Cars for the people

Sounds like you haven’t spent much time riding in an open car. I only ever lost my hat once driving my MG and that was on Chapel St. going about 10 mph, because l hadn’t put it on properly. The airstream over the windscreen pushes hats down and they aren’t a problem. I once drove from Melbourne to Noosa with the roof down the entire way, and that was the only time l ever got windburn.

I meant more form a sunburn angle but yeah not much time in a convertible

I hope this MG is decent(the 4) as the others to hit our shore have been garbage.

I temper all of the british press on them as i think they have a bit of affinity for the marque(for obv reasons)

Interestingly MG have sold more cards to us than all of the UK so far. So a bit bemused we havent had the car sooner.

1 Like

Good news for EV buyers: Tesla recently dropped prices by up to 20% in the US, after missing delivery targets in the final quarter of 2022.

In the face of an increasingly competitive EV market, uncertain economic conditions, and a share price down 65% in 2022, Tesla is hoping to boost demand through the lower prices.

The price cuts have flowed down to Australia as well – although they haven’t been as generous. Here’s Tesla’s Australian prices, according to The Driven:

• Model 3 rear-wheel drive: $63,900 (2.4% drop)
  • Model 3 long range: $76,900 (3.9% drop)
  • Model 3 performance: $89,900 (1.9% drop)
  • Model Y rear-wheel drive: $68,900 (2.4% drop)

Model Y performance: $94,900 (2.4% drop)

1 Like

Yeah so thats basically the pre pandemic pricing. Theres a site somewhere that shows you.

I think model y basic is a touch more % wise as the cut brought it under the luxury tax threshold

Had a squiz at that website. Good news it has on charging.

Tesla are creating 15 supercharger bay sites at Albury, Marulan, Raymond Terrace and Coffs thanks to some assistance from the NSW taxpayer.

Will make the drive from Melb to Syd or Syd to Bris to much easier. No queue you would assume and a very quick top up.

From what I can tell Tesla standard range cars give you about 2 hours of driving (highway). That would be ok for me if it maintained that. Id probably like the longer range. For a city car though not necessary.

15 bays or 15 sites (with presumably more than 15 bays)?

15 bays at each site 4 different sites

Raymond terrace and Coffs should get people to the Gold Coast in most EVs with a real range of 350 or more(ex Sydney).

Similarly with Marulan and Albury.(syd to melb)

Although maybe theres a short stop elsewhere both ways depending on car. I wouldnt want to do it unless my car comfortably got 400kms with aircon on.

There would be other sites in between.

The fact they are superchargers would make it comfortable. Quick stops

1 Like

Edit so yeah you could do jt in a standard tesla, but for speed of recharge and no anxiety you would want the long range version to go melb to syd or syd to brisbane.

Personally i would hate to do that trip in a car in one day. Id probably look for overnight accom anyhow.

6 hours is about my top for driving for a day then im done(inc stops). So really a 350-400km real world range would do me just fine here.

If the taxpayer is putting in a single brass razoo, their chargers should be compatible with all charge port types.

I assume that’s the case.

1 Like

No idea, the nsw government is cofunding charging sites. So a provider has to stump up half.

I understand only Tesla have put their hand up to do it because there is SFA other electric vehicles on the road at the moment.

I do know that the chargers that tesla own have been made available to other vehicles overseas.

The NRMA here is another organisation building good infrastructure. All over the state

Theres a website which has sites that have been approved all over nsw. You can I assume start a biz, pay for half get the govt to pay the other and charge people to recharge their cars there.

EV is boring face lift i20n is where its at

3 Likes

I’m into the i30N fastback. Wouldn’t mind a manual car before my knees give up the ghost.

a friends getting the hatch delivered soon, should be a similar drive id imagine?

Yeah you’d think so. Pretty cool looking cars too.

Why would you only be doing 350-400km in 6 hours on a highway…?

60kmh or 70kmh highway…?

I drive for about 2-3 hours at a time before a break tops. Usually cooked just after 2.

Arrive alive.

. So yeah even at 110km/h thats under 350kms.

As long as theres convenient charging infrastructure and i have say 10% charge left so its a quick 10 min supercharged recharge.

I think for highway driving the long distance teslas are about it for electric cars under a 100k that are worth it for a road trip. Maybe the Kias?

Hey guys, I wanted to get an old imported corvette (1976) from US from an auction here hopefully at a cheap price. does any know roughly the costs to get it registered and compliance in Aus. Am I looking at 5k or more say 10k?

No idea, but 5k would sound cheap. Although your leaving it LHD? Conversions are what cost a packet afaik.

Interesting car(for an SUV)

Mazda cx-60.

A plug in hybrid which comes in diesel. So a 2 tonne braked towing capacity and the ability to drive around town on pure electric.

Not sure what the min a typical nomad needs to tow a small caravan. Or how the fuel efficiency would work our highway driving.

I think Toyota are bringing out a hybrid Prado.

I reckon it’ll be a big hit. Though I’d prefer less huge cars on the road.

1 Like