Changes vs Sydney

I’ve been thinking this for a while, how often does a team who makes no changes go on to win? My theory is you lose more often with no changes.

We were doomed from 6:20pm Thursday against Richmond when we named an unchanged side two weeks in a row.

Well, in a sense.
But nobody’s arguing pushing out somebody who’s performing well or picking someone with no form
And only an idiot could really believe we’ve not had form reasons (2 losses in a row before the Port game) and opportunity (Kelly & Parish breaking down) to blood youngsters.

It’s a question of intent, they’re very keen on Stanton, Howlett, Watson and Myers et al being given every chance to find form. With mixed results. I’d like to see the balance tilted a little.

I think howlett can offer more than Myers and could handle him being given another week but Myers has done basically nothing for over a month. Give him a spell and if he bangs the door down over a month then play him but he’s offering very little in the seniors and parish is a automatic in

3 Likes

Good points all around, though there may be less known reasons for not playing Begley, Clarke & Mutch yet. Like, perhaps, they have been instructed on something specific that they need to do before getting a game, and this specific something is essential to gel with the game plan. Otherwise, it may disrupt they whole thing.

You called for Begley to come in when howlett was Bog.

You have also crystal balled most senior players this year.

It’s not too big a statement to say that this year we have as much potential as next. So let’s have a go with what just worked well.

Wasn’t a response to your comment.

I agree with you in part about the older players.

But I also think we are in an odd list position where we have a lot of older players and then very young kids who aren’t really ready. It’s often our experienced depth players who are in the bests for the 2’s also.

The club and coaches obviously think we can play finals, as such we need to be putting team out that offers best chance of winning games.

All finals worthy teams generally try to bank as many wins as possible and use senior players early on. As the season wears on and injuries/resting needed and as games open up a bit they bring in kids as required.

Woosh has also had to have a good look at returning players to see whether they worth persisting with or not. That’s probably taken precedence at times.

Besides Langford now (and they must have a plan with him) no kids are really banging door down. Mutch was pressing for a game but then got injured himself. Begley has only just started to consistently put good performances together. Stewart got in off back of strong form.

1 Like

I can’t really see how any of them are so heinously bad at anything that it’s be that disruptive to pick them. Remembering all of the 12 are new to Worsfold too. They all had some taste in preseason and didn’t look too out of place, and all been doing reasonably well in VFL.

Although I think you’re probably right that most (if not all of them) have something to work on, as you’d expect for any first year outside the first few picks.

Not so much their personal skills, though that is always something. But working to the game plan.
In my opinion.

Not most, but one rough group of about 6 or 8 guys. And I’ve not been shown up yet.

Big difference guessing about someone you’ve watched for 6 or 8 years and someone who’s been here 5 minutes.
I’m very very bullish about a big chunk of our list.

Make it three games, my argument still holds.

You’ll note that my one suggested change was Parish for Howlett, so I agree with your preference for future over aging talent.

But, we’re seventh. Who would you drop for Mutch (or similar) and why?

By my count the round 1 side had 8 guys new to Woosha, so I’m not sure learning the game plan is a 12+ week process for some, if so many others went straight in?

Possible I guess.
I think it’s definitely possible and even likely that someone like Clarke would be on a program targeted at improving his kicking, before he’d get a Guernsey. Not sure that’d be true for all.

I’d drop Colyer for him no problems at all.

EDIT: and that’s also ignoring the larger picture - for a kid, getting that first taste early can be huge for their development.
Easily the most likely way up for this side is for more talented kids to push out these mid career B & C graders. If 3 games here and there to a Mutch or Begley could be any help in them becoming next year’s Fantasia or McKenna then why are we having any hesitation? Rather than Howlett or Hockijg having their 27th chance?

Fair enough.

I wouldn’t, yet.

You’re probably right - Parish for Howlett :slight_smile:

This is one thing I always agreed with Sheedy.
there’s always ways and times to improve and you need to be continually be finding out new things, not just saying oh we are looking good atm, lets not change anything just cos.

Howlett, myers and stanton don’t improve us, it really is that simple. They offer the status quo.
We should be using this time, while we are 7th and not pushing higher, to trial new things.

If push comes to shove and you honestly see nothing on the table that improves us more than myers and howlett then
A we are ■■■■■■
B call on them closer to finals

Surely you’d want to know rd 23, if one or two players are out, that you can go from a longer list of replacements knowing either they can or might do a better job than the 3 i mentioned before.

Instead of having to rely solely on picking a replacement from 3 players and hoping they fit in somewhere. wouldn’t you rather have the option of picking a replacement from 10 or so players, on exposed form, rather than 3 ?

I wouldn’t think he’d necessarily hold for all that long. But I don’t think that matters
It’s not the end of the world for someone struggling with form to have to force their way up from VFL (hi Tom hi), and the kid can also gain a lot more from that first taste than a 25 year old. And if Mutch does go really well and holds the spot… also a win?

You pick the best side to win, everything else comes secondary to that.

1 Like

Are we talking about making the team better or developing players? Do we put this year on hold and focus on individual development or are you saying playing them now will add to the side?

When the coaches all say the players are still getting used to playing together, are we really going to make bulk changes ?.

IMO Parish comes in.

Out : Troy
In : eleni

5 Likes