Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

I mean just like a few dandelions or something, not like a bee hive, just somewhere to collect pollen.

Cool. Fair enough, I just had visions of the “Attack of the Bees” or something. lol.

Apparently they have one (some?) in Fed Square.

There were plans to do that on the roof of one of our hospitals, but it got shut down due to fears that are pretty well expressed above.

That’s it, we’ve pointed out how the nemwatch actually works to him before, yet he still keeps posting data from here.

If you are going to quote from Hitch-hikers then maybe you should read it.

Golgafrinchan Ark B was the ship they put useless turds like you on to get rid of once they crashed it, and the captain ran it from his bath.

Universities have never operated like that. They always started with a hypothesis, as the starting point for further investigate and then to try and prove it. Guess your University only had a sand-pit.

You will never be able to build enough renewable generation to ensure a constant supply of electricity.

It is a pipe dream.

If you think it can be done give me some figures on the number and cost of each type.

1 Like

Been there, done that.

I urge you to try it, and soon.

Morrison might need more funded empathy to buy off the Pacific Islands if he does not want them to go deeper into Chinese economic dependency

You wouldn’t read it if we did, much less understand the graphs.

I will, and you can’t give the figures because it is too much for you to comprehend.
Here is a start, one wind turbine, 760 tons of steel, 900 tons of concrete, individual power lines at $1,000,000 per kilometre plus access roads.

In that little study I used Newwatch figures but I have been assured they are incorrect.
Please give me your sources of information on Australian power output so I can repeat my study using your figures.

Waiting in eager anticipation. but I am not too hopeful.

1 Like

Notice how sorf always tries to avoid talking about climate change in the climate change thread? The libs pulled the same tactic in recent years, trying to make the energy debate purely about energy costs without addressing the elephant in the room.

“What are you doing about climate change, minister?”
“We’re committed to lowering the costs of energy for all Australians”

The unavoidable truth is that decarbonisation of the global economy is necessary. Doesn’t matter if it’s expensive or inconvenient. The alternative is unthinkable. Whining about the cost of renewables now is like quibbling over the pricetag of Spitfires in 1940.

You cannot put a pricetag on failure to address the man-made climate disaster. You cannot put a pricetag on breakdown of the ecosystem that supports the industrial agriculture that currently feeds humanity. You cannot put a pricetag on half a billion climate refugees. You cannot put a pricetag on the inundation of places like Shanghai, New York, Miami, Venice, Jakarta, and basically all of Bangladesh. You cannot put a pricetag on half of northern india and china running out of water on a regular basis as the monsoon comes late.

You don’t get to to whine about costs on one side of the ledger while ignoring the other. Some things are imperative. Man-made climate change must be addressed and addressed very soon or we will face what looks uncomfortably like civilisation-ending conditions within a century.

13 Likes

1: Notice how sorf always tries to avoid talking about climate change in the climate change thread?
The climate as changed every day for the last 4,500,000,000 years. The only question is what causes it, 12,000 years ago we where in a full blown Ice Age then the temperature soared in a very short period to levels way above todays, After 1500 years it plummeted to below todays temperature been suddenly rose 8000 years ago to well above todays temperature since when it has been in slow decline.
With the exception of the Little Ice Age which ended in the late 18th century it is colder today than the last 8000 years.
We didn’t cause the fluctuations.

2: The libs pulled the same tactic in recent years, trying to make the energy debate purely about energy costs without addressing the elephant in the room.
Hazelwood closed down and the price of electricity doubled in 2 years and has increased the the chances of blackouts.

3: “What are you doing about climate change, minister?”
“We’re committed to lowering the costs of energy for all Australians”
At least someone is thinking about the poor, the unemployed, the pensioners and those on fixed incomes.
By the way, the opportunistic hypocritical Labor Party are also whining about the cost of power when it was they who forced it up.
Remember Julia Gillard when she announced the Carbon Tax.
If we raise the price of electricity people will use less and lower the emissions.

4: The unavoidable truth is that decarbonisation of the global economy is necessary.
Tell that to the Indians and the Chinese and to victims of Energiewende where hundreds of thousands have had their power cut off.

Due to rising prices, more and more Germans can not pay their electricity bills. Exactly 351,802 household customers in primary care were temporarily disconnected in 2014, the Bundesnetzagentur (BNetzA) and the Bundeskartellamt report in their new monitoring report. The paper will be adopted on Wednesday in the cabinet, it is SPIEGEL ONLINE before in excerpts.

The number of power locks has thus increased to the highest ever measured. In 2013, 344,798 barriers were imposed, compared to around 320,000 in 2012.

Even more households have problems with their electricity bills. According to the Federal Network Agency suppliers threatened their customers a total of 6.3 million times to cut the power.

Electricity suppliers can stop their deliveries if invoices are not paid for a long time, despite dunning procedures. A power lock may also be imposed if a household disregards safety regulations or electricity passes the counter.

5: The unavoidable truth is that decarbonisation of the global economy is necessary. Doesn’t matter if it’s expensive or inconvenient. The alternative is unthinkable. Whining about the cost of renewables now is like quibbling over the pricetag of Spitfires in 1940.

You left out disastrous for the economy which keeps you employed and why are you spending time writing on this blog when you should be outside 15 Coronation Drive, Yarralumla protesting the massive expansion of coal by the Chinese.
Sorry, we all know the answer to that.

6: You cannot put a pricetag on failure to address the man-made climate disaster. You cannot put a pricetag on breakdown of the ecosystem that supports the industrial agriculture that currently feeds humanity.

American crops are down this year due to two factors, firstly the ground hadn’t thawed in time to sow the seeds and floods in the Mid West, and don’t claim flooding in that region is unnatural, they have built levies on the Mississippi for 100 years

Another one of those side effects of the planet warming) and flooding,.
Are you suggesting floods only start in the last 70 years.

You cannot put a pricetag on the inundation of places like Shanghai, flooded in 1931 when CO2 level was 280ppm.
New York, knee deep water after a rainstorm does not count as flooding.
Miami is built on a sand spit ad gets hurricanes.
Venice sinking because of the removal of groundwater.
Jakarta, another city that sinking causing flooding
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44636934
Basically all of Bangladesh.
Bangladesh is on a river delta of 3 major rivers including the Ganges, half of it is swamp andmost of it is less than 12 metres above sea level, of course it’s going to flood.

You cannot put a price tag on half of northern India and China running out of water on a regular basis as the monsoon comes late.
How often does the monsoon comes late, weather isn’t a constant and nothing conforms to averages.

7: You don’t get to to whine about costs on one side of the ledger while ignoring the other. Some things are imperative. Man-made climate change must be addressed and addressed very soon or we will face what looks uncomfortably like civilisation-ending conditions within a century.
End of the century? which one? i can remember them forecasting 2000, the the end of this century, 2004, 2005, 2014, 2030, 2035, 12 years and who knows maybe next Tuesday afternoon.
It’s very hard to keep up with the doomsayers as they vie for relevance (and grant money)

1 Like

1 Like

Jesus, you literally never read a thing anyone ever posts in this thread do you CV?

1 Like

My favourite is always the money angle, like it leans toward pushing climate change.

If you want to make real money as a climate scientist offer yourself to a well funded denialist think tank or the coal lobby etc, charge top dollar as a very very scarce resource, have a great 5 years leveraging your academic credentials and experience, retire wealthy, then publish a book titled “Sorry, not sorry: I wanted to buy Greenland and had to outbid the US.”

1 Like

You claim my data on power generation is wrong.

Still waiting for your sources of data to contradict mine which I would love to use.

You do have sources of data to contradict mine don’t you?

Although I strongly suspect your sources start with the phrase “Once upon a time”

1 Like

Guess which side gets $5 billion in subsidies .

1 Like

Read it and answered it.
Which is more than you ever do.

1 Like

Which says what in relation to my suggestion? Kind of lends weight to the idea that you don’t read these posts, or at least don’t read them in good faith.

Both sides have more money than god. One side is having to split that cash among many climate scientists. The other not so much. It’s pretty simple mathematics.

If the plan is to retire and buy a private island within 5 years then pushing “climate change is a real problem” is not the right choice. It is more of a steady middle class job retire when you are 65 kind of thing.

Sorf’s favourite trick is only talking about one side of the equation. Fossil fuels get around $30 billion a year of subsidies in Australia alone, forget about the measly $5b that renewables get. And that’s not including the implicit subsidy they get by being allowed to pollute without having to pay for cleanup or consequences.

2 Likes