Clakko & Co: family destruction allegations

The Age:

Asked whether there might have been cultural insensitivity towards the complainants, Burt said: “It’s more about the way they [players and partners] felt. I don’t think there was any willing intent to be culturally insensitive at our football club, but I have to acknowledge that the way people felt, with what was said, could have been.”

There you have it: it’s not what I said it’s how it was taken. Victim blaming 101.

11 Likes

If only this could be fixed up the traditional way… by Gil and his cronies blaming all this on Essendon…

3 Likes

AFL news 2023: Details of proposed deal hope to end Hawthorn racism probe | Herald Sun

Lawyers for the First Nations families at the centre of the Hawthorn racism scandal have recommended a settlement to the AFL which if agreed to could end the long-running and damaging saga.

But while there are hopes a solution can be reached within days, a source told the Herald Sun on Friday that some of the First Nations families are not comfortable with every aspect of the proposal.

It’s understood a telemeeting is planned for Friday night between lawyers and the First Nations families to discuss their concerns.

The proposal asks that Hawthorn and the AFL give a “generic apology’’ to the families, but does not ask for apologies from Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Jason Burt.

Sources said the proposal also includes a non-disparagement clause and that the families involved would still strive to have a “truth-telling’’ exercise involving all parties.

The source said the saga would end if the AFL apologised.

But conflict remains as some of the First Nations families also want an apology from Clarkson, Fagan and Burt, the source said.

Clarkson, Fagan and Burt have denied all wrongdoing.

Alastair Clarkson and Chris Fagan at Hawthorn in 2014. Picture: AFL Media

Alastair Clarkson and Chris Fagan at Hawthorn in 2014. Picture: AFL Media

They are also baulking at a proposal which would require the First Nations families to apply to any compensation fund that would be set up by the AFL.

It’s also believed the families will have a second meeting with their support people on Saturday, which includes former Richmond player Michael Mitchell.

“While it appears a deal is imminent, it could evaporate quickly upon reflection from the families,’’ the source said.

The AFL has been working around the clock to broker a deal in the long-running saga after the four-person investigation panel it established last October reached an impasse.

League boss Gillon McLachlan says the participants in the First Nations inquiry have been put in a “totally unjust and difficult situation”.

Asked on Friday about speculation that a deal could be brokered within 48 hours, McLachlan replied: “There are a lot of people working very hard to try to get a resolution here, that’s all I can say”.

Alastair Clarkson stepped away from his role at North Melbourne last week. Picture: Getty Images

Alastair Clarkson stepped away from his role at North Melbourne last week. Picture: Getty Images

“From the moment this played out the way it did, when a report was leaked, it has been extraordinarily difficult for everyone involved. Complainants and defendants,’’ McLachlan said.

‘’It has been a totally unjust and difficult situation and it’s been going for a long time.

“Finding a way through this and a resolution is difficult and when it’s so public and caused so much pain it’s been one of the more difficult things for a lot of people to get through.”

McLachlan said he had spoken to Clarkson by text in a week where Hawthorn CEO Justin Reeves stepped down because of the pressure of the investigation.

There are still two First Nations families who refused to participate in the AFL’s investigation, one of whom has made clear they will take legal action in coming months.

But McLachlan made clear the public naming of Clarkson, Fagan and Hawks staffer Burt had made a difficult investigation almost impossible at times.

“It’s really exacting and difficult,” he said.

2 Likes

‘It’s a very legal case’

1 Like

Imagine 3 grown men accompanying you to help you dump your girlfriend when you’re 18-20 years old?

It’s too difficult to compute.

There’s no way this is an appropriate way for club officials to behave regardless of the details in the situation. Highly intimidating and would have lead to significant levels of stress for the female.

14 Likes

Burt’s stance seeks to exonerate him from any blame.

1 Like

‘I’m sorry you feel that way’ - Burt

4 Likes

AFL wants it done

Resoultion there is AFL apology to player and AFL compensates them via the fund set up, but each aggrieved party needing to apply - I guess with different levels of pain& suffering

Will they go for that or still want Clarko and co held to account?

1 Like

Why would they be compensated if all allegations are denied? What would afl and hawthorn be saying sorry for if all allegations are denied?
We are sorry that some people didn’t do what you falsely allege - here have some money.

Doesn’t make sense.

8 Likes

Thats why youre syruggling to comprehend this. The assumption thw afl manipulates response will make sense.

Melbourne didnt tank but we’ll fine them anyway

4 Likes

I wouldnt think lawyers would recommend taking the deal. They can apply for compensation.

I’d want to know my compensation before i accept a deal

1 Like

Maybe, but this does: “We are sorry that some people didn’t do what you falsely allege - here have some money. But only if you sign this nondisclosure agreement and go away”.

9 Likes

Don’t know if this will happen, can imagine there would be distrust of the legal/court systems also, hopefully it does happen.

Apart from his denial of the first accusation, which he didn’t say he wasn’t there. He just said I didn’t hear it. How convenient.

He has basically admitted the players side of the story. Then oh but it wasn’t meant that way.

No wonder they wouldn’t go to mediation. And no wonder why Clakko has gone into hiding after this article.

It’s put them.in more hot water than they were

7 Likes

wowee, look at the mental gymnastics going on here

“no way Cyril could hate this club, his wife has just gotten into his head about it”

11 Likes

I hate what Hawthorn has become. But I love them. But I’ll never step foot in the club again.

And to finish my rebuttal of all the accusations:
“I can honestly say the people involved in this investigation - and the families, … left better people, … for being at Hawthorn.”

So the people involved say they’ve been broken. One of them has attempted suicide several times, but they left better people for being at Hawthorn?

This is a blatantly false, and staggeringly insensitive comment.

12 Likes

And he is/was a frickin’ welfare manager!!! How can he therefore think that’s irrelevant?

7 Likes

Think you’ve posted that in the wrong thread @Jaymin :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Of course it makes no sense. Classic AFL.

You will recall Melbourne didn’t tank but a number of their employees, including the coach, were sanctioned. Only one example of many.

It’s a shame that the Welfare Officer was unaware of the programs of the Women’s Hospital for unplanned pregnancies and the special programs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women in particular (The Children’s also has a special program) .
There are direct lines, including in cooperation with Victorian Health, for women to discuss options in a non judgmental way, resources to consult on options and support available. The site makes the point that ultimately, the woman is the best person to make the decision (and that not all unplanned pregnancies are unwanted).
As around 40% of pregnancies are unplanned, welfare officers at clubs should be alert to such situations in regard to players and their partners and in that context , to have some awareness of cultural sensitivities.
Perhaps the AFL could set up its own Voice.

2 Likes