Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

I’ll just leave this here:

Probably a good idea.
It’s from a well known, and totally discredited denialist stronghold.
It doesn’t really deserve to be pushed any further.

I don’t know why you bother posting in here.
You have absolutely no desire to learn anything.
All you ever do is pop up with crap like these guys, and that last doozy you delivered,.

3 Likes

I lasted two minutes.
Fantastic production values aside, the guy doesn’t realise a rolling comparison to the average is going to affect a graph over time.
I’m guessing his mum, who he undoubtedly still lives with, cuts up his dinner for him.

2 Likes

They all laughed at me when I went reverse cycle on the ducted heat pump back in 98, why do you need air con in Tassie, guess who is laughing now, well cool!

4 Likes

No smoke in Launceston, I had a few Train drivers heading to the shacks at Great lakes to rescue possessions, considering its in the midlands, thought we would be getting some smoke or haze here by now, air quality good, heat off the charts though.

I did go out to the bike shed yesterday ( which I do not normally do as trying to stop )for a cigarette and someone had thrown their lit cig in the trough which was smoking like an 18 year old American Indian, It was sparking and flaring with all the other butts, couldn’t believe it with all the long dry grass around the building.

Went inside grabbed a jug of water and did my smokey the bear thing, please be careful everyone!

So your argument is based on a rise of 0.5C in the last 120 years used the electronic sensors with a 1 second sampling period as opposed to the old 10 minutes required by mercury thermometers.

I thought the devastating rise in CO2 levels was going to result it the planet cooking.

Ignoring the change in equipment, the homogenisation of data and outright fraud the CO2 content in 1896 was around 300ppm and now it is 410ppm, a rise of 37% for 0.5C.

The same applies to Melbourne, Black Thursday 1851, temperature 47C, CO2 less than 290ppm.
Black Saturday 2009, temperature 46.4C, CO2 390ppm.

158 years later and just coming out of the Little Ice Age 1300-1850 AD, virtually the same temperature with 35% more planet destroying CO2.

Result, bugger all diference.

1 Like

So, just for those people who couldn’t be bothered looking it up, I mean not that one summer in one place 120 years ago is indicative of climate, but regardless, temperature testing wasn’t standardised until 1910 and those 189whatever readings are considered decidedly dodgy.
Thermometers were kept against stone walls, or low to the ground, or in direct sunlight, or infuckingside.

So…there’s that.

On the plus side, there weren’t any ice cream trucks to park next to the thermometers in an attempt to somehow raise the temperature to a record level, but not so much that it would give a completely stupid reading, or to be so wrong that people would, you know, notice the hell out of it immediately.
Which is a thing that apparently happens often these days.

2 Likes

Back in the day Russia used to have a vodka allowance when the temperature dropped below a certain level. For some unknown reason the temp records show that it was colder during this period.

2 Likes

Has been answered before, and you’ve utterly ignored it. Do better. In short, do you not understand that sensors are not just used for AGW science? that these are the sensors that give weather reports etc? If the changeover to electronic sensors suddenly led to massive inconsistencies in weather data, don’t you think farmers, sailors, fishermen, firefighters, and people running temperature-sensitive chemical processes or lab equipment might have NOTICED by now?

See below re your ‘0.5C’ myth.

Ok, a lot of bullshit in this sentence, I’m going to have to address it piece by piece.

If there was not homogenisation and standardisation of data, you’d be shrieking about not comparing apples with apples. Homogenisation of data is absolutely necessary if you’re going to compare data from one place to that at another place.

Your allegations of fraud are (assuming they’re the ones that have been repeatedly addressed in this thread, not that you bother reading) proven lies.

You falsely assume that temperature increases linearly and simultaneously as atmospheric CO2 increases. This is as stupid as turning the heating up from 1 to 5 in your house, then complaining that the temperature hasn’t increased fivefold immediately.

And finally, the global average temperature has increased more like 1.5 degrees since 1896, not 0.5 degrees as you claim. I suspect that you are clinging mindlessly to a ‘temperatures now are 0.5 degrees above average’ number you’ve heard somewhere, without considering that a) 1896 was actually considerably colder than the long term average as that was when the little ice age was still in full swing before AGW blotted it out, and b) you’re probably using numbers from the early 2000s rather than up to date figures as deniers tend to do, because more recent figures make itn much clearer that the earth is in an unprecedentedly severe and rapid warming situation.

Now run the same exercise with temperatures in the Arctic, where winters now hit 20(!) degrees hotter than the long term average.

Global warming, remember. Global. The impact of GLOBAL warming is not uniform across the globe.

False.

The little ice age involved a global average temperature drop of about 0.5 degrees, and it took natural processes around 500 years for that to happen. Since around 1900, with mass industrialisation and the large-scale burning of fossil fuels on a massive scale causing a greenhouse-driven warming, global average temperatures have risen nearly 1.5 degrees. So that’s a rate of temperature change approximately 15 times as fast as the cooling that led to the little ice age.

4 Likes

http://www.co2science.org/articles/V6/N26/EDIT.php

It’s a bit like arguing with a smoker who says they will be fine. Yeah tomorrow maybe, but you keep pumping poison in your system and something bad is bound to happen.

You don’t strip the land and belch out gasses buried deep for a very long time and not expect it is going to have an impact on the environment at some stage. You keep smoking like a chimney and your lungs are going to go bad, you keep belching gasses into the environment and the worlds lungs are going to go bad.

3 Likes

Nowadays if they want the vodka allowance, they’ll need to introduce vodka flavoured ice cream.

Lol. Seriously Lord Monckton, give it a rest. Now you roll out the denialist group funded by Exxon Mobil.

2 Likes

Exxon should ask for their money back until they upgrade their site from 2003.

1 Like

I think that’s around about the time they got caught red-handed funding all this stuff, despite their idealistic press releases about being committed to taking climate change seriously.

I think at that point they cut this mob off. And probably started funding others of Bomber1408’s ever-so-credible sources instead.

1 Like

Lord Mockton here.

Guys I am enjoying tbe discourse, but really my motivation is to hear words / learn the actual arguments against the points made in the links posted by myself and others.

As a novist in the hows and whys of climate change, you guys are clearly very intelligent, so how about less attacks on authors, their apparent funding source or attacks on posters that disagree. How about attacking the information and why the content of some articles are incorrect. Attack the content guys, not the delivery man.

By the way on multiple occassions posters in here have stated 97% of scientists agree that climate change is directly caused by man and that there is no doubt in this, the science is done & dusted.

My questions to you re the 97 % are:

1. Is that all scientists or just climate scientists or just a group of people at a climate change conference ?
  2. What is the source of this statement and what was the questions that were asked?
1 Like

How about you discuss what people have posted in reply to you here instead?

We might have a bit more time for you then.

4 Likes

Read a book call merchants of doubt, a huge chunk of the driving figureheads in the smoking doesn’t give you cancer mob all now work for oil companies on CC.

This explains it pretty well, and was actually put together by some post docs my wife taught.

1 Like