Category B indigenous/multicultural rookies

Well that’s awkward

Right you are!

I forgot he was even part of our next gen academy, but I meant from the indigenous players within the academy however.

1 Like

Not sure if accurate for now as article came out mid 2017 but appears we have only two nominated next gen academy players, with only one eligible to be selected this year.

ESSENDON Daniel Hanna (2017), East Keilor, Multicultural // Lucas Cooper (2018), Maningrida, Indigenous

On Daniel Hanna…

Is the nephew of Mil Hanna - of farkcarlton fame

Will be a developing key position forward of which we need if gets past rookie draft and we pick him up as NGE selection.

Might not have done much in 2017 to be worthy of being selected however

Daniel Hanna - Player Profile

Name: Daniel Hanna

Jumper number: 25

Height: 199cm

Weight: 82kg

Junior club/s: Aberfeldie

Year joined Calder: 2014

Position: Key forward

Best Calder memory? Making the TAC Cup squad in 2016 and the under-16 camp.

Best overall footy memory? Representing the Cannons at under-16 and under-18 level.

AFL player I try to model my game on: Charlie Dixon

What I love about the Cannons: Teammates.

Favourites

Movie: None

Food: Chicken Parmigiana

TV Show: Prison Break

Footy commentator: Brian Taylor

AFL player: Cyril Rioli

AFL team: Carlton

http://websites.sportstg.com/club_info.cgi?c=1-3020-111723-437836-25836215&sID=383015

From a footyprophet article…

DANIEL HANNA| CALDER CANNONS

FWD/RUCK | 24/11/1999 | 200CM | 79KG

For a 200cm prospect, Daniel Hanna has some tricks up his sleeve. He played forward and rotated through the ruck, but it is inside 50 that he looks most at home. He moves superbly for a player his height, showing agility and a turn of speed. He is clean below his knees too, proving he is capable of picking the ball up at ground level with one touch and being calm in traffic. While he can have hard hands in the air at times, it is an attribute that is improving as justified by three impressive contested marks on the weekend. His 18 disposals mostly lead to Calder opportunities, kicking two goals, two behinds and setting up three scoring assists on top. Hanna has genuine scope and would consider himself unlucky to be cut from the Metro squad.

IMG_5560!

1 Like

No NGA picks for us, at least not yet

Derek Eggmolesse-Smith sounds like the 6th drummer for Spinal Tap.

6 Likes

Assuming we can still pick Hanna post rookie draft if we wanted to? Isn’t that what happened last year with McNiece?

No idea. The AFL said last year that the deadline for the Category B rookies was the day of the rookie draft, then we signed McNiece a few days later. It wouldn’t surprise me if we signed someone later.

See the latest JHA newsletter: http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Essendon/Club%20HQ/JHA%20Newsletter_LatestIssue_18.pdf

We currently have four 17 year old NGA kids (don’t know if they’re 2017 or 2018 draft eligible), and at least one 16 year old NGA kid. At least two of those are indigenous. I wouldn’t be surprised if we have more 15 and 16 year olds, but that they’re not listed as their too young and uncertain yet.

3 Likes

And the Cooper guy in another thread isn’t on that list. So maybe one more.

It is of note I think that one of those NGA kids is a Lions F/S player, and one doesn’t actually play football. And all of them are from our Melbourne catchment. I did quite like the look of Firebrace in the Cannons game I saw earlier in the year.

2 Likes

I’ve literally got no understanding of this Category B rookie system.

So a couple of questions.

When does nominations close for clubs elect category B players?

Do we only have access to the 2 players that Patrick Keane mentioned?

The fact that we only had 1 rookie pick, does that open up another Category B rookie spot?

Category B players can be picked up at anytime throughout the year. While they can be NGA players, they can also be Irish (a maximum of 1), Alternative Talent (from another professional sport - think Folau and Hunt) and Non-Registered for 3 years (this is where my boy Lavender fits in - hasn’t registered at a football club in the last 3 years).

A club can have a max of 3 Cat B rookies on their list at any one time. As in most cases the majority of their salary sits outside the salary cap, they are essentially a “free hit”.

I hope this helps.

3 Likes

I don’t think we’re limited to those listed players. The AFL circulated a list of nominated NGA players last year and McNiece wasn’t on it. Everything about the NGA seems to be pretty loose at the moment.

Cheers.
Yeah just trying to get my head around the reason we seem to be a player short on the main list/rookie list.

Maybe we’re looking to take a couple of rookie B selections, and don’t see the need to fill the main rookie list. Or the salary cap is tight for 2018.

It certainly seems odd. I can’t recall the last time we went in a player short.
Interestingly there were about 6 clubs who passed on a rookie pick. I normally don’t pay attention to that to know if some other clubs are usually short on their list

1 Like

Many years ago, its was seen as ‘optional’.

Financially poor clubs just wouldn’t take rookies, because they couldn’t afford it.

Yet on the flip side, we had the likes of Rioli, Peverill, Nat-Rat, Milne.

A lot of clubs quickly realised that they need to invest in it.

It’s been said that McNiece has/will/is likely to be, elevated to the regular rookie list, so to be available for selection at any time, thereby filling the list, and opening up a Rookie B spot.

To be fair, we’ve been saying that because it’s the only way to make sense of our list numbers, not because of any actual information.

I do understand however that the AFL and clubs probably don’t bother announcing information like moving from one rookie list to another because it’s profoundly uninteresting to almost everyone.

1 Like

Yeah,… and it does make sense, … perfect sense.

Because there’s no way we go into the year with an empty rookie spot.

I’m not even sure there’s a difference in LTI rules between the lists, it’s just they’ve never announced any changes to cat B. Pretty sure that if you just selected Lavender in Rd 1 the AFL would just go with it and tweak the rules in the background.

But it is. We could have had an extra player. We chose not to.