Centre Clearances

How is Giles going in the 2's?

Absolute ■■■■■.

McKernan out performs him.

How is Giles going in the 2's?

Absolute ■■■■■.

McKernan out performs him.

and thats not saying much, both were severely disappointing

Holding opposition players. Either lightly around the waist or by one hand. We need to start doing this a lot more. We let the opposition get hold of the ball too easily. Umpires let that kind of shat go all the time. It happens to us a lot but we dont seem to do it back.

Could probably count the amount of hit outs to advantage we’ve had this season on one hand.

According to our midfield coach he was happy with the clearances…is Skipworth or Harvey in charge of the guts?

We won the clearances this week on the stat sheet but we don’t seem to be able to generate clean ball from them. Armitage and Steven were able to generate really quality play from the stoppages and drive St Kilda into attack whereas we were always going sideways or backwards into trouble.

T-Bell seems completely out of sync with the midfield… Joey has been able to get some good taps to advantage when he’s gone in there but T-Bell seems to be 50/50 whether he’s tapping to our guys or theirs. Carlisle hasn’t got the leap or the arms to win the taps.

We’d almost be better working to the opposition’s ruckman. Hawthorn did it with great success for years, study the opposition tap patterns and rove their work. They’ve won flags with some absolute peanuts in the ruck. Tell T-Bell to hit the body hard and back up with ground level tackling and blocking a la Mumford.

TBell just ain’t getting it done to give our players first use. Ryder’s tap work sorely missed.

Having Myers and Hocking out hurts us, not just from the ball getting but the defensive stuff they do to allow others to get footy in close. And Ryder was one of our leading clearance players once ball hit the deck, something Belly is woeful at.

Not only we losing centre clearances but the commentators noted we were 18th in comp at scores from stoppages. Considering the game is all about pressuring to create stoppages these days that’s not ideal.

Thank FARK for our defence.

Thank FARK for our defence.

Somethings not working about clearances. Saints seemed to have a couple hanging back from the pack many times, 2-3 of our players in there and when handball ball came out we were out manned.

Clear as Fark on FOXTEL.

Somethings not working about clearances. Saints seemed to have a couple hanging back from the pack many times, 2-3 of our players in there and when handball ball came out we were out manned.

Clear as Fark on FOXTEL.

I agree.
I’d add that it’s not just clearances, but all over the ground. Even our stellar defence had times where they didn’t know who was doing what and inexplicably let their opponents goal-side.

It’d be silly to assume the coaches aren’t noticing, so I reckon we have to accept we’re still a work in progress.
We have had five head coaches in nine seasons…

Centre clearances are down due to Ryder not being there.

What has been just as bad is our contested possesion differential. We need to win more hard ball.

Clear as Fark on FOXTEL.

I agree.
I’d add that it’s not just clearances, but all over the ground. Even our stellar defence had times where they didn’t know who was doing what and inexplicably let their opponents goal-side.

It’d be silly to assume the coaches aren’t noticing, so I reckon we have to accept we’re still a work in progress.

Who’s the 5th?
STG, Knighta, Hird, Bomber…
Unless you count Hird’s 2nd coming as a different guy, which would be a heresy.

Is there any point trying Ambrose as a centre square blocker/hard body type in the middle and moving Howlett higher up the ground in a defensive role?

Clear as Fark on FOXTEL.

I agree.

Who’s the 5th?

I’m counting him as a change of strategy twice, is that unreasonable?

I’ll allow it. I dunno if we’re doing much differently though, from Hird to Bomber back to Hird.

Clear as Fark on FOXTEL.

I agree.

Who’s the 5th?

I thought he meant O’Donnell for that 1 game against the Blues :wink:
Throw the cheque book at Lobbe, if not just to pi$$ off Port.

Signed a 4 year deal last December. Not happening.

If we’re talking rucks, I’m happy to stick with Belcho. But if we were looking - the three “gettable” ones I reckon are:

Zac Clarke. Isn’t signing with Freo and is out of contract end of this year. Is he any good?
Ceglar. I’m not 100% sure, but I think he’s out of contract this year…
Leunberger. Hasn’t signed at Brisbane - but I’m not sure we’d want him. Injury prone.

If we’re talking rucks, I’m happy to stick with Belcho. But if we were looking - the three “gettable” ones I reckon are:

Zac Clarke. Isn’t signing with Freo and is out of contract end of this year. Is he any good?
Leunberger. Hasn’t signed at Brisbane - but I’m not sure we’d want him. Injury prone.

What will 4 average rucks do that the 3 we already have won't do?

Weight of numbers?

Weight of numbers?

Would still be shorter than Sandi.

Honestly though, (assuming Bellcho signs) I can’t think of a position we need to spend money on less than another out-and-out ruckman.
We need pace and inside mids and we need key positions and we need crumbers, and we need to get some youth on the list.
Get the feeling some of you would be happy to Wallace/Frawley the list, some of the suggestions I’ve seen (Gibbs? Leunberger? FFS!)

Maybe rookie a kid, but that would be as far as I’d go.