Changes for ANZAC Day vs Pies

McNiece is the new messiah according to blitz. Feel for the guy as he’s been hyped beyond belief and set up to be a dissapointment.
Elite kicking skills, Clearly above VFL level according to blitz.
He’s earnt a shot, hopefully he turns out to be a decent player but the rest is pure hype, but its boom or bust in here. Can’t someone ever just be decent and we’ll keep the rest of the judgements until they’ve actually proven it at afl level.

1 Like

McNeice to do a McGough

This is actually every week, but Anzac Day is a special version of this.

6 Likes

He seems to be a messiah, because a player deserves a call up and you see underperforming players keep their spots week in week out.

1 Like
1 Like

WORSFOLD CONCERNS OVER BOMBERS WORKRATE

Essendon coach John Worsfold can deal with mistakes from his new-look side, but he won’t stand for poor effort.

The Bombers’ mixed form to start the season has been little surprise considering their squad includes 10 players who sat out last year with doping bans.

After opening-round wins over Hawthorn and Brisbane, Essendon lost to Carlton and were thumped by Adelaide.

With the Anzac Day blockbuster against Collingwood around the corner, Worsfold is confident the Bombers’ best form will eventually come as they build chemistry.

But he wants his players to lift their workrate after being left unimpressed by their efforts over the past fortnight.

“We felt as though our output, our absolute workload on game day, hasn’t been at the level that we expect from each other,” he said today.

“The fact that we may make some miscommunications or not set up the ground brilliantly at times because we’re getting to know each other - we can cop that.

“But the energy and effort to do that hasn’t been at the level we would expect from each other and that’s what we’re aiming to improve on.”

Worsfold raised eyebrows after the loss to the Crows when he spoke of his players having “hit the wall”.

However he insists his comments only related to one or two individuals, including former skipper Jobe Watson, who was clearly fatigued during the final quarter at Adelaide Oval.

Worsfold admitted the veteran midfielder’s workload would need to be managed but said there was no reason why he couldn’t play every game this season.

“I think he can but I don’t know if he will. I can’t predict that,” Worsfold said.

“His leadership and his passion at training has been outstanding. I’ve been so impressed. In that regard, he’s ticking all the boxes.”

Worsfold has also been impressed with Cale Hooker’s new role as a permanent forward, saying he expected the 28-year-old to continue to grow into the role after a year out of the game.

A chief focus for the Bombers will be improving their leaky defence, although Worsfold stressed that wasn’t just down to the backline.

“Defensively as a team, we are acknowledging - and be clear on this - we are miles short of where we want to be,” he said.

“We’re averaging nearly 60 inside-50s against, week-in, week-out, and that takes our forwards to defend better, our midfielders to defend better and our backs to defend better as well.”

• AAP
1 Like

12pm: Pub for a few beers
2:30pm head to the ground slurring words
3:21pm: Unable ot work out what’s making me sick. The burger & Beer or our effort

4 Likes

Is it just me or did last year we appear to not have some of the brain fade and lack of consistent effort crap all year. Yes we had some patches, ANZAC day being one, but there was no season over in June type drop offs. We appeared to have a plan and the players did, within their ability, try to stick to it for the whole season and at the end of the season you could see they team had developed and looked better for the future.

This season just has so much of the knights/Hird/Bomber excuse flavour to it already I’m starting to predict a couple of wins over top 8 sides, no wins in June and consistent losses to average teams. Right now I am struggling to see where the future lies outside dumping half the over 30 players.

Which beg the Question, maybe its just the players we had, and maybe we would be better off moving some on at the end of the year.

I think that if you get your ‘feelings’ from this site, you’d be correct.
Last year, with few anticipating wins, the vibe was up, and losing was expected. This year, knives are out, and you will naturally feel that it is calamitous.

1 Like

I have thought about this a bit. Last year they knew they were up against it every week, tried their guts out, and performed their roles nearly every week. I reckon - and I feared - that with the players coming back, there would be a sense - whether conscious or not - that this isn’t necessary, that having a better team, means not having to struggle and grind out games for the sake of basic pride, not having to do as much hard stuff - coz, you know the champs and senior guys are back. I don’t know if it is as much - they’ll do it, as it is - we’ll follow their lead.

You used to see it in the when Hird was out - I’m talking toward the end of his career - and others stepped up in his absence, but as soon as he came back, the others would go missing again. I don’t really know how to explain it, but there is something missing psychologically, that our continual underdog status last year seemed to make a non-negotiable. As much as there are a lot of factors and variables, I see a few players that were great last year, tend to sit back and wait now, second guess themselves. Don’t know if that makes any sense, but I think it has been ingrained in the club for a while, and now that the “fight” is seemingly over, some guys don’t know what to do. It has only been four weeks, but other than the Hawks game - which was driven by adrenaline as much as anything - it is what I feared, so far.

4 Likes

For a returning player that is a massive interruption. I don’t care what anyone says. He is well behind the 8 ball

1 Like

We are going to win.
Maclure on 360 just said Collingwood are certainties.

2 Likes

Who?

4 Likes

Not sold until I hear it from the genius analist D King

2 Likes

Maclure is a fkg idiot who like the sound of his own voice

5 Likes

I hope more Journos/ex players voice their opinion on how Collingwood are certainties.

2 Likes

Don’t you mean “analyst”? Oh no, he’s a massive turd, so “analist” is probably right.

1 Like

Oh, did I say that, really… ?

1 Like

Think you might have. He’s an ignorant Fark Carlscum crunt too.

1 Like

Damn, maybe I should give up academia after all :wink:

Pretty sure King (not McClure) was always a tin rattler though?