Cable Internet

Have decided to move to cable from ADSL2, in search of faster speeds.

Not sure who to go with at the moment, Telstra or Optus. Optus are better value, but quite a few people complain of congestion on their network, especially to international sites. Not sure if anyone here has had the experience? I know a few people with it, and they don't seem to notice any problems.

Telstra is a bit more expensive, and am leaning towards their high speed cable plans at the moment, but I just know that I am going to get a billing issue to start.

After peoples opinions on how they have found the coax based delivery of the interwebs from each telco?

Cheers.

I've been on Extreme Speed Telstra cable for years, and generally find it pretty good. There are occasional issues....I go 500Gb a month. I went past 400Gb once. There's only so much ■■■■ you can watch....although DHJ will disagree.

do the providers 'share' the cable? Thought they ran their own separate networks but could be wrong.

I'm on 100Mbs Telstra cable, 200Gb a month for $88 with a home phone. It's a bit more than I need .contract is up in 3 months, might go to naked then don't really need the home phone.

do the providers 'share' the cable? Thought they ran their own separate networks but could be wrong.

I'm on 100Mbs Telstra cable, 200Gb a month for $88 with a home phone. It's a bit more than I need .contract is up in 3 months, might go to naked then don't really need the home phone.

So Telstra give a "nude discount". I hope it's not a mobile dongle. And isn't that hard to police? What happens if its cold and you need to put a coat on?

A little trick I learnt at tech school.

Cable tie four ethernet cables together.

doubles your speed.

I have been with Telstra bigpond cable for many years now and generally found the service adequately fast (I am on the lower speed plan) and very reliable. It should definitely beat ADSL unless you live very close to an exchange.

I would recommend cable over ADSL any day.

Believe it or not, the standalone 100Mbps 200GB Telstra plan is now $109 per month. Telstra and Optus don't share their cable network.

So cable is the way to go. How about customer service? How do you find Telstra?

Standard telco fair. My problem, and I'm lucky that there has only been one problem 18 months into my cable plan, took an hour to sort out. Telstra did some maintenance on the cable network one night and a lot of Melbourne cable accounts suddenly had 200GB+ downloaded overnight. So I was capped because they made a mistake. After being told condescendingly by a tech assistant that he could see someone had intruded into my WiFi network, I flipped my ****. After escalating my complaint everything was sorted out, though. Apparently you get a free pass the first time you go over your cap and customer service will uncap you. So I demanded this mistake of theirs wasn't counted, which took a bit too much effort for my liking considering it was their mistake.

But the joke's on me, I can never go back to ADSL speeds. (My exchange, even though I'm in inner-city Melbourne, only has Telstra as an ADSL 2+ provider, but I'm only guaranteed ADSL 1 speeds.)

The only problem with Telstra cable is that you are still restricted by the bandwidth of the server you are downloading from. I can download a 10GB file in 20 minutes on Steam or iTunes, but the latest episode of Game of Thrones will still take a day to download as thousands of people are trying to download the same episode at once. But you do have 100Mbps of bandwidth, theoretically, so there's nothing really stopping you from downloading ten different episodes at once at a fast clip.

Telstra is actually looking at slowing down BitTorrent speeds but it's only in trial at the moment. I'm not sure what's happening there.

So cable is the way to go. How about customer service? How do you find Telstra?

Good as gold if you get onto an Aussie. Some of the tee-dubs (Third-Worlders) can be a bit iffy. The tee-dub techo's are usually OK.

Believe it or not, the standalone 100Mbps 200GB Telstra plan is now $109 per month. Telstra and Optus don't share their cable network.

yeah i saw that.

Naked plans start from $59pm. Rarely push above 40gb pm.

I found Telstra nightmarish to deal with when I swapped to them for a Foxtel/cable/phone bundle. But once everything was sorted, the cable connection has been excellent with no dropouts and consistently fast speeds.