Was a wonderful player, Captain & Clubman. Busted a gut throughout his career, but I’ve always felt that we needed to strengthen the midfield around him.

I reckon the Club have only realised in recent years that we have midfield deficiencies & are now focusing on strengthening it. Another really important draft/trade period coming up.

1 Like

Am I missing something? How’s your burning hatred of Collingwood going to transfer to onfield success. You aren’t a player.

‘We’ - referring to the EFC players - not me.