The Tennis thread

Simple challenge for diggers. Draw a caricature of Serena Williams throwing a tanty, complete with an angry/tantrum face which is the whole point of the cartoon, in normal cartoon style (ie exaggerating physical features), in a way that you would say was not racist, and post it.

4 Likes

How about everyoneā€™s speaks in a Chinese accent without being racist?

I canā€™t think of a single reason to get involved in this discussionā€¦ Crikey Moses!

7 Likes

Itā€™s really difficult now, because whenever this sort of thing hits it becomes all you can find.

But I did take a look around about twelve hours ago, and to my not surprise there were plenty.
It really is not difficult to not portray herā€¦like that.

But hereā€™s one.

1 Like

At the end of the day Serena is a great champion of the game. She can have her unsaoury moments nut thats her for better or worse.

How the ā– ā– ā– ā–  can anyone look at that caricature and NOT think itā€™s racist? Give me strength.

Take your white privileged male glasses off for 5 seconds please.

4 Likes

Hoist that flag a little bit higherā€¦ Just higher than the next guy.

8 Likes

What is it that you donā€™t get about racism and male White priviledge

Oh, somebodyā€™s signalling harderā€¦ better up the game.

10 Likes

Bwahahaha Ramos has been given the role as chair umpire of the US Croatia Davis Cup. Nice trolling ITF!

1 Like

I am sure as a privileged white male you can teach us all about racism.

2 Likes

or virtue signalling

1 Like

Not sure thatā€™s a great example. The cartoon is mocking some guy called Wilson. The tennis player is generic/interchangeable. In most cartoon styles, the ā€˜backgroundā€™ person is drawn generically, the mocked person is the one thatā€™s lampooned by (usually) both image and words. Have a look at the depiction of Wilson. Thin neck, goggly eyes etc.

Plenty of cartoons when I was growing up depicted Macenroe as a baby with mouth bigger than his body, frizzy hair to the moon, dummy bouncing out.

I guess the point is that mocking people by both image and words is pretty much what cartoonists do. I can understand that some think you need to be more careful in some areas, but I find that dangerous too.

If you can mock a Macenroe or John Howard or julia Gillard by exaggerating their features, then it shouldnā€™t be necessarily inherently racist to depict someone unflatteringly because they happen to be black.

Male I am, privileged - maybe (not like serena though!). White -well you decide- half Chinese and half Italian, growing up in the 60s and 70s in totally white bread (initially country) communities - I had a bucketful of racism directed at me. When kids snigger and mock when they see your dad, or gather round and point at you singing ā€˜Ching Chong chinamanā€™ you get a certain sensitivity to actual racism. I just dislike when that card gets pulled in a way that looks for offence.

18 Likes

Maybe the problem here is that people simply donā€™t understand caricature.

1 Like

Under the current rules doping is illegal, hence it should be enforced, but they will not touch a money spinner (unless theyā€™re Russian). Williams at this time is most likely breaking the rules. Seeing as there are too many conflicts of interest to police it properly, I believe doping should be legal. If a player wants to turn into a man or risk dying, then thatā€™s their problem. I donā€™t see how this made my post lose credability. ā€¦

1 Like

Can all privileged white males please refrain from commenting on the aforementioned cartoon.

Only those who areā€¦. <fill in the blank> are allowed to comment.

8 Likes

LOL.

Honestly you do realise the only people who speak like this are absolute delusional fkwits off the internet?

3 Likes

Fxd

1 Like

yep - agree.

Black people have a long history of being depicted like that in cartoons as a pretty openly racist form of mockery.

I doubt it was intended to be racist, but this cartoon was always going to conjure up a pretty nasty past and upset a lot of people, particularly in the US where issues of race are still very real and very raw. If the Herald Sun had an ounce of awareness and cultural and historical sensitivity, it would not have published it, or at least drawn it in a way that prevented these comparisons.

5 Likes