Changes for Dreamtime at the 'G

yeah the question has always been whether the 50’s are actually 50 isn’t it?!
It’s definitely bigger than it used to be, evidenced when looking at boundaries during cricket season.
I actually think the camera angles/locations they use for SCG games can contribute to the perception that it’s still considerably shorter.*

Perhaps it’s just the vibe.

*10m is actually probably still considerable in itself.

That was a couple of weeks ago, and we won :slight_smile:

I was thinking every game’s a danger game when you’re only an average side.

A couple of good wins against insipid opposition and all of a sudden the hubris overfloweth again. You’d think we’d have learned something from Round 3 against Carltank… Blitz says no.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see the best full back in the game on Saturday night. Joey kicking seven on Rance will go alright as well.

7 Likes

I want to see rance run down by Tippa, joe collect from 65 and go BOOM and start finger twirling whilst rance punches the ground in anger

14 Likes

Recent Nearmap photo makes the SCG 155m long and 135m wide.

The boutique stadium is 161 by 128.

Docklands is 161 long and unknown width (roof).

MCG is 162 by 138.

1 Like

Fixed

5 Likes

Jon Ralph might’ve done us a favour - just written an article saying Rance could be the best full back of all time.

Here’s hoping this rubbish (and a few more you’d expect this week) has a bit of Hirdy’s “fab four” article-style effect on those pea-hearted punt road flogs.

Call me old school, but one aspect that’s essential to being full back is being the main person to take the kick in, another is playing on at least one of the key forwards.

4 Likes

you’re old school.

The premise is fair enough but in reality the role of best defender is a lot different to what it used to be. They rarely ever play on the best forwards. And that’s for any team across the board, us included.

2 Likes

Well I think it would be great for him to get a game. He is steadily improving and has speed like Conor McKenna who a lot had written off. Also this game would mean a lot to him.

It’s not good enough for Long to only show required levels of intensity leading into dream time games however.

It is good that he is thereabouts however as our outside/winger type depth is pretty limited.

Jerrett and Long who is still on rookie list

Long would only be ahead of Morgan and perhaps Redman with regard to selection. He is a mile off, and is battling for a spot on the list next year.

1 Like

I am thinking no changes, except for the emergencies for this game. So given no changes, we will probably need to change key matchups.

Unfortunately I think Hurls will have to take Jack Riewoldt for most of the game. I just cant see Harts staying with him. Fortunately the same thing will happen at the other end because Rance will probably have to try to take Joey.
In that event, it will fall to who, Rance or Hurls dare to run off their respective opponents to do the most damage the other way.

As to who will do better, Joey is clearly able to kick 4+ against 2 talls , by using his ground skills if they manage to negate him overhead. Joe gets so much attention he takes few contested marks. Jack is better in that regard. Both sit at 25-26 goals at this point.

reckon Joe’s lack of contested marking this year is more a consequence of playing further up the ground and getting the ball out on the lead or in open play. Last year he took bulk contested marks playing closer to goal, that Melbourne game particularly was ridiculous. Wasn’t quite hanging on to them on Sunday but nearly took mark of the year 4 times.

I don’t know, just theory I had and I haven’t looked at his overall contested marking numbers from last year.

2 Likes

I may be wrong, but looks like a p u s s y cat in a Tiger suit. (otherwise, I don’t get either)

1 Like

Let’s not forget how many Belly belted in the 2nds against coburg last weekend. Missing Hocking - want to see him knock someone to the ground in his usual way.

Feeling confident about this game. Don’t be fooled by Richmond, had an easy first 5 games, got hammered by Adelaide and played ■■■■ against freo, they were lucky to be that close.

Have only felt confident like this one other game this season,
MELBOURNE.

4 Likes

Hurley has owned Jack on quite a few occasions & I think you’re right, he will be too slippery & clever for Hartley. If Hurley sacrifices his intercept game for the greater good & matches up on Riewoldt, maybe Hartley can play off his opponent a bit & repeat his 13 mark effort from last game.

2 Likes
1 Like