Christopher Lee

Laters.

Was attached to the British SAS in World War 2. Hunted war criminals after the defeat of Hitler.

Also made some movies, apparently.

Damn that’s sad, great actor and a hell of a life by the sounds of it

Sad face

I knew when I saw this thread it would be about death.

fate was sealed when he swapped allegiance to Mordor and then tried to get the Ring for himself.

Will they nail the coffin?

This is thoroughly sad news.

I’m at the age now where many of my childhood heroes are dying.

Sad but what a life. Vale CL

■■■■. No more Xmas metal.

:frowning:

Laters.

Was attached to the British SAS in World War 2. Hunted war criminals after the defeat of Hitler.

Also made some movies, apparently.

There was apparently stuff he did during the war in North Africa that he wasn’t allowed to talk about… ever.

And a couple of days after he climbed Mount Vesuvius it erupted. Cop that.

RIP

One of the greats

Gave in to his dark side.
One of the greats.

No CJ, gave his life to his Fu Manchu brides!! You should know.

Best moment when he speaks from the volcano, “You will see me again.”

Some random facts I’ve culled from IO9…

At age 17, he saw the death of the murderer Eugen Weidmann in Paris, the last person in France to be publicly executed by guillotine.

In the ‘50s, Lee was engaged to Henriette von Rosen, daughter of Count Fritz von Rosen. The Count apparently didn’t like Lee, because after hiring private detectives to investigate the actor and demanding references, he also refused to allow his daughter to marry him unless Lee got the blessing of the King of Sweden. Lee got it.

The story has gone around a lot, but it bears repeating because it is incredible: During his death scene in Return of the King (only included in the Extended Edition to Lee’s disapproval), director Peter Jackson was describing to him what sound people getting stabbed in the back should make. Lee gravely responded that he had seen people being stabbed in the back, and knew exactly what sound they made.

Lee was quite interested in the history of public executions, and reportedly knew “the names of every official public executioner employed by England, dating all the way back to the mid-15th century.

While filming a swordfight with a drunken Errol Flynn during the filming of The Dark Avengers in 1955, Flynn accidentally cut Lee’s hand so badly his finger nearly came off, and permanently injured. Later, Lee cut off Flynn’s wig while Flynn was still wearing it. Flynn stormed off set and refused to come out of his trailer until Lee claimed it was an accident.

Speaking both French and Italian, Lee spent his time after World War II hunting Nazis with the Central Registry of War Criminals and Security Suspects until he decided to give acting a try at age 25.

He was entered into the Guinness Book of World Records in 2007 for most screen credits, having appeared in 244 film and TV movies by that point in his career— at which point he made 14 more movies, with a 15th due later this year (titled Angels in Notting Hill). He also holds the record for the tallest leading actor — he stood 6’ 5” — but also for starring in the “most films with a sword fight” with 17.