Car Accident Issues

Glad you are ok GRR, just a point to remember if you are the right turner and you see it all the time when you look.

Have your wheels pointed straight ahead and when it is clear turn. Most people park in the middle of the road with their wheels pointed in the direction of where they are turning.
If the Audi driver had her wheels pointed straight ahead she still would have been shunted but not into traffic. Safer and a better outcome for everyone.

6 Likes

LMW had all sorts of trouble getting this claim through recently.

What an awful experience. Glad to hear you’re ok. Don’t hesitate to go to the Dr if you have any soreness, especially your neck, in the coming days. I expect you’ll feel shaken up for a little while yet. The third party you pay on your registration will cover all of this.
The Insurance companies will sort things out for you. I would think yours probably requested the hire car via his.
Take care
Edit: just saw that the traffic trauma people have been in touch which is good

3 Likes

Did the truck just swerve into you Wim?

My daughter.
But yeah, right turn from the middle lane, didn’t realise she was siting there.

Edit: duh, left turn.

1 Like

I hope your daughter is ok - must have been a pretty scary moment!
Looking at that it’s hard to imagine why there’d be problem with the claim.

Hope she’s fine. The problem is a lot of people don’t realise roads are seriously risky. Myself included. The reality check is you might be doing everything to the letter of the law and then someone hits you from the side totally unpredictably. A defensive mindset helps, but as your daughter and I discovered, it’s no guarantee and it’s a pity more drivers aren’t aware of this.

2 Likes

She is fine.
It was a couple months ago now. But she didn’t get the guy’s address and apparently that was enough for Coles not to want to pay.
Had his phone number. His employer. And that photo and statement from a witness and we pretty much had to threaten going to the ombudsman in the end.

So many bad drivers out there.

1 Like

Photo of the drivers licence. Every time. And check the back.

Best advice to anyone.

7 Likes

As others have mentioned the best you can do is get as much info on the true market value of your car. The market right now is significantly inflated for many second hand cars BUT I highly doubt the book values insurance companies use will have been updated accordingly. Don’t be surprised if the initial offer is very low & something you couldn’t replace what you had with. Contact your insurance company & ask them what the process will be to contest offers from his insurance. Your company should be able to give you their replacement valuation they would use if you had written the car off yourself. Keep a copy of advertised replacements to send to his insurance company for any challenge. You will need to get the details of the “adjuster” at his insurance company as they will be the person who makes the offers & can change them based on evidence you supply.

1 Like

Went to an accident once with the fire brigade, nothing major. Girl had a minor fender bender.

The mum turned up and was legitimately going into shock. She wasn’t in the accident, but just couldn’t think.

“What do I do? I’ve never had an accident before?”
“Get the other driver’s details and call your insurance company. They’ll explain everything.”
“I just don’t know what to do.”
“Call your insurance company.”
“Like, this has never happened before. What on earth am I meant to do?”
“Sigh… call your insurance company.”
“I just… don’t… what should I do?”

But I empathise. Accidents are stressful. People don’t have many in their lifetime. This is probably the worst thing that has happened to many people and they don’t have the experience to manage it in the moment. The number of times people don’t get all the details isn’t surprising considering the stress.

1 Like

I would deal with my own insurance - that’s what you pay them for. I wouldn’t leave it to the tradies insurance to sort it out they’re more interested in him/her than you. (There should also be a claim against the Audi driver because like so many if she hadn’t had her wheel turned when rearend she would have gone straight ahead).

Glad you’re OK. Sounds pretty nasty.

I’d just be contacting the hire car company to confirm that the insurance company is paying for it. I’ve heard of some pretty shifty dealings around that kind of stuff.

1 Like

Every day now I see near misses and terrible driving, not saying I’m mr perfect, and its definitely getting worse on the roads.
I reckon insurance companies should offer a discount if you put in dashcam and it helps to sort out any issues.
@GRR , glad you’re all safe and injury free. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Hope it all works out ok with the insurance.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have thought so

I had one of them about 2004. Just took the very front of the car off.

Had very similar happen to me about 500 m west of there (that’s Johnston and Nicholson in Abbotsford I think). I was in Punt Rd turning left going walking pace waiting for pedestrian traffic to clear when a truck that had been on my right with no indication of turning suddenly indicated left (from the middle lane) and suddenly turned into me. I was honking watching the oblivious driver in his huge mirror not even look. Turns out he didn’t realise it was a left turn lane that I was in at that hour (thought it was bus only, and didn’t notice any buses). Now, I’m used to big semis using the left (turning) lane and ‘borrowing’ some of the adjacent middle lane to get enough turning circle, but this was a medium removal sized truck so he didn’t need to do that; he had just misunderstood the signs.

Initially my insurance person said “it’s your fault because you can’t overtake a turning truck”. Anyway, the direction of the scrapes on my car and the moved tie-downs on the truck, pics of the road signs and lane arrows proved he was going past me from a lane he shouldn’t have turned from rather than me doing any single thing wrong, but I’d had to pay an excess before getting it refunded later. I thought about lodging a complaint about the excess - struck me as just them bolstering working capital with a small free loan. But it got sorted in the end.

Edit - when I spoke to the second person at the insurance co they said the person initially taking the details and commenting on fault had no role in that and were talking out of line…

Just keep an eye in your aches and pains. I got knocked off a pushie by a taxi once - rolled off the corner of the windscreen and landed in a heap. I was fit at the time and thought I was ok. Couple days later had terrible joint pain in hips and shoulders. No proper injuries but I got told sometimes there are and they get masked by shock.

1 Like

It is not in the road rules and she did not cause the accident, however the claims go in order of who hit who. So @GRR insurance claims against the Audi Driver insurance who claims against the person who started it.

1 Like