Changes Vs Swans - speculation and anticipation

Hartley? Woosha, plz.

3 Likes

Harts kept Buddy to 0 goals not too long ago. admittedly it was about 0.6…

The most important yet difficult game of our season.

A team we’ve lost the last 8 games against, including the final last year. A team who love ‘hard’ football. A team that will be written off all week after losing to a dismal Gold Coast side at home. A team whose main key forward through his playing career has given us more headaches than anybody else. A team who loves travelling and ‘backs to the wall’ victories. A team who have lost twice at Etihad in 6 seasons.

A team that surely has some behind the scenes unwritten mantra to beat us at every opportunity and make it as painful as possible.

This would be some performance if we can get the job done.

Surely it’s our time?

13 Likes

If it was me, I’d bring Draper in, and play Belly forward. I think Smack (money) and Leuy (body gone) will be gone next year, so we need to see what Draper can do now. With all our forwards going down it’s the time to do it. I’d also drop Goddard for Francis to strengthen the defence.

Out ===> In
Smack =====> Draper
Goddard ======> Francis
Colyer ======> Stringer
McNiece ======> McKenna (if fit)

Forward line of Belly, Brown, Stringer, Raz and Walla.

The main alternative would be Stewart or Laverde instead of Draper, or Hartley with Hooker then forward. But those options leave Belly rucking all day.

3 Likes

Out: colyer and mckernan
In: green and Hartley

Green is a better player than colyer gets more of the ball in his stints in the midfield and is actually dangerous as a small forward. Our forward 50 needs more scoring power. Hooker to stay forward and hartley to get first crack at franklin as last time he was alright on him and hooker struggles on him anyway.

3 Likes

The game where Goodes missed after the siren?

Out: Goddard, colyer, smack
In: Stewart, ,Francis, McKenna

4 Likes

I thought Hartley totally bossed it today. He took quite a few good marks which is an area he needed to improve. He of course also did some good spoils. I reckon he’s getting the balance right. The absence of BZerk, Redman, Ambrose and other tall guys he has played with in the VFL meant he had to do more than usual and he did well considering his relative lack of support.

6 Likes

Outs: McNurnan (injured), Colyer (omitted), BJ (rested).

Colyer stunk it up badly today. Willie Bin would have added more pressure and benefit rhe forward line today. BJ looked like a liability every time he had the ball (except for the last quarter), in particular he looked very slow and got caught too many times. l have no idea why he did a McKenna and tried to bounce the ball after only 3 steps. Way too many turnovers, and played sloppy footy most of the game. A few younger players went past him, based on today’s game.

Ins: McKenna & Stringer if available, plus Francis or Stewart, who provides the ruck chopout when needed. Or if Hooker/Hurley go forward then Francis takes that spot in defence.

1 Like

NINA

4 Likes

Not that long ago? Lol. It was pretty much an entire year ago and Buddy was in the worst form I’ve seen him in in years. And even then he probably could have had two or three but they just didn’t quite come off (which was a nice surprise as he was playing us). Hardly the feather in Hartley’s cap some tried to make it out to be.

I think McNeice stays, on the back of his best game for the club. I had him in my top 5 yesterday - his first half, especially, was pretty good. Can’t see ‘em dropping him.

5 Likes

I’m normally more of a no changes man.

But if we don’t bring in fresh blood this week, we are toast. The team looks tired.

2 Likes

BIG
SAMMY
DRAPER

5 Likes

Stewart comes in the last choice as a second ruck. I’d bring in Francis too and send Hooker forward. We did well against them last year with 3 tall forwards, only had 2 in the final. If we need Hooker to go back, then he goes back.

I can’t see BJ being happy about missing a game like this, but it might be the best time to unleash Franga. Give the Sqans something they’re not ready for.

Stringer is also a chance if fit, but I doubt that. Hartley had a good game yesterday, so he could be a chance too.

3 Likes

How I would love that.

Hurley killed him for 3 quarters on a wet night in 2015. But that was a different player.

2 Likes

Need a relief ruck- one of Stewart, Leuny, Draper ( unless we do a Richmond and play Langford in the ruck)
Need a clunking forward (for structure) - Leuny, Draper, Stringer if fit, or Hooker stays forward.
If Hooker forward need a key back - Hartley, Francis

If McKenna fit - in for Colyer - the only straightforward change.

Can we rely on Hartley’s marking?
Do we double up - keep Hooker forward, rest BJ, and play both Hartley and Francis / Ridley for intercept coverage and distribution?
But then we’re still short a back up ruck?

Will be interesting.

1 Like

I’m unsure why we’re now screaming for a backup ruck?
Sydney will most likely only have 1 recognised ruck, they’ve had Towers (189cm) and Aliir (194cm) doing the chop out for most of the year.

Any of Hooker/Stewart/Brown would be competitive I feel. Just won’t be the advantage that Joe or mcKernan would be.

TBC to monster Sinclair in the ruck. Tommy is in great form and feel that he owes him one for the final.

3 Likes