Cars for the people

Tesla Australia. New starting prices (in AUD):

• Model 3 RWD: $63,900 (2.4% drop)
• Model 3 LR: $76,900 (3.9% drop)
• Model 3 P: $89,900 (1.9% drop)
• Model Y RWD: $68,900 (2.4% drop)
• Model Y P: $94,900 (2.4% drop)

has musk solved the 18 month wait on parts?

Down to about 2 months on most parts in Australia.

But apparently it does vary depending on bit needed. It seems that latest models are more reliable and better made, but time will tell.

My wife has a Citroen which is the second one that she has owned. It is a DS6 and she loves it although it replaced a CS5 that had the hydro pneumatic suspension that was more comfortable than an armchair. It was a really elegant car for the price. It wasn’t fast but was really good to drive on our country roads.

Citroen have been an innovative company, maybe not so much now but they introduced a lot of firsts into their cars.

Ta thanks. Reliability wise how has it been?

Is Citreon on par with owning a german vehicle?

I’ve had four Citroëns, a GSA from the late 70s, a DS19 from 1974, a Xantia which was early 2000s, and a 2010 C5. They all had the hydro pneumatic suspension, and in a total of probably 20-22 years of Citroën ownership I never had a single problem with it. Nor with the engines of any of the cars. With the early ones, there were some peripheral problems, eg with the GSA a side window fell off its railing and smashed inside the car door, and the clutch cable on the DS broke one night on the Geelong Road, which was a pain. I had the C5, the last one, for 8 years and it was a gem of a car: really beautiful shape and utterly reliable with never a hint of a problem with any of the mechanicals. The only annoyance was there were no usable cup holders (the French don’t do takeaway coffee). To my great regret I sold it earlier this year and bought a RAV 4.

The hydropneumatic suspension was never trusted by the general public despite the fact that it was totally reliable and incredibly comfortable, and they stopped manufacturing it in about 2014. All their cars now have conventional suspension. I believe they’re good, solid, reliable cars – some quirky looks but very practical. My C5 was a 2 litre diesel with a lot of power and a delight on the open road. All the current models are petrol only and even on the large C5X it’s only 1.6 litres; 133 KW maximum power but that comes at 5550 rpm.

3 Likes

In China Citreon introduced the upmarket DS line about 8 years ago, very nice designs.

We had no major dramas with either Citroen that we owned, both diesels and good economy, but basically only highway - rural road use. The C5 was on the original brake pads when it was sold with about 110K kms on the clock. Like Shelton said, I wish that car wasn’t sold but the DS has now got about 160K on it.

There were a couple of minor issues under warranty with the C5 and recently replaced the battery in the DS which cost a bit and it is tucked away so not easy to access or service yourself.

1 Like

Probably totally unrelated to the fact he’s tanked the stock about 9 quazillion in 6 months.

So they dont have competitive advantage on suspension anymore?

Im looking for an a magic carpet ride under 80k.

Every incredible ride I’ve ever been blessed with(hire cars, rich friends and family etc) that ride has come in a Rolls,Jag,Range Rover, S class etc

Lovely cars but all out of my price range both on ticket price and ongoing servicing.

Id never go a rav4.

Yes i get toyotas build quality but the cabin upfront in the new one feels claustrophobic . And still a bit too truck like for an SUV.

Im considering test driving the Citroen C5 X. Which i think is closer to a Subaru Outback but more targeted towards onroad comfort.

I’ve never been in one of the conventional suspension Citroëns. I’ve been told that the ride is pretty good but not as good as the hydropneumatic. And yes, they no longer have that competitive advantage.

I wouldn’t buy a C5X. For me the engine is just too small and has to work too hard to produce any power. One of the many great things about my C5 was that if you wanted to overtake on a country road you could just press your foot down a bit and the car would effortlessly speed up 20-30kmh and cruise quietly past the other car. Plus there was the pleasure of cruising up a long and fairly solid slope at 100 kph and never dropping out of top gear.

1 Like

Just ordered* an Hyundai Ioniq5 EV. At first I thought it was fugly, but really like it now. The kicker was being FBT exempt on a novated lease. Saves about me $30K.

• they had 250 cars go online, placing deposit just gives you the option to buy.

Should be delivered in 4-6 weeks as the cars are already in Australia.

2 Likes

I saw carwow (Matt Watson, the scouser) do a review on the IONIQ 6 on YouTube last night.

Seemed to be the IONIQ 5 in everything but its outward styling.

I’m heading into Warrnambool KIA in a fortnight with a birthday card. One year since I put down a deposit on an EV6. NZ waiting time seems to be about 3 months, based on FB groups.

1 Like

Tesla has just dropped their prices.

Not hugely here but still a discount. A few grand i think erasing recent increases.

1 Like

Tell me re the fbt exempt bit?

Does that mean your car payments comes completely from pretax dollars?

Thus making it cheaper(as the government pays for some of it by paying less tax?)

Is it only BEVs?

So from my memory, and obviously check with the people who know better…

• low and zero emission vehicles are exempt from FBT when on a novated lease.
  • I think the hybrids, or plug in hybrids may have a cut off date, or at least getting reviewed prior to the battery EV.
  • so you find the car, and the novated lease co. buys it, and as it’s exempt of FBT you can have it for 100% personal use, no need to ■■■■ around with % work.
  • NL company gets paid by your work, before tax
  • so the higher the tax bracket you’re in, the better the tax benefit.
  • from memory, and roughly, the car is going to cost me $1,000 per month from my take home pay. Including all on road costs, rego, servicing. The same car purchased through loan would cost $1,500 excluding on road costs from my take home pay.
  • the car must be under the luxury car threshold, which is about $84,916
  • it’s a no brainer if you’re buying a new car, have access to novated leasing and are in one of the higher tax brackets. (Not sure where the breakeven tax point is tho)
1 Like

Yep.

It’s interesting that this might drive some uptake, more so than any policy that incentivises car companies to preference AU market more than others.

NZ is getting more brands earlier than AU. Fricken NZ!

Cool, I googled and its BEV and PHEV vehicles. Hybrids like toyotas dont count.

Theres a few phev i dont mind. Most of my driving is city. So it’s probably going to save me.

And as you said if its 30 percent less because the government pays for it(forgone tax revenue like negative gearing in a way)

Well thats got to be good.

Got to take advantage of all the perks at the expense of people who don’t.

1 Like

From what I can see, most countries had a window of about 3 years of these types of tax benefits to get people/businesses moving.

After that it’s back to be screwed, but prices will likely come down with cheaper models, competition and availability.

We recently bought a 5 yr old bmw x3… equally comfy as the Rangie I used yo have ( obviously doesn’t touch it off road but then nothing does) but for the price, it’s a magnificent car.

1 Like