Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

Ah, fair enough, thanks everyone.

I wonder how that interacts with the racial discrimination act, the much-discussed 18C etc? Can you spout whatever racist crap you like in political advertising?

It did. By “Coal Australia” which I’m guessing is effectively the MCA. The problem is that the ad looked like it was selling thermal coal as a reliable and cheap product.

ACCC

That is exactly what it was doing.

1 Like

Except it isn’t “selling a product” under the rules if it’s a political ad. Farking loopholes.

The speed and detail they replied to me with makes me wonder how many times they’ve done the same with the same complaint.

1 Like

Nothing stopping the greens or renewable energy interests running the opposite

1 Like

I guess they may as well.

Do we really have such a thing in our Constitution?

Edit: Yep, what they ^^^ all said already.

I haven’t seen if it was posted elsewhere, but I found this article in the New York Times pretty eye opening to how much was known in the 80’s and how close there came to real global action occuring. It is extremely frustrating that we haven’t made much progress since then.

You can in print media without recourse

How is it political if it’s selling a product?

1 Like

Presumably because it is produced by a lobby group and had the little fast talk thingy at the end.

My understanding as a non lawyer is no. Can’t incite violence, can’t be racist, can defame etc.

There was the case where the libs distributed clearly racist and false pamphlets in Sydney and from memory got taken to court.

Looks very promising, but it’s the CSIRO so I’m sure the government will find a way to fark it up.

5 Likes

Profit at EnergyAustralia has almost tripled as it cashes in on wholesale electricity prices pushed higher by the closure of the Hazelwood coal fired power station in Victoria’s Latrobe Valley.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/power-prices-energyaustralia-reaps-benefits-of-hazelwood-closure/news-story/f5be3fe727f666e69ef658cb3e7262d4

Consequences people, consequences and it’s only going to get worse.

1 Like

How’s that drought going sorfed?

Currently ammonia is made from LPG, so hardly carbon neutral and a waste of fossil fuel. If they have developed a way to make it on a commercial scale via electrolysis with solar power then it is a breakthrough.

1 Like

Just like every other good CSIRO discovery, the governement will sell off the idea for pennies and shut the site down

2 Likes

Can you explain your point to me?
Because it seems like it’s ‘don’t privatise essential services’, or ‘capitalism without oversight is piracy.’

And really doubt it’s either of those.

4 Likes