Changes v Melbourne - Sunday 1:10pm

Zaka had 30 possessions week before, wont be out on performance even if average yesterday.

Stanton however has been down all season and worst on ground for Anzac Day.

No way Jobe gets up for Dees game.

Anyone else who cant recover in time and not going to be able to run out game (and thus be a passenger putting extra load on rest of team) needs to put hand up to say so and get rested.

What they do with Francis will be intriguing. Pops Kelly also another who may get rested, short break for the old timer and all.

OUT: Watson, Stanton // Leuey?
IN: Myers, McKenna // Belly?

4 Likes

Bird watchers, how has his form been? Dees midfield has some tough nuts to crack, he xould be very useful in that regard.

Didn’t play sunday, was held in reserve for yesterday.

2 Likes

Second this. If anything, Francis’ fitness will be enhanced by the experience given that he was red-lined cardiovascularlly but had an easier time than many others when it came to muscle impact and overload.

English please, Beefa

Tim Watson mentioned replacing Francis with Belly this morning on sen

Yeah, shouldn’t happen, the games moved on from 2 ruckmen in a team.

1 Like

Is it too early for Myers? Missed last 2 years plus PS, surely needs another 2 games in the 2s.

Out: Looney, zaka, Stanton/kelly
In: TBell, Bird, hocking/langford/mckenna/dea take your pick.

Maybe even drop kelly this week and bring him back after freo game.

1 Like

Tim said if you bring in Belchambers you’d probably drop Francis but then said he wouldnt
drop Francis. Unless he’s injured no way Francis comes out, dry game under the roof can see him
taking plenty of marks

1 Like

Clone Daniher and bring Daniher #2 in for Francis.

1 Like

Not in regards to a swap for this week. The question was posed about Bellchambers and where he sits in the team, Tim said he’s competing for that third tall forward spot which is the position currently held by Francis to which both Tim and Sam Mcclure said they would pick Francis.

1 Like

I would like to see Francis play back in this game, the way Melbourne bomb the ball in will suit a intercept marking type player like Francis, it’s his natural position and if you want him playing at his best, play him in the role he plays his best footy.

2 Likes

I like the idea of Bellcho replacing Luey for this one. You need to reward good VFL form. Also, we are going to win the ruck regardless, so why not include Bellcho who will also be able to hurt Melbourne going forward.

Beefa and Conjunctivitus are correct.
Francis is an explosive power athlete with questionable endurance at this stage of his development.
The explosive power means he can move very fast and strongly for a person of his size. But not for long, 3 or 4 contests - then he needs a rest. But 5-10 minutes later he has recovered enough to do it all again. He just can’t keep running hard for 30 mins in every quarter yet - which you really need to do to stay involved in the game and maintain structure with rest of the team.

In the last quarter Francis took on 3 or 4 pies on the boundary line and broke even and almost beat them with just effort and aggression at the players and the ball. He couldn’t do that if he was stuffed by the previous 3 quarters.

If he hasn’t had any knocks, he will be able to back up and play a similar game this week. His engine isn’t diesel it is rocket fuel. In 5 days, load him up, point him at the opposition, press ignition and stand back.

9 Likes

I don’t think you or should drop Francis after one game.

Belly clearly needs to come in. But the only one he can realistically come in for is Leuey or perhaps Hooker if he needs a rest week. You could then bring Hooker back for Freo and give Leuey that week off.

Someone above had a brilliant post which I think you can bank on.

Kelly to play game 299 this week.
Rested against Freo away the week after.
Comes back to play game 300 against the Cats the week after that.

6 Likes

Francis needs a rest because it’s only a 5 day break? Are we honestly saying that this short break has come as a surprise to the selectors?

Francis stays.

The only outs for mine will be dependent on how Jobe and Stants pull up. Two guys who actually are affected by having a year out, being 30+, playing in the wet and 5 day breaks.

The milestone hoodoo can continue.

3rd string ruckman with a chance to make a claim?

I wouldn’t be taking it for granted. They probably thought they’d never get a chance again.

Play Belly if he has the endurance to go the whole game. We’ve missed a ruck that is also a marking target.

IN: Belly, Begley, Benny

OUT: Berger, Baguley, Brent

1 Like