Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

So, how can you compare them if you don’t think there’s any data to compare them with?

You’re argument is effectively “pfft, this has all happened before. It’s just that we don’t have any detailed numbers about last time so… yeah.”

1 Like

I’ve come to realise his position is entirely political (though I think I knew this all along). There is no point in getting sciency with him because he is just not interested. Science is only relevant if it supports his politics, otherwise it is dismissed.

If the same scientists he is so scathing of came out tomorrow and said ‘we got it wrong on AGW’ he would be crowing.

So just another mindless political barracker in the end.

Yeah, no doubt. Objective reality is entirely secondary to undying defense of your team. I’m currently getting a bit of a laugh out of another “political barracker” who is in a bind trying to reconcile what his hero conservatives have done to the upper Murray Darling Basin whilst trying to maintain his ideals about supporting small local communities and farmers.

2 Likes

Never forget Ben the first sign of maturity is when you turn the volume ■■■■ to the left.

Another 100+MW solar farm starting construction in Victoria. Currently 4 of them set to be completed this year for around 1000MW in total. All 100% privately financed. Pretty easy to set ambitious renewables targets when it’s just going to happen without public cash anyway. The rate at which construction costs and generation prices are falling things are going to be very interesting over the next couple of years in terms of generation competition and how quickly the landscape shifts. Floodgates are now opening.

For the last 2 weeks I have been laid so I may have missed a few posts for which I apologise.
Since this theme began there has been constant criticism by more than a few of you of Jeff Kennett and the Liberal Party selling off the power structure to private interests.

In my deranged state over the last week I am sure that I saw on TV that the leader of the State Parlimentary Party Daniel Andrew MP announced the selling off of Victoria’s interest in the Snowny Mountains Scheme for $2 billion so he can redirect money to local (Western Suburbs) roads, the building of which has nothing to do with the upcoming elections.
If the critics of Kennett have done so, will they direct me to the same criticism of Andrews and the Labor Party.
I live in hope.

Is this the same Snowy Mountain Scheme the still has not made a profit & paid for the initial outlay, even after 60+ years? That sounds like an albatross weighing you down around your neck

In comparison to a wind farm they are building up here in FNQ at Mt Emerald that will pay for itself inside 9 years?

I thought all you Tories were into Return on Investment & what not. I was going to say I’m glad it’s not my money (but it is, it’s everyone’s) .

It’s a no-brainer to offload anything to do with the Snowy Mtn Scheme, might have been a fantastic nation building exercise, but that’s about it.

If someone came to me & said I have a great investment opportunity, but it’s going to take 60+ years to just get your money back, you would tell them to F.O. in no uncertain terms.

1 Like

Who’s a lucky boy then?

1 Like

Coal Plant’s doing great it seems.

2026 can’t come soon enough. I’d give it 5 years to be honest. Filthiest plant in the country. Increasing operational costs, insurance, finance.

I had been checking funeral notices, but seems you have survived again.

It always hurts me to agree with you or Wolf or Trip, but we had this debate in my Labor Branch. It actually started with the plan to sell the Titles office, and quickly became a tirade against the State selling any asset.

We have sent the Premier a terse note outlining our displeasure.

I was at a presentation last night that spoke bullishly about electric vehicles.

The interesting thing is that the presenter believes the outlook for electric vehicle take up is promising, but that they will be charging during the night for up to 6 hours, and that means baseload electricity through the night including from coal and I guess wind be needed…so reduced oil consumption, but coal continues (maybe even needs to rise?!)…displacing oil used in transportation will require large quantities of energy, so it would still be a major achievement to shift part of it to renewable sources…anyway, I found it interesting to consider.

If the Geneva Motor show which is on right now is anything to go by, we have hit water shed.

Every car company has either a hybrid or full electric vehicle on display over the last two days and only a third where concepts.

Gone are the days of the G-Wiz

Honda have the hipsters covered with this

Jag are in on the mix with this

Rimac have just put out their second car, it’s insane

1900HP

0 - 100 in 1.8 seconds
0 - 160 in 4.3 seconds
0 - 300 in 11.1 seconds

And it scored 648 kms range on the NEDC test.

And it looks like this

1 Like

That’s an extremely short term view. Fact as of right now Telsa sell model S and X packages which include solar battery recharge stations fitted to your home so your car literally is charged daily for free in under an hour as an 8k optional extra

0-300 in 11 seconds? That’ll come in handy on the Monash…

I hope those wheels light up Tron-style.

3 Likes

Didn’t Vic sell the Snowy share to the Feds? Not sure that’s the same as selling off state assets to corporate entities.

1 Like

Pretty sure is was a few months back where Musk was saying the next thing they’re working on is intergrating cells into the surface of the car to charge during the day too. Not ideal for parking in the shade. Everyone will be avoiding it!

Maybe except once a Federal Liberal Government owns it all then they can sell it on.

There are projects in the works already to have PV cells in paint, roof tiles, etc so houses and cars are constantly receiving charge wherever they are. Fantastic ideas, which will end up being driven by private business rather than government involvement.

Going to be interesting. Might get to the point where your car just charges while parked in the sun but shaded or closed in parking allows charging from the building or nearby buildings. Sunny spots and better storage areas will become premium in the city.