Category B indigenous/multicultural rookies

But we can have an indigenous showcase match in front of 70,000 people, with just one indigenous player representing our club.

I think considering where how club has been the last 5 years I can understand why we may not have offered as many opportunities to indigenous kids if it was likely they require more resources.

We did give Walla an opportunity in that time though but admittedly Walla himself did most of the hard work because he moved to Victoria himself and put in all the hard yards.

Now that our club is in a strong position both on and off the field I hope we can give some more indigenous kids opportunities and strengthen that relationship again that we were once so strong in.

3 Likes

Our idea so they can Fark off.
They can stick to playing games in China as their marquee games

2 Likes

We used to laugh at Richmond for only having one player in the Dreamtime gameā€¦ Now itā€™s us. We were very lucky that Tippa was so persistent otherwise we might have none.
The extra resources argument is a cop out!
ā– ā– ā– ā–  me! Surely the recruiters could have found a couple of Aboriginal ā€˜best availableā€™ players over the last few years.

I am really disappointed and bemused, especially in this draft With such late picks we still couldnā€™t find 1 indigenous player to give an opportunity to.

Iā€™m not a fan of any token picks due to race, religion, colour or anything else. If an indigenous lad was available for our needs Iā€™m sure we would pick them or are you suggesting our recruiters are deliberately discriminating against indigenous talent?
I would personally love to have more indigenous players but for the right reasons

2 Likes

Iā€™m not suggesting that itā€™s based on race. Iā€™m suggesting that the club has put an emphasis on strong character, coming from a settled family, quality education & friendship circles.

This makes indigenous players (especially those who live rurally) in an impossible position to compete against white privilidged city kids.
Rather than it being all about football ability.

1 Like

If what you say is true that would indeed be disappointing as Iā€™d hope the club would back themselves in to offer these lads the best support and care possible

The 2 indigenous players on our list, have all the characteristics of what I mentioned. Itā€™s not like we took a gamble on those 2 players either.

3 apparently. Luke lavender

Love to have more players of all different backgrounds, but with regard to the work the club and Sheeds did back when to open doors for indigenous talent, and the ongoing work, think you gotta look at how the league in general has been changed for the better. We also have probably one of the top five indigenous players in the game right now. Plus Longy will tear it up this year

I hope we ā€œtake a riskā€ and give a chance to a young excitement machine.

One explanation for moving McNiece to the cat A rookie list is so we can take 2 cat bā€™s.

The other is so that we can play him without a LTI.

2 Likes

I get that, but it seems like a pretty weak reason to forego an extra pick. Iā€™m not a fan of this move at all.

I think when he said Marquee he meant tarps

4 Likes

A player we know can contribute if called upon immediately (and avoids us moving McGrath back) versus a speculative 2nd round rookie selection

Common sense move IMO

Given we didnā€™t take anyone from next gen academy last year would think weā€™d have to be looking to do so now. We need some more small fwds / pacy winger types.

Its an interesting misnomer about indigenous players, re- greater propensity to ā€œgo homeā€ statistically speaking people of indigenous heritage are only 2% more likely to leave football due to personal reasons than people of non indigenous backgrounds.

Now these figures are slightly skewed because indigenous players are more likely when they do leave a club to leave football entirely where as others seek opportunities at clubs closer to home and family. With that being said, we are now seeing players who leave football due to family or cultural reasons, actually go back into AFL football once things have settled on the home front.

Where the stats get truely interesting is the difference between percentage of players delisted vs retired.

Indigenous players drafted are 70% more likely to play AFL football from being drafted, than non indigenous people, basically 9 out of every 10 indigenous kid drafted plays AFL football. Indigenous players only make up 5% of delistings due to football reasons each year, and 3% of players delisted without playing an AFL game.

Which makes it even more disappointing that more clubs donā€™t see that while in some cases an increase in off field resources are required to support the players, mathematically the chance of that player making the grade are significantly higher.

Its interesting that clubs see spending money on development coaches who spend 3-4 years trying to iron out significant flaws in kids games only to see that player delisted in that time frame, is less risk adverse than spending money on player welfare on kids whoā€™s obstacle is majority cultural.

1 Like

When you look at the data of indigenous players taken later than pick 36 playing AFL football vs non indigenous picks. Mathematically if you where recruiting based on this information, and were looking at a defining characteristic that would ensure success in a draft pick 45- Rookie where you gauged the success of that pick based on playing AFL football Indigenous heritage is undeniably the number one common factor. They are even 45% more likely to play AFL than a state league and mature aged recruit. In fact, there has only ever been one state league mature aged indigenous recruit that was drafted that hasnā€™t played senior AFL football, and he is still on a list so that could change.

So basically, the argument of you donā€™t draft to fill a quota or based on skin colour seems to make sense from a logical or even ethical standpoint, mathematically, its stupid.

Essentially its the ultimate money ball selection.

1 Like

Is this a joke?

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/player-profile/ben-mcniece

I know, itā€™s like we go out of our way to find the most fringe qualifiers. Itā€™s really suppose to be for remote community kids or kids who werenā€™t born here really.

I still find how McNiece qualifies hilarious, itā€™s awesome. The McNeice family have been stallwarts of Northcote Park footy club for generations.

But he doesnā€™t scream category B, in that he is not coming from a under represented background, he is more Aussie than I am

2 Likes