Category B indigenous/multicultural rookies

Not if McNiece is shifted, for the reason of being able to be selected anytime we want, and not just for an LTI.

We can fill an open Cat B spot anytime.

It’s quite possible. And every chance that there is a couple of players, they’ll put through a pre-season before signing them as a Rookie B.

1 Like

Yeah, understand that. But reckon (if it’s the rule) that the is of McNiece playing a senior game and no one being on LTI at that time are such that it’s really just giving away a list spot.

We could have had an extra player. We chose not to.

(Everything changes if we announce 2 X cat B sometime)

Maybe McNiece is closer to making the grade than is generally thought…? :thinking:

1 Like

Hope so!

I think that NGA players can only be added as Cat B rookies around draft time. And I believe from next year they will follow academy rules (with bidding).

The others can definitely be added at any time.

What’s the fuss - We never had 3 category B rookies in 2017 and not a word was said - I suggest that only 1 to 3 clubs would have 3 category B rookies on their list - It’s like some think Category B rookies ‘fall out of the sky.’ Lavender’s Dad has previously explained the amount of work that goes into recruiting a category B player which can be up to 12 months - Maybe the club will find another Cat B in the next few months.

But can a Cat B be moved to Cat A rookie without going via the rookie draft? (As per demotion of a senior listed player to rookie)

There’s no fuss with not having 3 cat B. Having one less cat A was an issue. Although apparently McNiece is now cat A.

We had an opportunity to add another player, and didn’t. That’s always disappointing, but it’s also not the end of the world.

Just in that post in the McNeice thread… it also has Lavender down as 3 years.

If Cat B rookies are getting 3 year contracts, you really need to think about how you are going to keep places open each year.

It’s possible that the club is thinking one Cat B rookie per year might be the go.

And… I say this with an abundance of optimism, perhaps they are leaving spots deliberately open for when they think they have the infrastructure set-up to be able to properly host rookies plucked from our NT academy.

1 Like

Lavender does not have 3 years.

1 Like

He has to have three years.

AFL never get anything wrong!

1 Like

The three years is the eligibility for the category. Three years unregistered.

3 Likes

ooooohhhhh… I see. My bad.

1 Like

Sauce?

:grimacing:

5 Likes

So long as players in that category are not treated as circus exhibits, like Gach was.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Gach was a rookie a pick. Stop your crusading.

Not crusading and did not claim his status .When the clubs and AFL promote their multiculturalism they need to take care to avoid presenting them as freaks.