Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

Some kind of graphene synthesis would be cool.

1 Like

Yep. The ultimate would be processing it straight into some sort of Carbon fibre, and bottled O2 for Hospital use etc, to offset the cost of the process.

Whole thing = Humunga PROFIT!!!

The Ferengiā€™s would find a way with such an intense motivation.

1 Like

Funnily enough if the the old fossils who run oil and coal developed something like this they could make a killing from that _and_have a need to produce CO2 as a raw material. Admittedly, theyā€™d have to mop up a fair bit of the current surplus first.

Good post!
And wow. I didnā€™t think there was another person on Blitz who knows about N-rays!

Complete combustion of carbon:

2C8H18 + 25O2 = 8CO2 + 9H2O

The water is recovered and used, and the CO2 is converted into various carboxylate acids. That is one concept.

All they have to do is make it work and find markets and use for the large amounts of carboxylic acids produced. Simple enough as Coca Cola is most a carboxylic acid. Drink more coke !

And remove every other element in the process which would also be quite energy intensive.

Or convert the C into its diamond form.

1 Like

Capitalism today, complete disarray tomorrow.

When all the ice caps melts, 4/5 Australianā€™s will need to relocate. But Iā€™m sure the capitalists will find a dollar to be made out of this.

Over the weekend my 6 year-old daughter asked why we keep burning fossils instead of putting them in the museum, because she likes dinosaurs.

3 Likes

Inland sea!
The early explorers were right! Kind of.

Getting to Adelaide is gonna be a pain.

Red sandy beaches for your next tropical holiday getaway!

The large peninsula at the southern end of the inland sea would probably have a great climate.

It would probably be shorts and thongs all year round everywhere by that stage Iā€™m afraid.

As a palaeontology nerd, I have to admit sheā€™s got a point. Some of the best fossils ever have come out of coal or similar. The Bernissart iguanadons for instance. The more recent nodosaur mummy from Alberta came from oil sands.

It makes me sad to think about all the fossils that have been dredged up and burnt without anyone knowing they were even there. Especially these days when itā€™s all done with machinery so miners are less likely to notice and stop if something interesting turns up in the rock.

Fantastic. It wonā€™t take me 5 mins to walk to the water anymore, ā€¦ should be absolute Beachfront.

How long till this happens? (Just curious)

Taking the kids to the Great Barrier reef during school holidays. Found myself saying " while itā€™s still there." HowManyGoal incredibly sad that we arenā€™t doing all we can to protect such a natural wonder.

You say that like itā€™s a bad thing.

2 Likes

Hopefully you warmists are factoring in repairs (not just these ones) into your dubious projections:
Solar hot water panels have fallen victim to this weekendā€™s cold snap, bursting, splitting and leaving home owners with plumbing bills in the thousands.

Plumbers say they have struggled to keep up with unprecedented demand for help as temperatures plummeted. One plumber in Melbourneā€™s west said he had attended eight jobs over the weekend.

Play
Unmute
Current Time 0:09
/
Duration Time 0:30
Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%

Fullscreen
Play Video
MORE NATIONAL NEWS VIDEOSPrevious slide Next slide
null
Cold front timelapse from space
null
Video duration
02:59
Busting myths about domestic violence ā€¦
null
Video duration
01:49
Millions rorted from government R&D scheme
null
Video duration
01:36
Man stabbed in Brunswick road rage attack
null
Video duration
00:42
Deal may save Hayfield timber mill
null
Video duration
00:37
Elderly woman dies after being hit by car
null
Video duration
00:41
Ted Baillieu to head probe into flammable ā€¦
null
Video duration
01:28
Man shot after altercation in Coburg motel
MORE VIDEOS
Cold front timelapse from space
A satellite captures a massive cold front spilling across southern Australia between 10-12 July 2015. Vision: Japan Meteorological Agency.
Sub-zero temperatures were reported around Melbourne on Sunday, including minus 5.3 degrees at Coldstream, near Lilydale, and minus 2.5 degrees at Viewbank.

The cold snap caused water in panels to freeze and expand, resulting in snapped and split panels and broken frost valves.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE
SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET
LINK

A burst solar panel in Lilydale after a frosty weekend in which temperature dropped to minus 5 degrees.
A burst solar panel in Lilydale after a frosty weekend in which temperature dropped to minus 5 degrees. Photo: John Willis
John Willis from John Willis Plumbing in Lilydale, where temperatures were also below zero, said he had seen several broken solar panels over the weekend and that quality varied among manufacturers.

"There are various manufacturers of them, and some of them arenā€™t really up to the job of the frost.

Advertisement

"The lady I went to yesterday tried to get in contact with the people that had put the system in for her and they were deregistered and had gone out of business.

AM & PM UPDATE NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and updates emailed straight to your inbox.

Enter your email address
By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Mediaā€™s terms and conditions and privacy policy .
ā€œThere were two panels on the roof and both had split with the frost.ā€

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE
SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET
LINK

A woman walks her dog in Keilor during the weekend chill.
A woman walks her dog in Keilor during the weekend chill. Photo: Luis Ascui
Scott Edwards from S.A. Edwards Plumbing in Eltham said he couldnā€™t keep up with demand over the weekend.

ā€œIā€™ve just left one job and Iā€™m going to another now. This generally doesnā€™t happen every winter, just when we get bad frost like over the weekend.ā€

Mr Edwards said quality solar panels with a glycol antifreeze system were generally more durable than cheaper models favoured by builders.

ā€œThere definitely has been one lot of units that Iā€™ve done more of than others. Generally the ones that are bursting more often than not are the base model that builders put in.ā€

Simon Marchione from All Sorted Plumbing in Keilor Downs said he had been to eight solar panel jobs over the weekend and that split panels could cost up to $2500 to replace.

ā€œIā€™ve never seen anything like this,ā€ he said.

ā€œThereā€™s a device on solar panels called frost valves. They allow a bit of expansion in the panel itself by allowing water to drip out of the panel. But weā€™ve seen panels with frost valves installed where itā€™s still happening.ā€

ā€œI donā€™t think itā€™s a quality issue. Itā€™s more or less I donā€™t think anybody expected for Melbourne to be so cold. They really arenā€™t made for our changing climate.ā€

Mr Marchione said damaged panels he had seen had caused no building damage and were only leaking water on roofs.

In 2008, the Rudd government offered $8000 rebates to households installing solar hot water power but scrapped the scheme due to soaring demand.

The rebate was part of of the Energy Efficient Homes Package, which also included a controversial home insulation program that resulted in the death of four workers.

I need to do the same very soon. Incredible to think that in my lifetime I could conceivably be saying ā€œyes, I saw the reef when it was alive. Amazing place. Huge. Millions of years of growth and evolution.ā€

1 Like

I went to the reef about three years ago, after having been there in the late 90ā€™s. I was shocked at how colourless and dead it looked on the most recent trip. Both trips were out of Cairns, so it was mostly in the same part of the reef.

But that Adani mob are paying us heaps, so itā€™s all cool.

4 Likes