Christmas Open Session

Here's my observations of today. I'm a very irregular training observer so some observations may be in contrast of what some of our more esteemed posters may think. Here goes:

Training in sunny, mild conditions.

• Doesn’t feel the same being here minus Fletch…

• Competitive drills are pretty intense. It was at the other side of the ground so may have it a little mixed up but seemed to be 2 on 3 in the 50m zone. The 2 being the pressure & 3 the attackers. I guess focus of which is for the 3 to protect ball carrier & 2 to put as much pressure on as possible. Attacking team to finish with a goal.

• Emphasis in full ground drill seemed to be using the right option from the stoppage & clearing the congestion with the first possession then clearing to the flank before coming into the corridor through the centre or forward of the centre circle to forwards leading in multiple directions. Really good flow too, not much static movement, it seemed there was a 3-4 second limit to move the ball on, rarely did someone hold the ball & go back over the mark after mark or free.

• Clearance work was good from both a defensive & attaching perspective. Good pressure around the ball but the attackers eventually worked their way through. Heavy emphasis on pushing up to be man on the mark, slowing down the attack at every opportunity. Jobe & Goddard big at driving standards on both standards. If pressure wasn’t up to standard they let the boys know in no uncertain terms. Ditto on the attacking end.

• The rest in the full ground drill was a 3 minute “tempo” period. Object was to clear the D50 & maintain possession through the centre while trying to advance the ball. IMO this was done relatively poorly. Players kicked to poor options or tried to move the ball while stationery or still moving backwards. Fundamental really.

• Match simulation. Hooker forward (matched on Hurley), Brown back, Ambrose back. Parish came into his own. Will be a jet this kid, a bit like Mercuri that he doesn’t seem lightning quick but always has time and uses it superbly. Is a dead set competitor. Team rule was no backwards kicking to a stationary target in D50, player to receive ball from a backwards kick must be moving and in space otherwise directive was to wait for an option further afield & if none presented, long down the line to a contest for a stoppage.
    Woosha is big on discipline. A few times had a crack at Joe for poor defensive effort or for giving up front spot in the marking contest. “Gotta be better than that Joe”, “that’s two dumb mistakes now Joe” & “you’ve let the opposition off the hook Joe”. He was equally harsh on others making similar discipline errors.

• Drills focus on quick ball movement, decision making & skill execution.

• Hooker, Daniher, Bellchambers, Pears, Redman, Eades as leading targets. All took majority set shots when marking on the lead.
    A few thoughts on players:

• A lot of our guys looked leaner through the body & slightly bigger up top around the shoulders & chest. Colyer & Cooney in particular.

• Dempsey boxing, bike, rowing & doing laps

• Wallis laps.

• Hibberd, Heppell, Hocking, Colyer & Bird laps & interval work. Perhaps management of workload (as they’re all mids)? Baguley & Goddard also did some of this while full ground drill was on. Cooney jogged laps late & looked to be limping… Kommer joined this group just before match simulation. He seems miles away from it for mine.

• Langford looks terrific! Added some size in the upper body. Set for a big year. Could be a big improver.

• Z Merrett is silk. Hardly missed a target & made it look so easy.

• Fantasia looks set for a big year. Looks really comfortable & no doubt feels like he belongs.

• Zaharakis looks great right now! Supremely fit & assured with ball in hand.

• Francis looks a classy player. A natural. Reads it well in flight & doesn’t waste the ball. It’s precision & to the right target. Will play straight away IMO.

• Laverde looking the goods too. Very clean handler & good decision maker.

• Eades is a livewire. Always on the move & a nice burst of pace.

• Redman leads well at the ball, hits it hard, perhaps not quite as hard as Hurley when he played forward but certainly meets it at pace with assured hands.

• Edwards I love what he can bring to the table and this may sound a tad harsh but he looks good when he’s got the ball but doesn’t seem interested otherwise. May be unfair but doesn’t seem engaged when he’s not actively involved. Others like Fantasia, Z Merrett, Kommer, Zaharakis, Stanton are always engaged & vocal when not actively involved. I think Edwards needs to take a leaf out of these guys book and involve himself more even if it may not necessarily be in his make up as a person. Big upside though.

• Luenberger looks really athletic. Was on the move most of the session. Could no doubt ruck majority of a game. Will be interesting to see if the club plays both he and Bellchambers in the same team.

The club were happy with the turnout and plan on putting on another session on Wednesday January 13 at Windy Hill at 4pm. I understand this will be communicated soon. Overall the mood was very positive and the boys seem up and about. I’m very optimistic about our future with a very exciting young core. Hopefully the above report is of value to some of you and I haven’t disgraced myself in writing it… Cheers :slight_smile:

Terrific report! Thanks!

I wanna hear more about Langford. Seems he’s about to hit the next level.

Thanks for the report everyone.

I wanna hear more about Langford. Seems he's about to hit the next level.

It’s difficult to monitor just one player through these training sessions, but perhaps in combination, we can get there. My perspective, was that he pushed hard during the defensive/tackling drills. He was visibly and demonstrably ■■■■■■ off when he failed at anything. He sprinted well. Physically, he looks a bit bigger in arms and upper-body.
That’s all I got.

Great report Mr_Sunbury#1

Haven’t got time to say anything detailed, but was very impressed with the intensity and spirit of today’s session.

Unfortunately, i too am still technically working and as such had to leave an hour or so in. but a few thoughts on what i did see:

Work still needed as a group on kicking skills. we ran a full oval drill where players worked around the ground in segments. The ball had to be brought in in the back pocket and transitioned cleanly up the field for a shot at goal. The focus on putting the ball out in front, running on to it, handball give, kick again. too many kicks were too far in front, or too high and forcing the player to “prop” and wait. Too many also missed running into goal. in fairness, some of the major offenders were the new players, but it was still untidy. Later in the session the same was done but this time with a defensive team added. Both squads forced turnovers when defending, but both also turned the footy over with iffy kicking. Theres a “dancing with your sister” aspect to all this of course.

Some of the small group drills were interesting. 2 on two or 3 on two, the 2 with the ball had to run the ball through the defenders and cross a “line” a few meters away. the aim seemed to be positioning to cover the loose player without the ball. a few times the coach comment was “they have him (the ball carrier) covered, you didn’t need to get drawn into the footy”. Longy was interesting in this, some really clever inside taps and handballs to put his team mate into space. Parish isn’t easy to get around and can tackle well. Lav is a strong bugger, he threw agility out the window on occassion and simply barged through, crossing the line with a couple hanging off him.

Parish: rolls royce movement. kicks both feet. in match play, he reminds me of a quicker Sam Mitchell. By this i mean that he is neat and usually efficient off both sides, but also that he follows up a possession with smart running for the next one. Low to the ground and well balanced. My only criticism would be a few kicks too loopy and falling short / chopped off. looks a great prospect.

Eades: impressive in attitude and also physical development. Upon finishing a ground area drill, the players had to run to the boundary flag and make their way upfield to the next one. Yestin would pass several players in the run from flag to flag, ran himself into the ground. He wants it, you can see it clear as day. His kicking action looks dynamic and damaging, not always clean off the boot at this stage. Goes hard. I like him.

Gleeson: copped some flack on here during the year, but he has an assuredness with the footy and looks stronger.

Jobe: looks in ripping knick, no weight being carried at all. Stab passing was precise and on the money

Zac: Gun.

Francis: only noticed a couple of nice marks. Whenever i tried to spot him, he was between drills. Cant give much of an opinion yet. He’s a big kid though.

The Langford: get on him! has added serious size to that frame. moves like a gazelle, lopes around at surprising speed, very clean hands and some poise. Cannot wait to see him play next season.

Laverde: Initiate beast mode. Not appreciatively bigger, but looks stronger. Can see him smacking through contests and Francis feasting on the outside. Has a good sidestep but will run straight through when needed and can keep his hands clear when tackled. Perhaps less smooth moving than Langford, but i suspect is going to be awesomely effective.

Belly and Luey both moved well imo.

Morgan and Redman i didn’t pick up on too often.

We look very very fit right now as a group. We did stacks of running between the actual drills.

Might post a few more pics later.

Is Zach Merrett our best midfielder? He's starting to make claims I think.

Nah Hepp, Watson.

I’ve been reading Blitz so I thought Parish was our best mid?

I know it’s been touched on in the Francis thread but from the perspective of training watchers, Is he a realistic chance of being big enough to play a KP or at this early stage is he still looking more a 3rd tall option?

Here is my report. L

The inflatable obstacle course was bedlam.

Our kicking at goal is still poor.

Dyson Heppell is very popular but very accomodating. Tippa is already a sensation.

So is Gach

All these training reports are similar with a few small differences here and there but I’m just as eager to read the next one as I was the last. My optimism about our future is sky high atm. Thanks to everyone doing the reports for keeping the rest of us in the loop. Great job. Merry Christmas too btw.

I will be offline again for a while but i presume Parish is of interest so one before i go.

Lav is a strong bugger, he threw agility out the window on occassion and simply barged through, crossing the line with a couple hanging off him.
fkg LIKE
Picked up the most controversial blitz jumper ever

Shaun Edwards grey clash strip

https://flic.kr/p/Bsqxae

Got one too. Collectors item right?

Rookie Report:
Today Conor was absent. I think he is sinking a quite few guinesses somewhere in Ireland.
Tom Wallis running laps and training on the sidelines. I did not see him in match simulation exercises.
Gach. Fit, very tall, very thin, but far from unco. Was in amongst it. His hands are good, and as far as I could see he did not drop one uncontested mark. He kicking is suspect, and he has a ball drop that seems to spin the ball , but I am sure this will be ironed out. He is also not so good in contested marking situations where he can be muscled out of the way. But early indications are very good.
Jake Long: Looks a lot better in this years preseason and has improved his body a few kg and looks more at ease and smooth in general play.
Tippa: What can I say, his disposal is superb, as ever, he moves well and reads play well has safe hands, but its just not fair to try and match him up on a giant.
Hams. Looked very agile and at home in tight in inside situations is genuinely hard at it and didnt stuff up that I saw.

Who will fill the last position on the main list? They can select Conor in the AFL anytime as a Cat B rookie , so based on todays training its out of Hams and Tippa.

Yeah Tippa was matched up on McKernan quite a lot

First time ever made it to a training sess. First time posting on BB. I used to post of Bombertalk many years ago.

Firstly the HPC is impressive. After parking in the department of agriculture visitor parking and walking over the grass mound into the centre the HPC looms as a huge monolith and certainly seems worth the investment. I can see this growing over time as the Cafe and shop were way over capacity. the toilets were also taking a fearful hammering. Walked pass Xavier with my son and wondered by Benny Gales was walking around Essendon facilities in a suit. I would the like air condition ducting on the roof painted charcoal to match but outside that the centre looks great. Great back drop with planes flying in the background.

I’m not knowledgable enough to grasp all the technical aspects of the drills but my overall impressions of those in the main training group;

1. Edwards stood out and his defensive efforts were excellent. In the last drill where teams were transitioning the ball from end to end he was forced to scrap for the ball on the ground(on the far wing where I was watching) and had the urgency and desperation that we have been waiting for. I was expecting for him to just blend in … but he stands out … in a good way. Looks focused and went hard all session.

2. Kommer. I can see why we kept him on the list … he is a tackling machine and brings great intensity to the group. He’s comparable to Benny Howlett and thats a compliment.

3. Morgan. Moves well. Early in the training session he was impressive with his positioning and low passes into the forward line. He disappeared as the training session went on but he stood out early as someone who is clean with the ball and can pass well. He’ll dominate at VFL.

4. Eades. Playing group broke into 3 and one of the drills was carried out on the wing closest to us. This involved players working the ball 20 metres by hand passes and running with the ball in a 3 on 3 arrangement. Eades was awesome in this drill and tackled hard and in one passage brushed off Stanton with a ‘don’t argue’ allowing his team to win that passage. Long was working hard to tackle but Eades made him look second rate a few times. He also tackled Howlett in another impressive passage.

5. Gach. Kicking all over the place but he does have a good skill base and his fitness and athleticism is 1st class. When he cleans up his kicking and learns the right running patterns he will be a gun. Even at this stage he can find space and attracts the ball.

6. Parish. Melbourne made a mistake. He’s going to be a clearance machine. He has great disposal and he has the fantastic knack for just attracting the ball… even when he shouldn’t. There was a passage late in training when they were running drills to move the ball into the F50. In one case the player … should have clearly passed to Langford who had his man beaten deep inside 50 … but the pass went to Darcy way out in the pocket. He is putting on some size already so for those who might be worried about his small frame, don’t be.

7. Zac Merret. Gun. Great Delivery, Great Tackling. would be close to our best midfielder. Definitely has the best delivery and tackling of any of our regular midfielders.

8. Francis. Fitness is coming. Not great with the sprints and 200 hundreds but once on the ground he moves well. Looks to be close to the same size as Hurley when I saw them standing together. There is no way we could have passed on him. Don’t like the idea of him playing forward atm. Maybe just in small bursts

9. Langers. Moves like a gazelle… Looked good all over the ground today except when he was deep in the F50 as an attacker and Ambrose was defending him. Ambrose had the better of him… However as the point man delivering into the F50 he’s as good as Merret. I’d be playing him as a mid. With Edwards I can see him becoming really important next year.

10. Jay Dog. Looks great but I think is still a full season away from really smashing it. He covers the ground well… agile for his size but he’s young and the tank still isn’t there for the type of player he will become. I reakon we will see flashes of brilliance and maybe a few dominant games but probably thinking more about 2017 when we should really expect something. I think Langers will be the one to watch next year … but they are really two excellent players.

11. Cooney, Hibberd, Bird, Hepp, Colyer Wallace running laps. Baguley and Hocking doing some running late in the session. Hepp is an endurance machine and will benefit from having Watson back. Cooney does look in good shape but if he plays it will mean someone like edwards on langers misses out. I hink we might use Cooney at the start of the season. if he holds up great if not then we have coverage now.

12. I’ve never been a fan of Ashby but he looked really good in the session cutting off passes all over the place. Maybe he is coming into his own. Credit where credit is due. I’m not sure if it really was ashby but he had longish messy hair similar to Browny.

13. Leuey. Great pace for a big guy. I would have him over Bellchambers atm but Belly is a great shot for goal.

14. Longy. I reakon he’d be better in the AFL then the VFL… just one of those players. From what I saw today I’d have Edwards ahead of Eades then Long.

15. Brown is a perfect addition to our team. Looks good

16. Hooker is a gun …not much else to say but if he plays a whole season up forward he could kick 40.

I didn’t pay much attention to Gleeson, Hurley, Stants, Mckernan, J Merret, Fantasia. so it would be good to know what others thought of them.

I think 2016 will be way better then 2015 … but I think the following year when we get some hardness into our young guns is where we can expect to really push for winning finals but I’m happy to be proven wrong. Lidoff 2017.

Was Gach’s kicking really that bad?

How was TIPPA.

Watch Langford struggle through the season with injury and amass 7 games. In all seriousness want a big year from he and Lav and Oraz.

How do we field 35 players at once?

If you are looking for the most agile player at our club, put down your glasses, its Yestin Eades.

Gach’s kicking wasn’t that bad. Better than Joey’s.

Good to be able to get to a training. Good crowd, players + Worsfold generous with there time at end.

Seems most are seeing the same improvement in individuals Lav/Lang, Zac, Gleeson, Ashby/Long to lesser extent and one for me that now believes he belongs Fantasia so that group are coming along pretty well.

Some alternatives:

Hartley- looks as if he will provide decent backup, bit fumbly below his knees but has a good roost on him and can read the high ball, tick.

Gwilt- for me is ahead of pears as the third back, more reliable in his first job which is to stop his opponent marking it.

Edwards- to disagree with someone above, I thought his defensive efforts were really good. Chased quite deep to half back on a few occasions and was rewarded by becoming the bloke to carry it back. Thought his session was class in run and attitude.

Brown- welcome aboard (I’m a hooker forward man for balance) simply reads the game and doesn’t make many mistakes. Has to be a lock at CHB rnd1.

Yestin - I kept thinking Yarran for some reason. ■■■■■■ super fit for a month old. Looks as though he could be a HB, Wing or HF which adds more line breaking depth when he gets his go. Not sure ahead of Fantasia, Edwards, Gleeson or the L’s who have the square covered, so may have to wait.

Leuwy- Has TBC measure in the hit out dept, plus spreads quite effectively. Bottom line is great to see 2 healthy ruckman competing, so…Smack for mine becomes the interesting one and will all depend on what combo they want. If Daniher/Hooker are the Keys which I suspect- I’d go with Smacks mobility.

Will finish with the main talking point Francis (Parish a lock). Cannot see him ready for round 1, he blows up and can’t keep up, Couple NAB games and full hit outs in VFL is what i think
Where will he play? He ain’t a mid as he is simply to big. Our next key defender has arrived is all I see and sinilar role model in Hurley he has to learn from.

I could go on and on but overall really enjoyable session with plenty of run, yeah there was plenty of mistakes, like rarely hitting a target inside 50- Jobe, Darcy and Zac excused, but the energy and excitement they are creating outweighs that.