Burning Jealousy - 11th in 2018 to flag in 2019

Drop your guts next time. That should see their smiles disappear rather quickly…

I believe thats a Collingwood mating call.

2 Likes

You’re right. I have failed.

2 Likes

I get told that all the time.

IMG_2784

1 Like

Careful you dont get kicked out

It’s really interesting hearing Sidebottom say last week that the confidence their group got from finishing the season strongly, being ultra competitive in most games throughout last season and building cohesion through the season especially in the back half, propelled them through the pre season and the H & A season. He also mentioned some honesty sessions in the post season about what they wanted to stand for and listing the non negotiables for any player in the side such as bringing the right intent, willingness to pressure and put your teammate in a better spot were the driving forces behind the turnaround.

I can’t help thinking that the last 14 games of this season can absolutely be the impetus for us going forward. Obviously bringing in a midfielder or two in the off season, getting Joe & Raz on the park each week and consistency of effort & performance will drive that. We must commit to those non negotiables though. There’s a common denominator in the top few teams, manic pressure and willingness to work hard at all times which is a level we need to reach. There’s no reason we can’t, it’s all mindset.

It’s fkg hard to watch Collingwood within a match of joining us on 16 flags while we’ve floundered for a decade & a half. Let’s hope we can be back there again soon.

14 Likes

Well said.

They’ve been equal with Essendon as far as premiership wins go since 2010. If they win tomorrow, they go one ahead on 3x flags.

West Coast will go 2x ahead on 4x flags.

Hawthorn is on top with 6x flags.

AFL flags are what really count.

5x Hawthorn
3x Geelong
3x Brisbane
3x West Coast
2x Essendon
2x Fark FC
2x Adelaide
2x Sydney
2x North Melbourne
1x Port Adelaide
1x Western Bulldogs
1x Richmond
0x Fremantle
0x GWS
0x GC
0x St Kilda

They sure are a happy team at Hawthorn.

So, again, I’m wondering if, maybe, we shouldn’t, maybe, pick our 2017 list, for 2019?
Or even our 2016 list.
I can see this is a left field idea to you.
Etc

I reckon - maybe - the performance of our 2018 list might be more relevant to, well, everything, but particularly to a discussion of what we need to change for 2019??

But feel free to continue hatewanking about how bad we were in 2016.

@Crazy_Bomber is such a hatewanker.

Part of a long line of clubs built around 1 superstar that couldn’t take the next step.
Buckley/Pies, Judd/Carlton, Reiwoldt/Saints, Freo/Pavlich etc

Indeed.

That suggests if the Eagles or Swans or Brisbane had won in 1987, or 1988, or 1989, it wouldn’t count as a “national” flag. But the flag a Vic side won in the “AFL” in 1990 does count.
It was the same 14 teams from 1987 to 1990 - with no representation from one of the big 3 footy states.

If you’re going to draw a line anywhere, it’s 1991, when the Crows joined, to give us the full (thus far) complement of states.

Plus it rips Collingwood off a flag. It’s a win win.

Pre-1990 flags shouldn’t count as the competition was still trading as the VFL up until the conclusion of the 1989 season. It’s been the AFL since 1990.

So whoever was on top of the flag table at the end of 1989 won the VFL.

I like your screw Collingfark argument though.

1 Like

A national footy competition without south australia is pretty obviously not a national competition.
Branding or not.
It’d be like the NRL not having a club in QLD.

And if we’re on branding, how’s the nads on the SANFL? “South Australian National Football League”.

Those d*ckheads had a chance to join the VFL in 1987 but declined.

Reckon the AFL as a competition was still legitimate in 1990 even without them.

Better with them though.

Then it was relevant in 1987. Because it was the same teams.

Same teams but the ‘branding’ as you mentioned earlier had changed.

If Brisbane had won in 1988 they would have 1x VFL flag to their name.

Adelaide declined the offer to financially support the VFL by way of a $4m joining fee in 1987 so missed out on the chance to win a VFL flag.

Not hatewanking, just having a normal discussion hopefully without dissolving into insults because one side disagrees with the other.

If you want to only use 2018 as a basis that’s fine and another conversation entirely, but my original point was using 15 years of empirical evidence to suggest the same weakness which was our inside midfield department and pressuring/tackling skills which have been letting the club down continually. Hence the reason why I was actually talking about all those other years, because I wasn’t just talking about this year? They’re not the same teams no, but it’s the same issues and mostly the same players that carry those issues forward and becomes ingrained.

I’m happy to have another conversation with you about JUST this year if you like and most particularly the second half of this year if you want to narrow it down even more. I really hope we continue it on, and time will tell, but recent history suggests we don’t maintain that level of effort when the pressure is on. You think we lack on the outside, I think we lack on the inside. We always have very strong uncontested possession numbers, which granted we have better distributors, but I think we have enough decent outside runners in the side and from half-back also that run through the midfield. I think the fish rots from the head on the inside… and we lack on both, but if I had a choice I’d say we badly need more inside support.

It’s OK to disagree with people without cracking it.

2 Likes