Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

His point is, doing something about climate change doesn’t make economic sense. It’s why he NEVER brings up any science, just power price ■■■■

1 Like

While we’re on the topic…the next time someone bangs on about Government waste…
Imagine a government department that provides a service.
Top of my head. Education.
Department of Education.

Now imagine you had a dozen separate sub-departments, all providing the same access to the same schools, but at slightly different, unfathomably calculated prices.
A dozen different sales teams, a dozen different customer service teams, a dozen different admins, secretaries, HR staff, and you better believe a dozen different Ministers.
All doing the same thing.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the private electricity market.
Lean, driven and competitive.

Oh, and just by the way…

While the price of gas and electricity have doubled in recent years, stinging every household and business from Broome to Bruny Island, EnergyAustralia has been furiously stacking away billions in income and paying no income tax, not a zack.

According to the latest tax transparency data from the Australian Tax Office, EnergyAustralia racked up 23.9 billion in revenues from 2014 to 2016. Tax expense … wait for it … zero.

Edit: And here’s the kicker. Who owns Energy Australia?

A Hong Kong company.

9 Likes

What part don’t you understand?
Renewables force prices up, anyhow i’m off the buy some more AGL shares.

That’s astounding.
Seriously.
I can’t even.

1 Like

When you are on a fixed income or the the dole or the pension maybe it will sink in.
The more renewables you have the higher the price will be.
And if you want to go down the capitalism route, wind power companies get 60% of their income from subsidies.
i.e. you, the mug taxpayer.

Do they get $5B in subsidies?

Edit: They do not. They get $600M Federally.
For the entire industry.

Can you math?

I don’t think increases in electricity prices are the major problem.

Extracts from Deep Adaptation: A Map for Navigating Climate Tragedy, IFLAS Occasional Paper 2, www.iflas.info, July 27th 2018, Professor Jem Bendell BA (Hons) PhD

The simple evidence of global ambient temperature rise is undisputable. Seventeen of the 18 warmest years in the 136-year record all have occurred since 2001, and global temperatures have increased by 0.9°C since 1880 (NASA/GISS, 2018). The most surprising warming is in the Arctic, where the 2016 land surface temperature was 2.0°C above the 1981-2010 average, breaking the previous records of 2007, 2011, and 2015 by 0.8°C, representing a 3.5°C increase since the record began in 1900 (Aaron-Morrison et al, 2017).

…the evidence before us suggests that we are set for disruptive and uncontrollable levels of climate change, bringing starvation, destruction, migration, disease and war…when I say starvation, destruction, migration, disease and war, I mean in your own life. With the power down, soon you wouldn’t have water coming out of your tap. You will depend on your neighbours for food and some warmth. You will become malnourished. You won’t know whether to stay or go. You will fear being violently killed before starving to death.

Some analysts…argue that the data can be interpreted as indicating climate change is now in a runaway pattern, with inevitable methane release from the seafloor leading to a rapid collapse of societies that will trigger multiple meltdowns of some of the world’s 400 nuclear power-stations, leading to the extinction of the human race (Macpherson, 2016). This assessment that we face near-term human extinction can draw on the conclusions by geologists that the last mass extinction of life on earth, where 95% of species disappeared, was due to methane-induced rapid warming of the atmosphere (Lee, 2014; Brand et al, 2016).

I’m talking economic waste.

If you want to talk about the environmental stuff then I’ll leave it to @Humble_Minion.

Reason?

Go back to your post, bold the parts you haven’t bolded and unbold the parts you have.

Are you ignoring the price rises in electricity

Don’t the states matter?
Perhaps you could inform The Australian that they are mistaken in their April 2018 article the said we are on track for $2.3 billion in subsidies this year.
Notice you took your figure from Google search only, pity ii was a Feb 2017 article.
Are you including in your figure the cost of infrastructure like interconnectors and Elon the conman Musk’s big battery.

On track?
Mine are historical.
And, okay, that was just one foreign company’s profits over two years.
So at 20% we’ll call that $2.5B stolen from Australian pensioners pa.
From one of at least a dozen energy companies.
I suspect there’s a lot more, but that’s how many came up when I did a quick search for energy providers in Victoria.

Again, can you math?

Edit: Lol. Did you just use the 'trip defence?

but if they capture/store the CO2 at the point of conversion, isn’t that better than the gas and therefore the emissions being decentralised across the globe?

Hydrogen production may also be a way for us to export renewables.

pass your maths test and receive a 46% bonus on your results!

Yeah, they should have built more coal thermal to replace Hazlewood. That would have dropped prices. This is the rhetoric coming out of the Monash Forum, anyway.

Apparently the government broke its own rules handing over that half $1b. Labor and Greens demanding it be returned. Malc defended the move by saying “but, it’s the biggest donation to the reef ever! That means is rooly great!”

Donation to his mates!
How many on the ‘board’ and how many staff again?

Again, could you imagine a half billion dollar boondoggle donated to the unions by the ALP?

Edit: You know what? ■■■■ it. Put a dozen union heads on the ‘board’ instead of your business mates, Malcolm.

2 Likes

If price increases for electricity are all about cost of renewables, can you explain @sorfed why the cost of gas has exploded, so to speak.

My last gas bill was over $100 per week, a 100% increase on this time last year. Energy Australia is my provider.

Abbott would just give it to Japan.

1 Like

I’d have though renewables only affected electricity supply.

Gas prices are because the gas companies are selling it overseas at far lower prices than what we pay for it. That should be an act of treason.

4 Likes