Clakko & Co: family destruction allegations

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/hawthorn-racism-report-author-phil-egan-unlikely-to-be-part-of-afls-independent-investigation/news-story/a450b8bccf2a63570de53f5c824ea1e1

Hawthorn racism report: Author Phil Egan unlikely to be part of AFL’s independent investigation

The author of the sensational Hawthorn report into past racism is unlikely to be part of AFL’s independent investigation.

The author of the sensational Hawthorn report into past racism at the club is unlikely to appear as part of the AFL’s independent investigation due to a non-disclosure agreement with the Hawks.

Former AFL footballer Phil Egan signed a non-disclosure agreement with Hawthorn as part of his authorship of the report, which saw him interviewing First Nations families who revealed a series of sensational allegations against Hawthorn staffers.

His adviser Peter Jess said on Tuesday Egan believes he has been silenced given the potential legal issues if he appears.

Hawthorn has made clear he cannot pass on any of the information from within those interviews given the families signed non-disclosure agreements as part of what was initially a welfare check into Indigenous families.

They have told Egan they are happy for him to appear at the inquiry to answer questions about the report’s formation and process of interviewing players and families.

Given the strict parameters of his potential appearance and potential for legal action he is unlikely to appear.

The AFL had hoped the investigation led by Bernard Quinn KC might be wrapped up by Christmas but it now seems likely to drag on well into the year.

Hawthorn’s legal advice is that it can not allow Egan to disclose information from interviews which were given with strict privacy accompanied by non-disclosure agreements.

Most of the families who made allegations are being interviewed by the independent panel, so their allegations will be passed on.

But the partner of one of the Hawthorn players at the heart of the allegations, Amy*, said in November she would not speak to the AFL about the investigation.

It was Amy* (not her real name) who alleges people at Hawthorn urged her partner to leave her and tell her to have an abortion.

Egan’s lawyers had asked the AFL to indemnify him against any potential charges —protecting him from any legal liability — but the league has declined.

Given the vast potential for legal action from both sides of the issue the league was never likely to be in a position to indemnify Egan.

But given some of the First Nations families involved have refused to speak to the investigators Egan’s testimony would have been critical.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has agreed to remain at the helm of the AFL until April to land the results of the inquiry but it is not clear when it will be completed.

McLachlan said on Tuesday he hoped it might be returned in the next month, saying “I think obviously time is important and hopefully we get something back in February” but that seems an optimistic prediction.

Egan’s adviser Peter Jess told the Herald Sun on Tuesday it seemed unlikely Egan would be part of the league’s independent inquiry.

“As it stands Phil and his company Binmada have signed a non-disclosure agreement with Hawthorn not to talk about or discuss in any way, shape or form the contents of the report.

“It is still in place and for him to talk to the AFL he must be released from that. He has also asked if the AFL would indemnify him from any costs that flow from him talking about his report and the AFL have refused,” he said.

“It is clear the report will be fatally flawed without him. It requires the person who is the producer to be part of the report to be part of this. Not to do so makes it incomplete.”

Amy said the AFL lacked independence and in a statement said “the AFL does not have the appropriate appetite, expertise or strategy to effectively address the matters raised in the Hawthorn Cultural Safety Review”.

But a group of families who made allegations have committed to speaking to investigators after the league committed to further cultural reviews of AFL practices.

12 Likes

Surprise surprise the AFL is silencing those who have the most to say.

20 Likes

Thanks @BakerWasAStar

2 Likes

Yet another massive black mark against the AFL. But I suppose they couldn’t give a flying ■■■■■ for those deeply affected by this.

1 Like

Looks like this will go a little longer.

I’d say a mid season completion might work.
It’s usually when the game gets a bit boring and there isn’t as much for the media to report on.
It’s also usually when the ‘let’s change the rule’ , ‘the game is looking boring’ and ‘let’s change the finals system’ rubbish starts being talked about a lot more.
Maybe it’ll be Magic Round when half the Victorian media is focussed on SA and many ‘puff piece’ stories can be had all week round.

One things for certain…
The results will not occur in the weeks leading up to or during Doug Nichols Round.

2 Likes

yeah, that really is a pity isn’t it, AFL

5 Likes

I rewatched the Cathy Freeman documentary again last night

That first time at the commonwealth games after she won gold and ran with the aboriginal flag, and Australian flag was remarkable 1994.
And the reaction from the administration was a joke having a crack at there for it, like maybe if she tossed the Aussie flag to the side they would have had a leg to stand on.
It showed unity, and being proud of australian and aboriginal heritage.

16 Likes

I think I know what you mean, but I’m not sure having two flags (3 when you include the TSI flag) shows “unity” (i.e. the state of being united or joined as a whole).

Maybe we just need a new flag for all.

1 Like

So many options

0 voters

4 Likes

There was a Jack Off T shirt on the market for a while
Some called it disrespectful, including to ancestors who fought under the flag in WW1 ( except they didn’t)

1 Like

Where’s the ‘None of the above’ option?
Those ones are horrible.

1 Like

Yeah, where’s the tri-blade or cross-blade boomerang options?

(Cross-blade or four wing boomerangs existed historically in at least Queensland.)

1 Like

Of those I prefer option one.
It has indigenous culture in the prime position, it has the Royal Blue that recognises modern settlement, and the Southern Cross for our geographic position (and maybe a little worker reference).

I would not be adverse to the black extending and replacing the Royal Blue, and the stars being yellow.

I don’t think it would be as…correct, but I’d be okay with it.

In fact, I’ve always thought replacing the colours of the Union Jack with the red yellow and black would okay, too.
Three options.

I’m not really about completely new.

1 Like

Correct. OUR flag wasn’t OUR flag until 1953.

2 Likes

let’s get rid of the southern cross and those bastardized union jack colours for a start

Of course it’s disrespectful.
60-70k years of occupation deserves representation.

So does literally everything that led to modern society in this country.
From our government to our institutions to…you know…the actual house we live in.
It’s not always pretty, but it Is who we are and where we came from.

Makes me laugh/cross that people want to deny their own lives.

Also, I think replacing the colours of the Jack would be a fine old jape.

Nuke the Union Jack ffs.

8 Likes

I like keeping the blue and southern cross, then mix in the colours of the aboriginal flag.
Option1 or option 5

you could just cover over the union jack with aboriginal flag, but if changing it may as well start with a clean canvas.

A New Flag for Australia? (flagsaustralia.com.au)

A convict sited between a kangaroo and emu representation on our flag would show our more recent history
Brazil may have beaten us to it in having the Southern Cross on the national flag.

2 Likes