Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

Everyone’s an idiot except you three.

1 Like

Good ol’ black and white thinking. Plenty of it around here. Particularly as soon as climate change becomes politicised instead of discussed from the point of view of science.

3 Likes

What’s your problem HowManyGoaliar?

1 Like

Lol. It’s a dead give away when you get accused of being a Leftard or a Leftie Marxist greenie or Labor voter and the last ten polls you’ve turned up to you haven’t really liked any option. You never seem to hear the people accusing you of all these things having the same dilemma though…

1 Like

Maybe you should change your user name to HowManyCoal to throw them off the scent??

5 Likes

Would HowManyCoaliar be just too obscure?

So I am in China at a mining conference held at a Research Centre owned by China Petroleum. An incredible place that makes the convention centre in Melbourne look like a slum.

One thousand delegates and they are right into coal, but the clean variety of course. Spoke with the Head of a major university who told me that they accept 3000 undergraduates each year in mining engineering from 38 million applicants!!!

Have you mentioned “coal is dead”?

Kidding

May I suggest a new avatar?

4 Likes

Of course!

Would not want benfti to think bad of me.

But the Chinese just smiled and reminded me that us Australians, exist only because of coal and that we are the biggest polluters on earth

2 Likes

He’s not going to take a bite out of it, is he? You know, like a raw, unpeeled onion?

I believe it’s part of his ‘return to surplus’ plan.
Someone told him if you put this stuff under enough pressure it becomes diamonds.
So he’s sending it to one of or gulags and hoping for the best.
If that fails he’ll probably issue it with a dodgy centrelink debt and see how that goes.

I posted about this in the science thread. The hundred sold is a deposit only. It would work in theory but they can’t get it working in reality yet.

Same with fusion. Fusion at the moment operates for about a minute tops, and then they don’t even know how to make electricity from it yet.

This technology isn’t far off clean coal at the moment.

“You crazy lump of coal. I don’t know whether to issue with a Centrelink debt or grant you a 1 billion dollar loan.”

2 Likes

Well, all depends on what the definition of ‘clean’ is. Too often it’s used as ‘marginally improved emissions levels compared to burning brown coal at Hazelwood, but still not even approaching a point that’ll actually have an impact on averting AGW, but we’ll call it clean anyway because we want to pretend it’s environmentally sustainable so we can keep selling coal’

I have no faith at all in any sort of carbon sequestration. I was involved in research in the field at CSIRO back in the day. It’s hugely energy-intensive, unreliable, limited, and has potential for cataclysmic failures involving massive fatalities. They’ve been researching it since the early 90s and it still isn’t used meaningfully anywhere, the technical problems are just too great. It’s a dead end.

What coal needs is Space Chimneys,… you know,… like the Space Elevator.

That’s about as likely as any other clean coal scenario.

Might get some decent investment into using graphene for engineering structures.

Just out of interest…would that work?
Disregarding the practicality of building it and the cost and so on, I mean the physics of the smoke…
Would it disperse into space?
Would it form another layer around the atmosphere?
Would it not go out the top for some reason and feedback and choke everyone?

It’d be too heavy to make it into space on it’s own. Despite it being colourless, odorless and plant food.

4 Likes

I’ve thought about it for a few years now, & In theory, I think it would. It would just have to extend far enough so as to get dispersed beyond our atmosphere.

Given that they think the space elevator is theoretically viable,… and wouldn’t fly off due to centrifugal force generated by planet rotation, … it would be just as feasible you’d expect.

1 Like