Car Accident Issues

Mate the amount of claims I see where people try to squeeze is ridiculous!

Cheers. As of yesterday our insurer is handling the claim which is a relief.

3 Likes

Perfect!

Hate to post this here but couldn’t find a suitable car thread.

Well we’ve had a payout from our insurance mob, at the redbook low end but such is life, although the guilty party’s insurance mob are still spinning the wheels over liability which could affect our no claim status, which is a total joke as they have already conceded and paid out the Audi the tradie hit before he bounced into oncoming traffic, namely us.

More importantly we need a car and it’s doing our head in. We want what is apparently called a subcompact hatch. Went to a car yard in Mornington and they nearly convinced us to buy a MG3 but then we were underwhelmed by the online reviews.

Any advice on a subcompact, eg medium size hatch, models and years, would be much appreciated. Seriously have no idea, sort of like my footy knowledge.

Whatever car you end up buying, make sure you get the proper GPS.

3 Likes

What’s your budget presumably $20K given you looked at the MG. , and do you want new or old?

I think the cars you’re after are going to be from this range.

Toyota Corolla
Mazda 3
VW Golf
Hyundai i30?
Ford Focus

If moneys no object each of these brands is usually going to have a high end ‘hot hatch’, and of course you could go up to BMW/Audi/MERC

If I were buying one of these on a budget I’d probably lean towards Toyota or Mazda. I just have never heard anyone having problems with them, particularly Toyota. FWIW I have a VW Golf, but they get expensive once you add everything in.

1 Like

An older model Golf is a pretty good option. The folks have a 10 year old golf and the feature list honestly hasn’t changed drastically in that time.

1 Like

Money is definitely an option, if it was just me I’d be looking for a rust bucket, but it’s not just me. The Mornington yard were asking 18 k for a new MG3 core, which was a bit beyond my range, although my better half was willing to go north. 7 year warranty was appealing, more so than the car. Reviews were less than assuring.

A major issue is that my Better Half has a neck issue and struggles with the headrests which push her head forward. Literally the only car she copes with is the one we’re using at the moment, an older Ford Fiesta, my daughter’s car, she’s in NSW till early next year. My BH sat in a newer Ford Fiesta today but it was no better than the others. Asked the sales guy if you could swap the headrests but he said no. Life’s a beech.

So, a second hand Ford Fiesta then?

1 Like

If it was me, absolutely, but she has her heart set on something newer. Anyway thanks for the heads up, reckon we’ll look into the Toyoto option. Really appreciate the help.

1 Like

No worries.

It’s a big investment, but you have to be happy, and so does the Mrs

1 Like

Just on the headrest issue I also find it difficult but if you raise it a little the worst of the forward tilt is above your head. (May not be the safest way to have it but is more comfortable).
Good luck with your purchase.

1 Like

buy your daughter a new car and you guys have the fiesta.

1 Like
2 Likes

OK, a purely personal comment based on narrow experience of a recent trip to Mildura, BUT some of the pilots behind the wheels of massive articulated vehicles are ■■■■■■■ cowboys. And I mean like seriously off their ■■■■■■■ heads. Reckon the reds must be on special at the moment.

1 Like

unrealistic deadlines and rampant meth use gonna be the cause again?

Who knows what happened. But car drivers can be ■■■■■ too. People pulling into lanes in front of trucks, not giving them much room to brake.

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe, but I’m talking about psychopaths auditioning for starring roles in the sequel to Duel, set along the Calder. Actually the Sturt Highway was worse.

1 Like
1 Like