Clakko & Co: family destruction allegations

Governance, clap clap clap.

I know this is probably a joke, but only Fagan is a Tasmanian. Clarkson is from the Wimmera in Victoria, and probably would have ended up playing for Essendon if zones were still in place.

2 Likes

A skilled mediator may help guide the party toward a more considered or open position, but they are always at the mercy of the participants.

Iā€™ve been in many settings where the parties are soo steadfast in their positions, beliefs or opinions that no amount of hours spent together or individually with them will make a difference.

The mediatorā€™s skill or experience is also negligible if the parties are not genuinely open to the process or arenā€™t going to be honest in their discussion. For example, if honestly would have legal implications the participant would likely deny at all costs because the cost of that would exceed any benefit from speaking the truth.

Without some level of validation of (both) participantā€™s complaints or issues, there is rarely compromise or resolution.

• in my humble opinion as a mediator starting out in the last 4 years.
6 Likes

My old man used to get stuck into every minority possible at any stage. I loved him because he cared but I knew very early on all those things he used to say on a daily basis were cruel, unessecary and as I got older false.

We got sent home with a survey from school in grade 6 relating to the issue and one question was do you identify as racist. He marked it yes and Iā€™d never felt so embarrassed. Embarrassed what my teacher, the school, other kids, might think. So I crossed it out and ticked no, then realised it looked worse and crossed that out. Then I just ended up eating it, or maybe the dog did, but Iā€™m not sure if it ever got back.

When I was older he got stuck into Desmond tutu after heā€™d had a few and I just told him he had more good in his little finger than anyone else in the house combined.

Got me kicked out and no mistake.

When I got back from travelling in my late 20s I walked into their kitchen and thereā€™s a boomerang hanging over the fridge. I do wonder if heā€™d relented a tiny bit in his old age but my social philosophies were very much born out of what I felt was abuse of sorts. I was a sensitive kid and hearing them called vile names, nasty jokes, features made fun of, living conditions criticised made me wonder if he was bought up in a pretty ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  house so I felt horribly sorry for him. I knew deep down he was a good, loving man but had just been corrupted along the line.

I buried him recently and never bought up any of it with him but he knew very much which side I stood on and Iā€™ve never been afraid to call it out, either blatant or subconscious and at least challenge it. Some stuff like the stolen generation just stops me in my tracks. The hurt you feel just by thinking about it, the initial conflict with Europeans, the betrayal of trust caused by secretive royal orders on how the country would be reclaimed, yada, yada, yada lights a fire I canā€™t put out sometimes.

And when you hear how people are ā€œboredā€ with the conversation is so overwhelmingly sad. Itā€™s nothing. At least with someone with racist views there is some emotional care there, but bored? a lot of the time thatā€™s far worse.

Itā€™s apathy that slows you up on a long road back, making any meaningful healing almost beyond my lifetime.

I hope my kids see more hope than my old man gave me.

42 Likes

I think this is the salient point, and why mediation in this case is likely to be fruitless.

1 Like

Heā€™s won 4 flags as a coach in a very combative sport.

To me heā€™s more of the Michael Jordan of coaches in that heā€™s incredible at what heā€™s been able to achieve, but heā€™s a ā€˜win at all costsā€™ burner of relationship type of prick! Not well liked by those he had success with.

None of Buddy, Hodge, Mitchell, Roughhead spruik him being an absolute legend of a guy.

Unlike most in here I doubt heā€™s racist.

What I wonā€™t dismiss though is heā€™s a ā– ā– ā– ā– . An angry little prick who wouldnā€™t care if you were black, white or purple, male or female. If he thinks he can tailor a situation to better his win loss ratio, then heā€™s taking it.

Iā€™m not doubting the stories of the indigenous players or the families. I think if theyā€™d drafted a white kid from Purnell Rd Corio, he and his cronies would have done all in their power to try extract them from their lower socioeconomic ā€œproblematicā€ network and recondition them the way they think best, to lower the risk of them impacting their return on investment.

Clakko and his cronies likely see their players as dispensable capital to be used at their will.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/Briggs/status/1661209447904182272?t=ChQPYQIM35XqnxTcGMX3Hg&s=19

2 Likes

What if the indigenous couple had no network, family or mates to fall back on, that he saw the partner as the problem to be separated from, that he should be living as a single man, billeted with non indigenous?

1 Like

Whereas l have little doubt that he is.

5 Likes

If people are so obsessed with winning, eventually they will go above and beyond what is allowed. Even if it means destroying people in the process.

Did Clarkson not understand the message from Cool Runnings?

7 Likes

I mean for clarko to be not racist. All itā€™s gonna take is for a white guy to say he and his mrs got forced into an abortive. Should be easy considering the demographics of hawks right?

That would not help his situation very much, methinksā€¦

3 Likes

Wouldnā€™t be a racist.

No, it wouldnā€™t prove he is not a racist, it would prove that he is an equal opportunity bigot, in other words pathological.

In the context of accomodating pregnancies and motherhood in the AFLW, I read somewhere that the indigenous players tend to have children at a much earlier age than the others.
If that translates to fatherhood in male indigenous players, the demands on their off field lives could be greater than those for non indigenous, although early fatherhood wouldnā€™t prevent them playing.
I wonder how many others on the Hawks list at the time were prospective fathers during the season.
Currently, the average age in Australia for a first pregnancy is 31yo.

3 Likes

Frying pan, fire

My actions were for the best intentions, I did it for their own good, they needed to be separated.

1 Like

I also love how James Hird was making it all about himself (despite never saying ANYTHING publicly!), meanwhile noone in the media has spared a thought for the actual alleged victims in all of this.

9 Likes

But Hird couldnā€™t keep his missus under control. The reaction when she went public.

7 Likes