Category B indigenous/multicultural rookies

How was Gach presented as a freaks?

Question for BA - Do you think Majak Daw has been sold as a circus freak ?

Donā€™t agree with that big a

And donā€™t want to misread you, but is this a color thing ?

Was Houli presented as a freak because his religion?
McGrath because he is Canadian

Etc

Some of the kids of African descent tend to get written up as exotic, including those who have spent most of their lives in Oz.
As the new Senator from WA with a physical disability said, stop saying how inspirational I am, judge me on my performance as a Senator.

3 Likes

Still not answering the question of how Essendon presented Gach as a circus freak.

Headlines about Gachā€™ s 78 possible brothers in Sudan, which he left at the age of 3 months, very little about his family setting in Melbourne, where he lived since the age of 10. Not a lot about his football attributes.

1 Like

I just think presenting a player who was all Australian at their position in juniors as a risk pick is a bit rich

3 Likes

Which brings me to a point, why is it when a traditional shall we say, footballer who is late to the game is presented as an upside pick where as your Gachā€™s of the world are a ā€œriskā€

1 Like

Journalists are lazy, they write the story that fits an existing script. Doesnā€™t mean the club/team view it the same way.

Gach was the ultimate upside pick and was portrayed that way at draft time.

Who was suggesting a tall, skinny rookie pick was a risk?

The club when they still talk about him as an example of taking a risk at draft selection

When does the club talk about that sort of thing? I never see any media stuff where they mention that sort of stuff about historical draft picksā€¦ but iā€™ll admit I miss plenty of stuff like radio interviews

1 Like

Can you post some quotes or something in relation to this?

Are you suggesting that there are racial connotations in the use of the word ā€œriskā€?

No. Just that when a player doesnā€™t work out there is a bit of revisionist thinking that goes on

And that applys to all players.

Go and read the Morgan thread!

Exactly

Can we then extrapolate that clubs minimise risk because they donā€™t work out?

Recruiting has evolved a huge amount even in the last ten years and is only going to continue to be refined.

Journalists get fed background by the clubs.

Can bigallen and ben actually ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  post something where it says hes a risk pick from the club?

3 Likes