Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

In NSW, six of the ten hottest April days ever recorded have happened this year. In Victoria, that number is TEN out of ten. Victorian annual rainfall for 2018 so far is below 10% of the long term average.

In the North Atlantic, the Gulf Stream current is now the weakest that it’s been for 1600 years. For those who haven’t heard of it, the Gulf Stream is the Atlantic current that brings warm water from the Caribbean north, and is the reason that the climate of north western Europe does not resemble that of Siberia.

The chickens are starting to come home to roost.

3 Likes

It’s been ridiculously hot in Sydney this week, temperatures more akin to Kanuary rather than the middle of April. It’s scary. Another day in the 30s today before it cools down to temperatures still 5 degrees above the average.

But coal!

No, it’s dead. No matter how creative the MCA get.

1 Like

So if you continually flog a dead horse, … no matter how dead it is, … then you’re really just a Flog, … right?

Mate - it’s had a big effect in Southern Ontario (Canada). This weekend has seen an almost unprecedented ice storm/freezing rain across the south of the province while experts are predicting we won’t get spring like weather until mid May which is insane.

It’s like trying to reopen a coal thermal plant in NSW to power a blockchain venture. When they’re getting involved in Ponzi schemes you can see how far the once mighty have fallen.

1 Like

Everyday , I think about dying
About disease, starvation
Violence , terrorism , war
The end of the world

It helps keep my mind off things.

Roger Mc Gough.

I wanted to post the whole article but there are a lot of graphs.

Renewable energy capacity set to exceed target Federal Government said was impossible.

Key points:

• Renewable energy capacity is set to exceed 41,000GWh by 2020, a level the coalition government deemed as impossible before it slashed the RET
  • Market already delivered the government’s 2030 emission reduction target, rendering the NEG meaningless: Green Energy Markets
  • Business-as-usual under the NEG will lead to 118 million tonne shortfall in the government’s CO2 reduction commitment
4 Likes

I cannot comprehend how people can be idealogically opposed to renewables as a matter of principle.

5 Likes

Because solar and wind = can’t pay my power bills.

Because they are noidealogicy encumbered

Because they are getting … err … “financial incentives” to make that their principle. And getting financial incentives is their primary ideology.

1 Like

Nothing much to do with ideology.

While there is a group that hate any change, for tossers like Abbott and his Mates it is all about money. Renewable energy means that oil, gas, coal and maybe uranium are not needed to generate power, and the conservatives are so entrenched with these Corporations that they believe their own BS.

Views like BP and ExxonMobil have about agreeable risk are taken up by many, as that is where the big dollars are. I spent a week at the ExxonMobil campus in Houston last December, and any thoughts that they are contributing to environment concerns are non-existent. They also have contingency plans for a disaster in the Mexican Gulf, which Is all about flooding folk with money to forget about it. Fact is they would rather pay to clean up the mess than paying now to prevent it.

1 Like

As a firsthand account inside the “fold” it sounds like these organisations might actually be worse than I suspected. Their own research laid it bare for them years ago. It’s literally ignore it and pretend it isn’t happening.

1 Like

These ■■■■■ won’t be around to see the damage we’ve caused. Self serving dinosaurs.

3 Likes

To be fair to dinosaurs, they were a long lasting successful species.
LNP politicians not so.

They didn’t cope well with climate change or acidification, though.

2 Likes

In fairness to the dinosaurs, they still lasted millions of years.

Perhaps the only silver lining of the global warming catastrophe is that the Tories won’t hang around that long.

What if I was to say I am an environmental scientist and earth scientist who worked in developing the methodologies for the (former) Australian Greenhouse Office, and has advised many large multi-nationals on climate policy and emissions methodologies and emissions reporting for the past 2 decades, as well as being one of the pioneers in non-financial reporting in Australasia (as well as many other non-climate related work) who was a former “believer” but about a decade ago became a proud skeptic? The ‘climate industry’ served me very nicely thank you but gladly off the gravy train - and I’ll now leave the climate change work in the consulting and Government arenas to people who may have ‘climate change’ in their title, but wouldn’t know the difference between the ‘saturation effect’ and a ‘negative feedback mechanism’. I’ll leave that one with you all.

2 Likes