Cars for the people

The Mrs needs to pick a new work car, and she’s leaning towards the Kia Sportage.
Anyone had any experience with the Sportage or Kia in general? I had the impression they were a bit cheaper and bits might fall off but not sure why I thought that.
Any other medium SUVs she should consider?

I’m biased, but I would choose a Japanese car over a Korean one. Generally speaking, a better build/ higher quality. Not sure on prices in OZ, however, in that SUV range, I would choose a Subaru Forester, Mazda CX-5, or a Honda CR-V in that order before the Kia Sportage. Those three have better fuel efficiency, more space and in terms of the Subaru, a higher safety rating.

1 Like

Cool thanks. Since it’s a work car she won’t have to worry about petrol, servicing or retail value, just comfort and styling. Not sure if those other options are on the list but I’ll have a look.

Korean cars by default have more bells and whistles. Their quality had improved a lot.

Cx5 would probably drive the best. I’d avoid the Subaru unless she drives down some mud tracks otherwise go test drive and pick the best one.

2 Likes

We’ve had a Kia Sportage for awhile now (previous model now off warranty) and the car is a trooper, no major problems, don’t reckon there is any discernable difference in quality anymore.

Having said that I don’t like the styling on the current one, I would go with the Hyundai Tuscon amongst the Koreans, very similar build wise.

Nothing wrong with all the others mentioned above, but I reckon Subi’s are a bit boring and overrated.

It’s amazing how the ride has turned.

Subaru once represented great value for money and in some models a bit extra herbs.

Kia/Hyundai were the ‘Kmart’ version of cars.

Now it’s almost the exact opposite.

1 Like

subi engines are also the same engine from 3 generations ago.

I say this looking to be buying a G3 wrx STi in the coming months.

1 Like

They are also a bit more expensive to run. Extra service p/a and boxer motor apparently.

I’ve test driven quite a few medium sedans/wagons recently and they were a bit lacklustre. But not a wrexy, alas I need a family car.

As a loyal Subi customer here in Japan, I disagree with the Subi hate. Safety wise, they are unparalleled compared with the other cars mentioned above. Superior suspension & handling & their engines (yes, @Kj_11 - boxer engine - the same one used in some Porsche cars) are far better than the engines in those other cars. :grin:

p.s. I’m just about to go past 200,000 km in my 2010 Subaru Legacy wagon (badged as a Liberty in OZ) & it’s still running smoothly. Has been a super reliable family & work car over the past decade.

p.p.s. @Kj_11 - have you test driven the new GT Tourer Levorg STI Sport (wagon)? Here is a link (soz - in Japanese).

JR, can’t agree on the Subaru. Used to be a fanboi, but the engines have lost all zip.

Owned about 5 of them.

Styling poxy.

Safety is first class though.

Fair enough.

I also took the 2018 WRX for a spin not that long ago & it still had plenty of zip. Not sure they have lost all that much - more a case of them being built on the same platform as days gone by, so their performance has kinda plateaued. Price to performance, I still think Subaru offers value.

Upon reflection, I’d prolly go for the CX-5 in terms of the SUV range (rather than the Sportage). Do Mazdas still hold their value in OZ? Once upon a time they did. Cheers.

I can’t get behind the current gen wrx, looks like it competes with a commodore.

the shame about subaru is their engines have essentially been the same for 15 years.

The FA24 is a new engine (I think)?

In other news, I hear Toyota are bringing the Supra back.

1 Like

The ‘irony’ being that the best thing about the old Supra was its archaic iron block straight six.

1 Like

@JohnRain

Not hate, they are bulletproof and top notch safety wise. Just getting a bit staid in general. Don’t know about costs in Japan, but here it is fact they cost a bit more. Lot of new cars only need serving once a year, they are still two.

I drove both of those, thought the liberty had a nice relaxed feel to the drive. The levorg, maybe it was the hype, but I just didn’t feel it.

Dislike the look of the new liberty and the bonnet scoop on the levorg is a bit try hard, otherwise I really liked the look.

Was considering getting the last gen liberty.

1 Like

VW Golf R is where it’s at, throw in the Wolfsburg pack and no need to keep looking.

Though the CarPlay can be a bit hit and miss with tethering. And I fricken hate the automatic braking when you’re trying to park next to a bush or overhanging tweet. System ■■■■■ itself every time.

Subarus expensive to service? I’ve got a 16 year old Outback (6cyl 3.0) and it’s costs me about $150 a year. Only a couple of things have ever gone wrong with it. It’s been so good that I can’t bring myself to part with it. Can’t stand the new ones, they’re like tanks. Considering a whole change of direction like a nice little manual BRZ.

1 Like

its a 16 year old car, cannot compare to current trends.

1 Like

I went out today and bought a Skoda Superb awd hatch. It has the engine from the Golf R in it. It’s a very slick machine.

4 Likes

My new car has been in country since 20/8 and only now has the dealer told me probably by end of month I’ll have it.

■■■■ quarantine.