Centre Clearances

We are getting smashed out of the square every week. Obviously we have lost one of the best centre square rucks in the game but we need to find some answers.

For years we have looked to control the zone on the defensive side of the ball up and flick it back there to jobe but tbell seems completely unable to get on top of his man and tap it back to there. The ones he wins wins seem to go forward or to the side but to zones we are controlling.

Where to from here?

Was terrible today. We need to work on this. Missing Myers and Buddah has hurt.

I think the absence of Myers hurts more than Ryder in the middle.

Interesting to see Bagz in there for quite some time tonight

Abysmal. St.Kilda spread like a premiership team against us.

Im not sure it’s spread. The opposition just don’t get sucked into the contest and have players 5m off the pack. Once it’s out they’re away.

Yeh. Clearances. Can we have some please.

We are getting smashed out of the square every week. Obviously we have lost one of the best centre square rucks in the game but we need to find some answers.

For years we have looked to control the zone on the defensive side of the ball up and flick it back there to jobe but tbell seems completely unable to get on top of his man and tap it back to there. The ones he wins wins seem to go forward or to the side but to zones we are controlling.

Where to from here?

Used to think Ryder was a great centre square ruck too but he doesn’t play this role at Port. They played pretty badly without lobbe in the team. Improved out of sight with him back.
lets not forget we lost corresponding game last year with Ryder in the team.
I don’t think our ruck is the prob. It’s more not having Hocking in there with a strong body blocking and ditto for Myres.

We’re kidding ourselves if we say we aren’t missing Ryder. Especially for centre clearances. If anything, our midfield looks as though it became rather complacent with some of the delivery he used to give them.

Hocking is obviously a big loss also . The opposition’s best mids are currently doing whatever the fark they want.

I’m really not sure what the answer is.

We should have all our players stand on the outside of the square just waiting for the ball to be bounced, then charge in hell quickly when it’s bounced. We would never lose a clearance again.

TBell not tapping down the opps throat would be a start.

I scratched my head bigtime after the first bounce today. obv Tbell and the mids have a chat where he will tap it. The first centre bounce, he won the tap clearly and palmed it SRRAIGHT down a saints players throat

Throw the cheque book at Lobbe, if not just to pi$$ off Port.

Id be throwing the chequebook at wingard. Fk he’d be great

How is Giles going in the 2’s?

Id be throwing the chequebook at wingard. Fk he'd be great

No, not Wingard.

Ollie Wines.

Myers is more of an out than many even think

Nothing more frustrating than see our ruck win the tap and hit it straight to an opposition player. It happens far too often.

Can’t have been easy for the coaches, they had their work cut out for them changing over from Paddy to Bellcho, a heck of a big step down in class as well as a completely different type of ruck - and I’m sure they would’ve been planning on Myers as taking a big part of Hocking’s role, which lasted all of 3 minutes.

IMHO to a fair extent (like Jake C in the forward line) they just need to play games together, work on that cohesion, read each other better, and learn the plays - and until then, we will probably cop it. I don’t think there’s a switch (at least not for a ruck of Bellcho’s class).

Need to get Hams (or one of the other kids) in there ASAP.
Bags didn’t offer a heap as a pinch hitter, and again, that same ongoing issue about using pinch-hitters in the first place, deprives a kid of development time.

I scratched my head bigtime after the first bounce today. obv Tbell and the mids have a chat where he will tap it. The first centre bounce, he won the tap clearly and palmed it SRRAIGHT down a saints players throat

Maybe the player was in the wrong spot.