Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

All slated to fail.

In my view power generation is part of public infrastructure and should be Givernment owned and run. The costs to consumers will continue to rise and this private enterprise corrupt system has to change,

1 Like

I’m generating most of what I need, how corrupt is that? :grin:

2 Likes

You monster!

3 Likes

It’s not the best option, no. But it’s either progress the generation tech or just let the coal oligarchs screw us privately anyway while polluting.

1 Like

They should put solar panels on wind turbines. Double the energy generation.

You’re welcome.

5 Likes

Maybe use solar panels as the blades?

You’re welcome for the refinement.

1 Like

Now you’re getting complicated. Would they point to the sun like a sunflower or point at the wind? Maybe use an overly complicated algorithm to calculate the optimum output. 20 years later and skeptics will disprove the effectiveness of the algorithm.

1 Like

Instead of just blades and solar panels, the tower for the wind turbine could also be an exhaust vent for the coal plant underneath! Triple efficiency!

And the carbon it’s burning, it turns the blades!

Where do I go for my Nobel prize?

3 Likes

Underneath? Any geothermal down there? Quadruple efficiency…

Basslink down again because of contractor damage to powerline. Extension cord is out again. I hope that Tas has plenty of hydro capacity.

Yes, I agree that government should be directly managing essential services like power, instead of Tories privatising, running down services and overpaying incompetent contractors, who give them kickbacks err donations.

1 Like

Except, the Grattan report found that the NSW government overspent on transmission by $7b which is believed to directly contribute an extra $400 per year on power bills. That’s a lot of under-utilised power lines. So, appears we can be screwed either way.

You have to wonder at these figures.

Assume there is 1 million power bill sites in NSW, that would mean they they spend 400 million bucks a year on unnecessary power lines.

Sounds like more economists nonsense to me.

Just which NSW govt was this? I am guessing it is the Tories who have been in power there for several years. If so, it is absolutely no surprise they would direct $7Bn to their mates’ pockets.

I am further guessing it was the Tories because there has been not a whisper about this in the MSM that I have seen.

If Labor had done this, we would be getting belted about about this 24/7, because Rupert and the NSW MSM controls what everyone in the whole country has to hear.

Edit: I am further guessing it was not Labor because Trip has not been on here crowing about it. We all know how much he relishes any excuse for a propaganda tirade.

2 Likes

One would have assumed so. Most of the damage was done between 2005 and 2011 though, apparently. Between NSW and Queensland around $20b was spent on transmission based (very loosely) on old models while demand was dropping at the same time. This pushed up prices across the eastern seaboard. Victoria and SA had good investment strategies over the same period but had flow on effects from Qld and NSW. Tas wasn’t particularly good but not in the same league as the northern states.

The reason it hasn’t made the news is probably because it’s convenient to skewer renewables in the price argument rather than discuss facts.

The report encourages NSW and Qld to pretty much write down around $9b to get power prices back to a more realistic level.

Told by Origin executive a lot of the so called “unnecessary” power lines are all the new lines being constructed to connect wind but especially solar plants. Has mentioned that at least 8 new solar farms in northern Victoria/Riverina will require heaps of new “gold plated” infrastructure.

Now here is a report you can get your head around.

I thought you knew better Sorf . Stop posting facts. You’ll upset the usual suspects.

1 Like

Not sure what is the point from both you Muppets.

AER reports that since a dirty old brown coal power station has closed and the alternative sources from gas, black coal and hydro are more expensive that prices are higher.

Seems like a brilliant glimpse of the obvious to me.

You do realise that the private owners of Hazelwood closed it down to save themselves money. If Kennett had not sold our Power Generation in the first place, Hazelwood would have been replaced by now, but that is history.

When all the new wind turbines and solar arrays come on stream, prices will fall. Well at least they might if they were not all owned by Capitalist thieves who just want to continue to gouge more and more from us poor slaves. Pity we do not have any Government in this country prepared to nationalise all essential services including power, communications and transport.

5 Likes