Champions League 2019/20

I had never heard of a circumflex, only acutes, accents, graves and cedillas. It was about 30 years ago that I studied French though.

Circumflex sort of took over from a lost ‘s’.

Like tĂȘte relates to the Italian testa. Then again, i think a grave does the same I think.

2 Likes

Liverpool received an almighty scare this morning against RB Salzburg at Anfield. Goals to Mane, Robertson and Salah saw the Reds up 3-0 and seemingly in cruise control before some defensive lapses saw the visitors level by the hour mark. However Salah scored his 2nd with 20 minutes left to secure 3 points for the Champions of Europe and get their title defence off and running.

1 Like

Another impressive display from the young gunners this morning.

Willock, Tierney and Martinelli in particular were very good.

Martinelli is an 18 year old from the 4th tier of Brazilian football and the early signs are very good for him. Really nice mover and really clean ball handling.

We could have played for 80 hours and not scored but atleast we kept a clean sheet and got a point on the road

No shots on target. It felt like a loss and I was hoping we’d just hang on in the second half.

I am not confident we’ll beat Newcastle this weekend notwithstanding how badly they’re travelling.

Not sure he will go far in the game, unless he’s a goalie!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

If its good enough for maradona :grinning:

Liverpool 2-0 ahead of Genk in Belgium after 75 mins. Ox has both goals, the 2nd of which is absolute filth!

2 Likes

Ended 4-1, Mane and Salah scored before Genk got a late consolation. Job done!

2 Likes

Real get the much-needed win against Galatasaray. Hazard was good. Kroos and Courtois (yes) better. 1-0 could easily have been 4-2.

Just caught the highlights.

Did you see that hectic flick pass from Bobby to Mane in the first half (around 24 min mark)? Magic. Bobby also with the assist for Ox’s second goal - which was a gem. Great to see him back and playing well. We have been missing a spark in the midfield of late.

2 Likes

How good was Ox’s second goal with the outside of his foot. Amazing skill. I’m sure if it was Messi or Ronaldo it would be the headline news story.

2 Likes

Arsenal win 3-1 at home to Vittoria in what was effectively a dead rubber.

Only positives to come from it were Martinelli’s very well taken goal. This kid just cant stop scoring and is showing some great signs as an out and out striker with beautiful movement in the box.

The other huge positive to come from the game is Pepe scoring two great goals from free kicks and the second one being a very late winner. He’s been underwhelming so far for a big signing but hopefully this gives him some confidence.

1 Like

Sooo, we need a Europa thread or do they just lump in here??

Anyway, young bloke Brandon Williams made the most of his blooding V Partizan the other day.

Lot to like about the lad.

Liverpool take top place of their group with a 2-1 win at Anfield against Genk. Despite a dominant display the Champions of Europe failed to put the game to bed and required an Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain goal early in the 2nd half to break the deadlock. Napoli drew with RB Salzburg.

Crazy game at Stamford Bridge with Ajax being reduced to 9 men and relinquishing a 4-1 lead to draw 4-4.

2 Likes

The Ox is really stepping up his performances now since his return from injury. Great to see & I hope he sees more PL action.

Salah needs a rest, IMO. Shouldn’t have played vs Villa & now on a short turnaround vs Genk. They were draining his ankle of fluid the other day.

2 Likes

Pretty sure there’s another international break after this week’s PL games, so hopefully he gets a spell then and isn’t playing for Egypt. Absolutely nuts what is happening to us in terms of having to play our League Cup QF v Villa 24 hours before we are due to play in the Club World Cup in Qatar. The PL unwilling to postpone any of our fixtures in order to accomodate the LC QF at a more reasonable time. Absolute joke.

1 Like

Yep - ridiculous fixture pile-up.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/liverpool-confirm-plans-to-play-carabao-cup-club-world-cup/19jn1iupyjkep12mrlrju6uag5