Changes for Dreamtime at the 'G

In fairness, Rance hasn’t had his pants pulled down the way Hurls did against Walker.

Hurls hasn’t had his pants pulled down by daniher like Rance will on Saturday night

I agree with most of that, and yes the GOAT stuff does need to be called out for the rubbish it is.

But I still think you’re underselling him. He’s better than Leppa and a fark load better than Bock.

The guy is the best defender of this generation, although our guy is making a legitimate challenge to that crown.

1 Like

A shorter field means one less step for Joe to kick a goal from a centre square clearance.

Media’s all saying Tigers form is better and they’ll win it. Perfect. Big crowd, can’t wait.

2 Likes

At least, unlike Bock, Rance is not actually a drug cheat. (Neither is Hurley)

We’ve had a similar year to Richmond with who we’ve played and beaten. A completely different winning/losing streak though.

We’ve played 7 games in common. All at the same H/A, including both beating WC in melbourne and both getting belted by Adelaide. They on the other hand were able to beat fark and the demons.

I think their draw has been a bit harder than ours, and their form has been okay with all those close losses.

so, We’re gonna win! (actually I have nfi, fark I hope we do)

I’m yet to be convinced we’ve got a plan b to implement on the fly, but not many do. We definitely utilized a plan b on Sunday against West coast, hitting up short targets rather than bombing long inside 50 or looking for over the back goals. It was this that enabled us to minimize the impact of their intercept markers down back.

You’d have to think Richmond will try to deny us the corridor off half back, something that Melbourne did to good effect, all be it that we helped them significantly by butchering the footy. That will be harder to do on the wider expanses of the MCG though.

That’s all well and good but it doesn’t actually compare the single most important statistical areas for a defender. That being the ability to not get beaten in one on ones, intercept possessions and one percenters (spoils). What you’ve shown is nothing more than window dressing that serves as little more than confirmation bias for people incapable of an even or balanced view.
Hurley is a star no doubt and may have gone past Rance had he not been suspended but he was and subsequently hasn’t caught him yet.

1 Like

That’s valid. He’s certainly media darling, I reckon partly due to the “whimisical” off field persona and such. But reckon he also gets a lot of rope due to the fact that he’s basically the only decent defender they’ve got and single handedly pulls them out of the ■■■■ time and again. To give an indication of what he’s up against Astbury, who’s an even money chance to get Joe this weekend, has conceded the most goals of any key defender in the comp with 24 (Hamling 2nd). Oh and there’s that whole thing that he basically loses fewer one on ones than any defender in the comp…
If Joe gets Astbury, he has to put him to sword early, really torch him, and force a change that can drag Rance away from that deep defensive area that patrols so well.

4 Likes

Just enjoy it for what it is man, don’t bring logic into this :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

2 Likes

Solid song

1 Like

Fwiw Rance has 84 intercept possessions to 70 but we didn’t try free hurls up to Anzac day

1 Like

shave day?

Ivan trying to start a pun fest again?

Jesus this is faster paced than today’s games. Barely any stop starts. But so many deliberates, so many frees not paid, umpiring has certainly tightened up in ten years.

I’m firmly in the Hurley underrated, Rance overrated camp. Just a stat left off that picture -

1%'ers

Hurley 4.7
Rance 11.9

1 Like

I should give swipe to text the flick shouldn’t I?

Only thing a see Rance slightly superior at, is 1 on 1 work, the extra size helps, Hooker would be on par though.

2 Likes