Caravanning

Caravaning. It appears to be the trendy thing to do at present so as usual, I’m getting on board a little late.

We are planning on doing a big trip next year. We’ll head up the middle of Oz and then across to the east coast and work our way down over about a total of 13 weeks.

We aren’t all that adventurous so it’ll be mostly caravan parks rather than free camps in the middle of BF nowhere. One thing I have been looking at is taking the Savannah Way from Borroloola to Karumba. I’m sure a blitzer or 2 would have travelled this way. I’m after any recommendations or suggestions from those that have.

I’m also after any caravaning tales, must do’s/don’ts and places to visit. Also pics of setups would be cool too.

Ok…go!

7 Likes

Mate , been on the road for 6 months. Crossed Nullarbor presently in Karratha . 30 degrees and swimming each day. If on Facebook join Caravan and camping group. Great info. Haven’t done you planned trip but will try and add some useful info for you, btw some great donation sites along the way that are like caravan parks. This is a great country for sure.

5 Likes

6 months??? Lucky you.

Thanks for the FB tip. Have just joined the group. Lots to digest. I’ve also been following the Big Lap group.

What type of van have you got? Off road? If you can get up to Lawn Hill NP - then worth the detour. Magic place.

Also - get on to a site called Station Hoppers. They list all of the stations you can stay at and there are some pretty amazing places to visit.

1 Like

We’ve got one on order at present. We did go the offroad version just in case we got a bit adventurous. It’s only a Jayco. Thought we’d start low and see how much we enjoy/use it when we return. If we get the bug we’ll upgrade no doubt.

I’ve been looking at Lawn Hill. Looks amazing. I didn’t realise how many waterholes and gorges there were around the place.

1 Like

Well while you’re up there - may as well stop by - only adds a few hours on to the trip and road in when I went was fine but obviously check, as road conditions change often.

It’s worth at least a 2 night stay.

You can kayak the gorge and get close to freshies.

1 Like

Blitzers too good for caravans? :joy:

Mate I’d love one, can’t bloody afford it though!

1 Like

Nope, trip to Perth in April/May was awesome, campfire was at Balladonia, WA. Current van is jayco freedom, will be a couple of years before trading up to an ensuite/bunk van. I did the savannah way all the way across back in 04, graders out there all the time, drive to conditions and you’ll be fine. Welcome to caravaning its a blast.

7 Likes

PSA

please. If you’re driving on the great ocean road, use the ‘slow vehicle pull out’ areas. And rather than drive like a snail so you can enjoy the view, pull over and soak it up.

Some of us just want to get to where we’re going.

3 Likes

I was shocked when I started looking. A mate just bought one more expensive than my first house.

How have you found the Jayco?

Man I hope I’m in front of you one day. :joy:

3 Likes

The jayco suits our needs for now, we are only 3 years into caraving ourselves, 1st van was a millard 15ft, now the 2007 18ft jayco. We prefer to stay in parks for now but eventually want something we can spend a couple of nights in being self sufficient, its a good tough van and did the nearly 8000km trip to Perth and back with no problems. Keep them regularly serviced and they are fine.

1 Like

I like you Klawdy, so my advice is don’t go here

7 Likes

I’m the kind of person that needs everything setup perfectly for off the grid, otherwise it’ll do my head in. Will see how we go this time and go from there.

1 Like

Not sure on your route. Will post up some great places we stayed.
One of the best - Kimba rec reserve. Donation job . Awesome

1 Like

Anywhere near the Nullarbor . No facilities but Bunda cliffs , breathtaking .

1 Like

Feeling mutual!!

2 Likes

If your van doesn’t have a shower, then go for this. Fantastic bit of kit.

2 Likes

And this is the station hoppers link

1 Like

I got my first van just before covid hit so didn’t get to use it during lockdowns but since have given it a good workout. It’s a Jayco eagle an older model but sturdy as and heaps of room inside. Only downfall is setting up takes a bit longer so not ideal for overnight stays. Can store plenty of stuff in it as well. The other bonus is it fits in the garage but can only wind up 3/4 of the way but can still get inside and dry it out if needed. We just leave it 3/4 up all the time when home. Would like to upgrade to a expander or something in the future but only problem with that is we will need to get stored somewhere in-between trips because won’t fit in garage or driveway. It sleeps up to 6.

Excuse the Collingwood surfboard, couldn’t get it in red and black😆

2 Likes