Champions League Basketball - Australias new Basketball comp

Kind of like a BB, run over 10 weeks, no restrictions on Imports.

done well could work, done BA style will suck the big one

Lol

smart timing though, they plan to run it in the patch of time between NBA summer league and training camp so a to pitch it as a warm up that NBA rookie can play in. If that happens we might actually see some top shelf basketball in this country

Sounds silly to me.
Almost like the old American NBA and ABA.

I don’t see it working. Assuming it runs against the NBA, the same fans will just be split between the two comps. Not many people will follow both.

nah it going to be run between June and Aug so as not to interfere with any of the major comps in the world or the NBL. What it will be is the chance for a lot of free agents to boost there stock in the only comp in the world that will be running. What it is, is the first smart decision anyone here has made about basketball in 20 years. Neither the NBA or Euroleague run anything in that period.

so your 2nd round NBA draft picks and guy who get cut post draft in the NBA, and the ones in Euroleague who have not found teams yet.

Australia has an ABA, it called the ABA. I played in it a few years back, so you can be sure its crap

double post

Australia has an ABA, it called the ABA. I played in it a few years back, so you can be sure its crap

Isn’t that the equivalent off D-League? By ABA / NBA I meant professionals that are spread across the comp and competitive against each other. Not a dominant league and a lesser grade one.

nah it going to be run between June and Aug so as not to interfere with any of the major comps in the world or the NBL. What it will be is the chance for a lot of free agents to boost there stock in the only comp in the world that will be running. What it is, is the first smart decision anyone here has made about basketball in 20 years. Neither the NBA or Euroleague run anything in that period.

so your 2nd round NBA draft picks and guy who get cut post draft in the NBA, and the ones in Euroleague who have not found teams yet.

I doubt it’ll be that successful that quickly. I can’t see many 2nd round NBA picks playing in Australia, when the teams that selected them would have training camp sessions running between seasons.

Also, for it to be successful, it needs to get fans paying to watch it. It’ll be up against the AFL and NRL which is a tough market to earn you share of the market.
Will it get broadcast rights? It’ll need them to remain competitive and relevant.

I do like the unlimited imports idea. You need American entertainers to get people interested. Throw out the three point shooting European. Mad dunkers will get people watching.

It’s no SEABL.

Go Bandits.

This would require some actual champions, wouldn’t it?

This would require some actual champions, wouldn't it?
The long term plan is that any place in the world can enter a team in it. So down the track teams from Asia and potetally Europe could put teams in

I doubt it’ll be that successful that quickly. I can’t see many 2nd round NBA picks playing in Australia, when the teams that selected them would have training camp sessions running between seasons.

Also, for it to be successful, it needs to get fans paying to watch it. It’ll be up against the AFL and NRL which is a tough market to earn you share of the market.
Will it get broadcast rights? It’ll need them to remain competitive and relevant.

I do like the unlimited imports idea. You need American entertainers to get people interested. Throw out the three point shooting European. Mad dunkers will get people watching.

NBA CBA means nothing between June and training camp, which is usually mid September. That’s why so many NBA guys just spend days playing pick up with other guys. So the lower level free agents usually head back and train with their collages they were from

If owners offer one of these guys 200k and a free 2 month holiday in Australia I’m sure a few of them would take it up. I’m talking your league minimum and mle level guys.