Category B indigenous/multicultural rookies

An Irish trialist run a 2.69 for 20 metres - That is serious wheels.

Around world-best time, even…

Depends what you are measuring etc

These testing number don’t include reactions etc. I can’t find much in the way of testing records, but apparently Bolt goes about 2.85 including reactions out of blocks (and 1.6 or so for 20m flying) and Atkinson ran 2.73 in internal testing at Essendon back in the day.

Whatever, it’s quick!

Is this Gach?
He’d only played 2 years or so of footy, I think it’s pretty obvious there was more than average risk attached - just as there was with Draper, just as there is with Lavender.

Gach was the AA ruckman. Draper was a nobody. Lavender was a cricketer.
I think you’re arguing just for the sake of arguing. And not very well.

1 Like

He’d still only played 2 or 3 years of footy. He may have had a good year in TAC cup, and good for him, but he was/is miiiiiiles from the complete package: his kicking was rubbish, he didn’t find much of the ball outside the ruck. All things that (hopefully) would improve a lot with a few years in a good system.

If you think those aren’t risk factors, that’s fine for you, but I do.

Everyone has some risks. But my post was addressing your hilarious comparison to Draper and Lavender.

OK.

Didn’t he also have a fair amount of off field issues?

This whole conversation about whether a player is considered a risk or not is captivating.

The football season can’t come fast enough.

2 Likes

Not really worth a new thread, but I hope Conor’s talking us up and we sign one of them, I’m always for more category B rookies.

1 Like

A bit of further info:

Devereux, 20, clocked a 2.90sec 20m sprint time and a Combine-best 7.75sec in the agility test at the AFL Europe Combine, on top of being one of four prospects to reach at least 20 in the Yo-Yo test.

Towey, who is from the same county, Sligo, as Murphy, set the second-fastest 20m sprint time of 2.82sec, narrowly behind 19-year-old Ross McQuillan (2.77sec).

Armagh’s Ross McQuillan is an aggressive 18-year-old who also possesses fantastic vision and complemented those admirable attributes with an impressive showing in the sprint testing (2.77).

Mogan, also 19, stands just 173cm, but was another strong performer in the 20m sprint (2.95sec) and agility (7.83sec) and Yo-Yo testing (20.6).

I’d say we are keeping a very close eye on at least one of these guys.

Ross McQuillan sounds the best of the bunch, 188cm and highly rated in Gaelic having already made his senior debut. He is also a ginger.

3 Likes

Well worth exploring this avenue again.

If we could uncover another McKenna that would be awesome.

There’s also Jordan Morrisey who is a 20yo who was all but signed and then wasn’t

Anyone have an idea what che cockatoo-collins boys are doing?
he had one who quit footy at 13-14 back in 2014 so he would be 18-19 now, any chance we could pick him up as a player who hasnt played footy for 3+ years.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/former-power-star-che-cockatoocollins-son-quits-football-due-to-racist-attacks/news-story/691072b9cacdb66bc3eaa63858eb822f

Damn, that sucked. Terrible what some people say to others on a footy field.

1 Like

The ■■■■■■■ boundary umpire. Damn right he should have been banned for life.

1 Like

Sachem was racially abused by a boundary umpire in a club game, was allegedly called “■■■■■■’’ by the umpire and targeted with remarks from the official suggesting he should watch his back.

The Cockatoo-Collins family feels it was not consulted in the matter and was under the impression the umpire had been banned for two years, rather than two weeks.

If Cockatoo-Collins had his way, the umpire would be banned for life.

You’re ■■■■■■■ kidding me.
Fmd you’d have to haul me into a farking cell and keep me there if you wanted that low-life racist pos to keep his face intact.

1 Like

Wasn’t really sure where to put this, but thought it might interest some

https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/sport/country-football/tiwi-talents-kicked-more-than-half-the-goals-in-500-point-win/news-story/9cbab7ab5156bf3ffa86aeade2a338c2

Tiwi talents kicked more than half the goals in 500 point win

Raphaella Saroukos , NT News

July 22, 2019 4:56pm

Subscriber only

Three Tiwi Island football players were at the centre of a historic Australian rules football win in Victoria.

Great Western Lions beat the Ararat Eagles in Round 13 of the Mininera and District Football League by 509 points, 79.41. (515) to 1.0. (6), with 30 goals kicked in the last quarter.

Tiwi Islanders Gerrard Cunningham scored 21 goals, Steven Lorenzo scored 16 goals and Bradley Palipuaminni scored 8 goals.

Tiwi Bombers Gerrard Cunningham kicked 21 goals in the game. Picture: Supplied

Tiwi Bombers Gerrard Cunningham kicked 21 goals in the game. Picture: Supplied

Great Western Lions Football Netball Club president Tracey McCartney said the Territory talent transformed the club.

“They’ve just flourished, they’ve been absolutely excellent for the club,” she said.

Ms McCartney revealed in Round 11 the team suffered a devastating loss against Caramut, 1.20. (26) to 8.5. (53), when the trio had returned to Tiwi for a few weeks.

“The team has become a little bit reliant on them to win the game for us,” she said.

“We were certainly looking forward for the boys coming back for the game but we just didn’t think the result was going to be this extreme that’s for sure.”

Lorenzo was the first player to join the team last year, after player Nigel Sibson met him while playing for the Waratahs in Darwin during the off-season.

“This year we decided to explore further to get more players,” Ms McCartney said.

Cunningham and Palipuaminni joined the team this year and have made a remarkable impact in a short time.

“It’s just absolutely amazing talent, I think they must all just run around kicking footballs,” she said.

“Gerrard in his first game took his biggest hanging mark I’ve ever seen.

“Even Gerrard’s oldest daughter who’s 13, her skills kicking the football are amazing.”

Cunningham broke his record for amount of goals kicked. His last score was 14 goals in a game against the Buffalos in Darwin, while Palipuaminni record was nine goals in his debut game in Darwin.

The pair were excited to showcase their skills in Victoria but said they were still getting used to the weather.

“There’s a lot of communication and team effort,” said Palipuaminni.

“It’s a good bunch of people, a family club. sometimes I hate the weather when it rains and there’s frost and wind.”

“But when the suns out it’s all right,” said Cunningham.

The trio will return to Darwin during the Victorian off-season to continue playing Australian rules.

While Saturday’s game was a shining example of the trio’s talent, Ms McCartney said Great Western copped criticism on social media for the win, despite making every effort to make the game fair.

“As a team, we didn’t go out to flog these guys,” she said.

“Football is football. We do it because we want to win premierships. We needed a percentage booster but we were fair by all means.”

“I rallied all our supporters up to cheer them on. These guys were so disheartened. I was really feeling for them.

“We didn’t go out to set records, that wasn’t the case from the coach. The coach’s goal for this season was to make the finals and win 10 games. We’re third on the ladder, we’ll make the finals. We set goals and whatever bonus will be extra for us.”

9 Likes

WSPHU x3

1 Like