Cars for the people

1 Like

So does anyone make fast small cars anymore except for Subaru and Audi, wtf happened to the Mitsubishi EVO?
The VW is just a dressed down Audi.

Actually it’s the other way around.
The small Audis are just a VW in a ballgown

1 Like

Amarok are the best, especially the auto. People say ranger but I didn’t think that was as good.

1 Like

Rangers are pretty good.
Interior is cheap though.
And a good spec Amarok is pretty pricey.

1 Like

its the era of hot hatches, catch up

also the new wrx’s are as big as commodores.

hyundai has some exciting stuff coming too.

https://www.motoring.com.au/hyundai-unleashes-i30-fastback-n-114840/

2 Likes

How small and how fast?

VW Golf R series is small-mid 0-100 in 4.8-5.00 sec I think. I have this and it’s plenty quick.

Merc have an A Series

Ford Focus RS

HONDA Civic R Type

Reckon everyone has gone past Impreza for interior.

BMW M2/3?

What’s your budget?

1 Like

This is small and fast.images

Also appropriate colors

1 Like

Ranger would probably be your best bet as an allrounder.

1 Like

Some good ones mentioned already.

I also really like the Renault Megane RS.

1 Like

Been looking at tritons, msinly because of price…

Nothing wrong with a Triton mate. I’m not a fan of the styling, but the vehicle is quite capable.

Mazda BT 50 is also not a bad choice if they are around. Basically a Ranger with different topping.

1 Like

Well, I am on the way home from buying a 2014 4x4 dualcab Triton.
Pretty chuffed with it actually.

Sad to say goodbye to my 2000 Hilux with all my membership stickers on the tailgate though…

4 Likes

Congrats mate. Nice machine, you’ll love it.

1 Like

Thanks mate.

Closest Ive been to having a new car so Im enjoying the (albeit very basic) luxuries compared to what Im used to.

1 Like

Does anyone here know anything about CVT (continuously variable transmission)? More and more cars seem to have it. I’ve googled it a number of times and all the reviews seem to say that it’s rare to get beyond 100,000 km without significant problems developing. I’m no engineer and I can’t come close to understanding fully how it works, but I can’t help feeling that any transmission that never actually locks into a gear and is permanently ready to slide to a lower ratio is inherently unstable and problematic. Do others here have different views?

I’ve never had a nice car, but I like nice cars.
So if you like nice cars, watch Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix.
You don’t even have to like Jerry, or the guests, or coffee.

Hate them. Don’t like using them, and they don’t last. That said the very new ones are a bit better life expectancy wise. But still, crappy things.

1 Like

My wife has a 2016 HRV, 22,000s kms.
But we recently had twins and it is a bit squishy with a 5 year old and all kids being in car seats.

I see our options as a big SUVs or a van.

Kia carnival
Toyota Tarago
Honda Oddyssey rare as hens teeth in Tassie (near new)

Or suv
Mazda CX-9
Toyota Kluger
Volvo XC90

Looking at probably 2016 and a couple of years older models.

I drive a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander diesel. Absolutely love it. I tried them all, and found the Mazda too big, the Kluger is just bland, and the Volvo was just uninspiring. Take a Santa Fe for a run. The Mazda is a good vehicle but ■■■■■■ BIG. The Kia Sorrento would be worth a look too.