Climate Change in Australia (Part 2)

I hear you and agree that we’re creating a massive white elephant. I think electrification is too far gone, in Victoria anyway. Lily d’ambrosio is the main driver, whilst apparently Tim Pallas is an advocate for hydrogen use in Victoria.

My concern is that we’ll keep pushing electrification and if a viable hydrogen appliance/vehicle technology becomes commercially viable we won’t be able to play catch up.

Everyone says heat pumps are the answer, and short term they’re probably right, but what are the leakage stats for refrigerants right now and what is the global warming impact of that? I know the push is on for low GWP gases, but there’s still a lot of high GWP gases in bottom end heat pumps everywhere.

Doesn’t the Hydrogen infrastructure need beefing up as it doesn’t compress anywhere near as well as what we use now?

In addition isn’t it also not as efficient with regards to a heat source for cooking / heating?

It isn’t as efficient, but it is something you can run during the solar duck curve. That means you can make hydrogen when electricity prices are currently negative.

Correct about transmission, it’s an absolute ■■■■■ to compress. Trick is to generate the hydrogen in the lower pressure suburban distribution.

1 Like

Premier Peter Malinauskas to make third overseas trip as leader to Rotterdam for World Hydrogen Summit

Premier Peter Malinauskas will visit Germany and the Netherlands in his third overseas trip as leader.

South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas has outlined how the state can capitalise on the challenges of decarbonisation. He outlined his plan for the $593 million hydrogen plant promised in the lead-up to last year’s state election.

Premier Peter Malinauskas will make his third overseas trip as leader to pitch his $600m hydrogen jobs plan at a Dutch industry summit and visit Germany – a global kingpin in the renewable fuel.

He will deliver a keynote address to the World Hydrogen Summit & Exhibition, touted as “the leading global platform where hydrogen business gets done” and expected to attract 8000 attendees in Rotterdam from May 9-11.

The four-night trip also will include an address to the World Energy Storage Exhibition & Forum, also in Rotterdam.

The trip’s German leg is likely to include meetings in Berlin with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz’s hydrogen adviser and other key government officials.

In an interview with The Advertiser, Mr Malinauskas said major bidders in the planned $596m hydrogen power plant near Whyalla would be at the Rotterdam summit but he would not be meeting them for probity reasons, while the contract was being assessed.

“But what I do want everyone to understand is that as far as investment is concerned, what we’re doing around the hydrogen jobs plan, what we’re doing about the hydrogen hub at Port Bonython, what we’re doing around the proposed Hydrogen Act, is going to make the state the place to invest in hydrogen globally,” he said.

Mr Malinauskas referenced hydrogen patent data in the past decade, showing 28 per cent had been produced by the EU (of which Germany was the biggest player) and 31 per cent by Japan and South Korea.

Mr Malinauskas’s previous overseas trips since being installed as Premier last year were in March to visit the United Kingdom’s nuclear-propelled submarine construction yard and to pursue hydrogen markets and investments in Japan and South Korea last October.

The Liberal Opposition has attacked Mr Malinauskas and his ministers for “picking five-star hotels where more reasonable accommodation is easily available” in a sustained assault on government travel costs.

In a key economic speech on March 29, Mr Malinauskas revealed a Hydrogen Act to be introduced to parliament mid-year would allow big global firms to “participate in grabbing land”with high-quality wind and solar energy potential.

He said investors wanted to plough billions of dollars into green hydrogen developments and needed land access for renewable-energy projects to power industrial-scale electrolysers.

The legislation is understood to allow for fair and equitable acquisition of pastoral land, in particular, suitable for wind and solar energy projects.

Addressing a London breakfast meeting during his second overseas trip as leader in mid-March, Mr Malinauskas revealed more than 60 applicants had responded to the procurement process for the state’s planned $596m hydrogen power plant near Whyalla.

He said the plan involved building the world’s largest hydrogen electrolyser and then using that to generate electricity, most likely through a combined cycle gas turbine or, possibly, fuel-cell technology.

I wish adelaide would stop asking me to pay to read news about it

Some people are venal and wish to be rich. Some are more altruistic and wish for world peace. Drapersmullet has an impossible wish.

Need those higher capacity batteries asap.

Need to start composting billionaires and harvesting the resulting methane for power generation, asap.

5 Likes

The early warning signs are there if you run a business or maybe even a country that ignores its contributions toward pollution.

1 Like

3 Likes

A lot of articles on Arctic and Antarctic ice draws on the research of fram forum whose site has some good articles (a recent one on mapping white spaces is worth a read). Fram Forum contributes research to the IPPC.

framforum.com

1 Like

This is interesting, when you click on Australia. India and China are still increasing GhGE.

Are countries on track to meet their climate pledges?

Greenhouse gas emissions by country in megatonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent

Go to article and click on the country tab.

Both those links are so depressing. We are beyond ■■■■■■.

2 Likes

100%

in 10 years it will be, “remember when all we had to complain about was cost of living?”

3 Likes

Don’t you mean when we were busy discussing transgender people in sports.

No, i’m talking about actual issues.

4 Likes

Are you following the negotiations on a UNESCO treaty on reducing plastics in Oceans?

This was never going to happen as everything is based on a technology that is not capable of scaling to meet targets.