The Tennis thread

This is simply not true.

I have a son too, though. Is that points off?

Thread’s turning into Family Feud.

1 Like

I side with you guys on this kerfuffle, yet I have three sons. I’m so sorry.

1 Like

I reckon Grant Denyer would have a daughter. That dude is wise

Yes it is.

giphy

2 Likes

Coaching from the box is not determined by who the coach is but by the relationship between the player and the person delivering the message.

EG - The umpire who coached Kyrigos is of no relation to him and therefore its not deemed as coaching

To make this more clear for you as you seem to be unreasonably stubborn on this whole thing if Serena’s partner, friend, mum, sister, aunt, child sent a hand signal from the box which indicate a specific part of her game to conentrate on, whether she saw it or not it is considered as coaching.

This whole diversion you mention about Kyrigos is simply not true. He has people in his box and they are still able to signal messages.

My favourite line from that movie, l used to throw it around a bit but as a teacher l realized it could have been taken the wrong way, so l had to stop. It always makes me laugh, still.

3 Likes

But they don’t get called for it. For at least the 5th farking time, hardley anyone gets called for it let alone in the final of a Slam.

Still no confirmation of daughter status?

1 Like

And again that is not really true, they get called on it quite a lot. Just rarely in a final. Doesn’t make the call wrong though, it was still a breach of the rules.

C’mon Diggers. That supposed solid ground doesn’t justify her acting like a petulant child.
Her reaction was a disgrace.

Yes the enforcing of this rule by tennis umpires is inconsistent and it needs to be sorted out.
But if she was smart she would have sucked it up on court and hammered him in the press afterwards.
If she’d channeled her anger in the right way she may have even come back. She made it near impossible for herself by giving away a free game.

You can bag the inconsistency of the umpiring all you like. It doesn’t justify her disgraceful behaviour. She wants to use the “i’m a mother card”. How about showing her daughter that you accept the umpires decision?

It was a call to be made because she was being coached.

I will have you know they are definitely baby boomer lefty bullshitisms, there is nothing to like about any gen z.

You can’t deny that her coach wasn’t coaching her- he admitted to it, it’s not up to the umpire to determine whether or not Serena heeded said coaching, if anything it was a warning to her coaches box to stop. Her reaction is what warranted the penalty; if you call an umpire a cheat or a thief you deserve to be punished, period.

2 Likes

I think tennis umpires in general show remarkable restraint.

Imagine the speed and the duration of the sinbinning you’d cop if you spoke like that to a rugby ref.

■■■■ SERENA

IT’S NOVAK TIME

NOLE
NOLE
NOLE

1 Like

he is back and that makes things very interesting amongst the big three

1 Like

NOVAK now equals Sampras with 14 on the all time leaderboard. Reckon you can make a strong argument that he’s the second best player EVER (behind Federer… for now) and ahead of Rafa as he’s won 12 of 17 at the French, and sad that he missed an entire year.