Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

Come now, you can’t expect Trip to blame those foreign corporations that his mob flogged off our electricity to! They want to maximise profits by minimising maintenance costs, which is just fine in Tory World.

2 Likes

Bacchus, while I am not an expert in exactly when you require a building permit, I don’t believe you need one for adding insulation to an existing building (maybe it depends on the insulation like are you using concrete).

Building permits can be issued for your shire from any building surveyor in Victoria and your shire wouldn’t know about them until the private building surveyor lodges them with council (if they bother, more carrot there than stick).

Most Councils now only have one or two building surveyors and they are just there to do the filing except when the S hits the fan and then they are dragged out after a building collapses and they have to advise on what to do.

You would have needed a permit in a commercial/industrial premises as your Certificate of Occupancy would have had certain conditions like the number of people able to be in the building at one time/ the amount of toilets needed etc/building used for a place of assembly/building designed for light loads like an office and someone decides to use it to store materials on the second floor; that sort of thing needs to be checked out.

There is a conflict, private surveyor works for private builder who then uses private surveyor again if (s)he likes them and they don’t cause too much trouble. The system relies on not enough surveyors to actually need the work and to not have to please the builder too much. Our friend certainly Jeffed us when this was set up.

1 Like

Really? I mean really?

1 Like

And yet 80% of the cost increases have been attributed to Upgrades of the network, the Gold Plated poles & wires, … really?

Sounds like they’ve just increased prices to ream us for massive profit,… and just said it was all about upgrades.

But these nice honest corporations wouldn’t do that just to make heaps of money for themselves surely??

1 Like

Thank you for clearly highlighting the inadequacy of private enterprise.

1 Like

Gee youd all have to be happy that AGL is on track for a billion dollar profit this year…

Rap sheet of what has happened to our environmental policy and democracy

https://www.michaelwest.com.au/revolving-doors-how-the-fossil-fuel-lobby-has-governments-ensnared/

High peaks predicted in NSW and QLD this week. Mate on the inside has already whispered about them gearing up for some shutdowns and price gouging. Between $5000 and $12,000 / MWh. Deliberate Enron style rorting.

Adani has abandoned its March finance deadline but it’s definitely still going ahead. According to it. Also, in trouble for fraud in India again. Top work.

1 Like

Now that sounds like something we should be hitching out wagon too

3 Likes

Of course. It’s going to create 150 short term office jobs! Quick, build an airport!

1 Like

Temperatures in the Arctic right now are TWENTY DEGREES C above the long term average.

If you’re not legit scared about the future at this point, you’re a fool. This is cataclysmic stuff.

1 Like

‘The climate is always changing.”

Given how well groupthink of the masses is dealing with gun violence I don’t think we can rely on it to do anything about any subject that has been made controversial.

“warmist”

Found this article in the Colac Herald.

Major Colac company completes massive solar project

Colac’s Australian Lamb Company has completed a $2.4-million investment in solar energy, which is part of a long-term and environmentally focused strategy to deal with rising energy costs.

The meat processor’s chief financial officer Dale Smith said the massive system included 4400 solar panels, utilising all available roof space at the site, and generated 1.2 megawatts of electricity.

“It’s a major installation in terms of what’s been done on industrial sites; to put that in context there was a system of the same size installed at the University of Queensland and that was groundbreaking,” Mr Smith said.

But the 1.2 megawatts of electricity generated is only about a third of what the company uses, primarily because of the amount of refrigeration required in meat processing.

“You hear of people putting in solar and being able to put power back into the grid but we will be utilising all the energy we generate and it will be insufficient for our needs.

“But our energy costs had doubled last year and because we are an exporter that cost for our business goes straight to our bottom line; we can’t pass it on,” he said,
explaining the challenge of being competitive in an international market when energy was cheaper in other countries.

Mr Smith said the multi-million-dollar investment was a long-term strategy with a long-term payback but it was an environmental decision as well as dealing with rising costs.

He said there were other projects that would have paid for themselves quicker than the solar option but finding a solution was not just about the financial aspect.

ALC has also been able to maintain production throughout the solar installation, with 700 staff working across two shifts, five days a week at the Colac processing plant.

Meanwhile, ALC will join Australia’s other leading energy innovators at a Barwon New Energy Roundtable at Geelong on Wednesday.

Mr Smith said he would attend with ALC’s environmental manager Quirinus Onderwater who would make a presentation on the company’s energy plans and new solar project.

“It’s an opportunity to share a little bit about us and also to hear from other businesses about different projects and ideas to try to solve this common problem we have: rising energy costs,” he said.

The Roundtable will bring together about 200 renewable energy project advocates, technology providers, financiers and investors, local industry, community groups and other relevant stakeholders to identify projects, and promote new energy and energy efficiency opportunities, jobs and economic growth in the region.

======

We recently had a 6kw system installed and along with the electricity cost savings, according to the monitoring graphs, 150kg of co2 has been avoided.
I’m proud of it, but coming across that article gave me the feeling that my weapon wasn’t quite big enough.

2 Likes

Get ready for it. “No wonder lamb is so expensive these days”

Surely Quirinus Onderwater is a made-up name. Sounds like it was stolen from a Harry Potter story.

I thought it was when one of the seven hills of Rome got flooded.

There was a guy playing for the Knicks at the start of the season called Mindaugas Kuzminskas. I always thought that was a Harry Potter name

Either that or a Lithuanian one

1 Like