Christmas Open Session

Jackson merrett looks in great nick

I reckon he’s a dark horse to be a big improver. Just needs to be played further from goal imo. He’s an outside mid, not a forward

What is that growth on Gleeson’s arm, he should get that looked at

What is that growth on Gleeson's Fanta's arm, he should get that looked at

Fixed :slight_smile:

Jackson merrett looks in great nick

If you look behind him, JD is looking like He-Man!!!

(yes i’m pretending that his arm size isnt doubled by someone behind him too)

And its most likely the angle, but Pears looks like the size he was in his first 2 seasons.

No, Pears has trimmed down a bit, no doubt imo.

Was the biggest surprise to me. The dedication he’s shown will hopefully translate into form. I really want the guy to succeed.

finally got around to flicking through the (few) pics i took. maybe of interest.

Hartley?

Jobe.

Oh my.

finally got around to flicking through the (few) pics i took. maybe of interest.

Hartley?

looney i believe

Thanks. Nice ball drop.

It would be one hell of a story it Pears can get back to form in the ones. Another tallish HBF would be nice to have.

Any word on Hibbered in the preseason. Thought he had a down year from his lofty standards. But a solid preseason could see him return to his damaging self.

Also a fit pears could see him move to the wing.

Was the biggest surprise to me. The dedication he’s shown will hopefully translate into form. I really want the guy to succeed.

You only have to look at Jobe Watson for a lesson in how much difference being really fit makes. It’s a long time ago now, but in his first couple of years he rarely got a game, and when he did he rarely got a touch. He was slow, he was sluggish, he didn’t get the ball.

Then the penny dropped, and he spent the summer working his bum off, especially with boxing. He returned looking lean and hard and he’s never looked back.

The same thing happened with Joe Misiti. He played in the 1993 premiership as a kid, but then had a few years in the wilderness, a shadow of his early promise. He put on weight and he could barely get a touch. Then he saw the light, got himself really fit and hard over summer, and got leather poisoning week after week. And another premiership.

I suspect Pears’ extra padding was due at least as much to his injury problems as it was to any attitude problem, but it was obvious that he was carrying more than he should have been. If he’s got himself fit and lean, I expect we’ll see a very good player next year.

Who else is already moist for next season. Chucked some cash on Langford for rising star, is laverde still eligible?

Already chucked a sneaky $50 on us to win the flag at $60. Babybombers16

I seem to do that every year (the pineapple on us for the flag). Hasn’t worked out so well yet

Who else is already moist for next season. Chucked some cash on Langford for rising star, is laverde still eligible?

Already chucked a sneaky $50 on us to win the flag at $60. Babybombers16

Get on Hooker for the coleman @ $81.00

Just did… Great bet! He’s good for 2.5 a game without training for the role

You only have to look at Jobe Watson for a lesson in how much difference being really fit makes. It’s a long time ago now, but in his first couple of years he rarely got a game, and when he did he rarely got a touch. He was slow, he was sluggish, he didn’t get the ball.

Then the penny dropped, and he spent the summer working his bum off, especially with boxing. He returned looking lean and hard and he’s never looked back.

The same thing happened with Joe Misiti. He played in the 1993 premiership as a kid, but then had a few years in the wilderness, a shadow of his early promise. He put on weight and he could barely get a touch. Then he saw the light, got himself really fit and hard over summer, and got leather poisoning week after week. And another premiership.

I suspect Pears’ extra padding was due at least as much to his injury problems as it was to any attitude problem, but it was obvious that he was carrying more than he should have been. If he’s got himself fit and lean, I expect we’ll see a very good player next year.

Now that pears is fit and injury free I would love him to make it. Always get the feeling it’s a mental issue with him. Has all the attributes but does he believe!

I believe they deliberately bulked Pears up for a kpp role after year 2. Like Solly in the mid-2000’s, it may not have been a great move for the player. But hes been injured so often- in varying and random ways- that its impossible to judge.

I believe they deliberately bulked Pears up for a kpp role after year 2. Like Solly in the mid-2000's, it may not have been a great move for the player. But hes been injured so often- in varying and random ways- that its impossible to judge.

Sal, you’ve always been a big Pears fan and I think I recall you starting a thread a few years back where you wrote an open letter to Tayte.

Do you still hold out hope?

Belief!!

I’ve always had it personally, … still got it.

He’ll be right …

I believe they deliberately bulked Pears up for a kpp role after year 2. Like Solly in the mid-2000's, it may not have been a great move for the player. But hes been injured so often- in varying and random ways- that its impossible to judge.

Sal, you’ve always been a big Pears fan and I think I recall you starting a thread a few years back where you wrote an open letter to Tayte.

Do you still hold out hope?

he’s on the list so there’s hope…

the thing i cling to is that he’s a ball winner. even amongst injury-plagued years, he seems to get the pill in his fleeting appearances. quite a lot considering the position he plays. to me, it suggests a pretty good footy brain. whether he can add the defensive effectiveness required from, err, a defender , remains an open question.

no question he’s in the last chance saloon. if they’ve fined him down and he gains (regains?) a yard of pace then maybe, just maybe his game comes together again. Unlikely though. Too many years without enough footy, let alone genuinely good footy, is the reality. he’s coming from deep in the field. fingers crossed, but thats really where its at.

Pears did not run at all in 2014. Up to 2015 he had built his upper body and legs into pretty much a muscle bound state and it has taken him a long time to develop running fitness again. He got better and better in the VFL after they sent him down back and by the end of the season he was just able to adapt to playing a passable game at AFL level.

Based on the way he played in the AFL at the end of the season, I would have him somewhere in the range 23-30: that is , “Depth”, but if he improved yet more it could make things interesting when we get to March 2016