Changes vs Sydney

This.

NCFM

2 Likes

Ins

1. someone who can keep Franklin to a modest game instead of his usual goal-fest against Essendon.
  2. a decent Essendon performance on the SCG.
1 Like

If Parish and Langford come in for Myers and Howlett we’d have gone full circle and will be almost back to our round 1 side.

Only 3 changes being
TBell for McKernan
McKenna for Stanton
Stewart for Ambrose

The third is interesting as it shows a shift in our line-up.

Essentially Stewart is replacing Langford as the sixth forward and we are playing Langford/Myers as a defensive mid in place of a key defender.

Personally I’m happier with more support around the ball as I’d back our forward line against just about any. I’d prefer a better inside 50 differential rather than extra support down back.

If Ambrose was fit I’d say he comes in for Hartley rather than Myers.

2 Likes

He had a shocker but i cannot bare to see Myers out

1 Like

That’s what I wonder. Maybe our midfield improvement is due to the additional support Myers and Howlett provided.

7 Likes

Win against Port was a real team effort. Why would you change a team who played like that if you don’t have to?
No changes for me.

9 Likes

I would love to see Ambrose on Buddy, but that isn’t to be this time.

Parish has to come in, playing him in the 2’s makes no sense, I would say it will be Benny going out.

Myers played 69% game time, which may be an indication he is still finding match fitness, I reckon they will see how he comes up fresh after the break, he could be an important player still and if fit we should be playing him, given he is one of our clearance players and he gets credit for his off the ball work.

I do favour playing Langford, but after that win, I would be reluctant to muck around too much with the midfield other than put Parish back in, given he has been there most of the year and is definitely best 22. I suspect also playing Myers into form is an investment in our 2017 best 22 if we are heading towards finals.

1 Like

IN: A win in sydney
OUT: The typical franklin molestation

1 Like

I reckon give the job to Harts with the one agenda: stick with Franklin and shut him down completely. Franklin has been tearing us a new one everytime he plays us and enjoyed it too…it has to stop here.

The rosiness of a win is gold.

We’re keeping guys in now as professional ‘blockers’ and ‘shepherders.’

22 Likes

So tell him to play the exact same way that they dropped him for in the first place?

1 Like

Myers and Howlett had a total of 30 disposals between them, and 3 tackles.
Myers had 4 kicks.

Howlett had a great opportunity to kick a goal with neglegible pressure in the 2nd qtr, and couldn’t make the distance from 37metres out.
His decision to go long to Green one out against a KP player, when a dinky kick or long handball to Tippa would have almost certainly resulted in a shot on goal, was poxy.

The Myers missed handball was laughable it was so poor.

If Parish is 100% fit, he definitely comes in for 1 of the above 2.
I’m OK with The Langford coming in also, but understand that there are some things Myers/Howlett give the team, that Langford cannot at this stage.

I suspect that 1 of Myers/Howlett will be retained versus the Swans, but I’m not sure which.

6 Likes

Hopefully he would have learnt a thing or two and is now a better and more confident player. You have to try him again.

Not sure if you are talking about me, but we did break even with the clearances on Saturday and not only is Myers good off the ball, we know he has more upside than Howlett, and that with his interrupted pre and early season he warrants the effort to help him find fitness and form.

We need smart experienced inside players if we are going to make the most of this year, and Myers is 27 and in the first year of a three year contract, so, it is not as if we are thinking in terms of life after Myers in 2018. It is more like how do we get him up to speed for 2017 ASAP, because his best form is definitely best 22 in 2017 and beyond. And while Langford is definitely in competition with Myers as a midfielder, think he will get more benefit from playing VFL than would Myers.

Barring injury and provided there is improvement in Myer’s form and fitness after the bye, he holds his place.

4 Likes

A win like that HAS to be rewarded. Every player contributed to that win in some way. Team stability = constancy, NO changes

8 Likes

Parish has to come back in.
You’d have to drop Myers before Howlett.

1 Like

No, it was a general comment based on quite a few posts.

The bold bit is probably where we disagree.

I understand that with Bird, Hocking, Howlett all probably gone next year, and Watson and Goddard on very last legs, our big bodied inside mids are very thin on. Myers could have a role to play over the next few years of his contract, but even at best he isn’t and never really has been a bona fide starting mid. So, we’re essentially pumping games into a 27 y/o underperforming second stringer, who isn’t getting clearances, isn’t really winning much contested ball and whose best weapon (The hoof) has seemingly deserted him.

He is miles off it and has been in all 5 games, and I don’t think he has the runs in the board, or the potential upside, to just keep playing him regardless.

Howlett is a separate story, but really he seems to be keeping Parish’s spot warm for him, even though he probably looks more up to it than Myers atm.

But my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. When you win like we just did, it seems everybody played well and did a role.

8 Likes

Although it’s something we’ve lamented the lack of in the past, to wanna keep guys in for it now is not quite right. Impressively, we’re actually becoming a team of players who all work to do the little things like blocks and shepherds. I even see weedier guys like Gleeson and Fanta successfully dishing off and protecting the receiver. I think players need to bring more to the table for sure.

Bobcat’s game would have looked a whole lot better if he hadn’t had those 2 turnovers when going inside 50.

4 Likes