Changes v Brisbane - round 4, 2019 - the speculation thread

I know your argument, which I partly agree with, and partly do not. I don’t want to argue it over and again forever.

I was questioning Speedys logic.

If a player struggled because the team struggled then why would he be dropped?

He was dropped because he played poorly.

Correct, example is Goddard last year who removed himself from the leadership group but was basically our second coach out there game day

Obviously you are as confused as I am then.

I’m not even slightly confused by this.

1 Like

I’m not sure there’s a contradiction in putting 2 of our best players in Merrett and Fantasia in the leadership group but not playing inexperienced kids. It’s a weird connection to make.

Decided on two rucks to counter Gawn

But now…

Smack injured
Lions very tall forward line

1 Like

Haha I dont know what to believe anymore
I just trust what I see and I would much prefer to be putting time into langford or Dlarke over Myers or even putting Parish in the middle for longer stints.

Like wise with Draper over Zlarke.

I’m with Jodi.

Brown was only average in the VFL on the weekend and doesn’t on face value seem like a like for like replacement for Smack so it seems strange.

Zlarke and Brown just seems very underwhelming for mine.

And dont get me started on the inclusion of Myers.

2 Likes

You’d nearly bet they won’t end up being the exact changes. Media very good at getting things wrong.

I had to laugh at Woosha’s comment that if Hooker doesn’t play AFL this week he’ll definitely play VFL. Does Woosha know there is a VFL bye?

I’m a bit more bullish on Myers, He has no problem winning the ball, id like him to put away the long kick to a contest in every situation which is perceived as he’s biggest asset which doesn’t suit out forward structure , and use he’s hands more. Not sure if he could be taught that now though, more of a Cripps Oliver kick handball ratio would be pleasing. Could be valuable releasing the likes of parish Shiel, zerret

1 Like

Should no real surprise if Francis is left out.

As many astute BB’s have stated, a backline containing all of Hurley, Ambrose, Hooker and Francis wouldn’t work.

3 Likes

The problem with that change for me is Brown isn’t a strong contested mark like Smack,

So I would have brought Hooker in and played him fwd and left Franga in the back line.
Id even prefer to throw Franga Fwd for a week then bring Brown in to replace Smack.

at least this way the side has a bit of continuity with the players that are in and out of the side because when Daniher is fit next week is Brown going to be immediately dropped or what?

I really hope if Francis is to miss this week its because of Injury and not form related.
And eventually Id be getting ride of Ambrose who really was just a short term replacement for Hooker anyway.

2 Likes

Bit of a left field suggestion:

• Play Hooker at the Punt Road end, alternating as a fwd/back
  • Play Brown at the City end, alternating as a fwd/back

Last week the breeze seemed to make goal kicking more difficult at the city end.

I think Hooker is more likely to have his shots from 40m out after clunking, whereas Brown seems to get out the back and have shots from 20m out (even if he is running toward the pocket!).

Thoughts?

4 Likes

My issue with Myers is that we don’t have trouble winning contested ball or clearances and they are the areas he competes well in.

We beat Melbourne on the outside and that’s where our strength is.

Myers effectively puts us a rotation down because he can’t be hidden anywhere else on the ground.

This is the reason why such an experienced player spends such a high portion of the game on the bench.

Yep, Browns strength is working his opponent over with long leads or fnding the ball in space.

The problem with both of those scenarios is that the forward 50 is either very empty requiring somebody fast to get back which Brown is not, or very congested requiring a strong contested mark.

Brown for mine is the poor mans Joe or even an inferior version of Stewart.

I respect Brown and what he’s been able to achieve but he is break in case of emergency type player and I would prefer to try something out of the box rather than try something as predictable as a Brown and Zlarke forwardline.

1 Like

100% agree

A brown and Zlarke Fwd line would be our worst in a decade I’d say.

3 Likes

I’m one of the biggest ‘Hooker plays back’ enthusiasts going around, but I reckon playing him forward this week is the biggest no brainer off all time.

If we drop Francis and have a Zlarke / Brown forward line… Damn, that’s just silly.

12 Likes

Whereas others have noticed that Smack is out so you wouldn’t play both Francis and Hooker down back. You’re not going to play Clarke as the only tall forward…

1 Like

I feel a bit for Myers. Last week he shared the ‘should never play for us again’ sentiment with Zaha and now he’s copping the full brunt.