Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

This is the problem, we give out achievement awards when it comes to doing the bare minimum on climate change

Not good enough

2 Likes

Labor get a participation award. There was no race so no first prize required.

The fundamental problem is that too many politicians and political journalist act as if the ALP and the Libs are the only two runners in the race. Some of the more honest ones admit that the libs arenā€™t trying.

Nobody speaks the hard truth that global warming is also running in the race, and is eight lengths ahead and pulling away coming into the home straight.

2 Likes

You wouldnā€™t want to risk having to consider doing things differently though.

The only way you could get any serious action on climate change in this country would either be

a. Have a commanding majority in both houses; or
b. The country somehow turns into a dictatorship and the leader is hellbent on decarbonising the country

Chances of either happening are zilch, as any real measure to tackle climate change requires carbon pricing which is political poison thanks to the lies of the LNP and Murdoch

You would think Labor gets it in the house.

In the senate there is still a pretty decent chance of getting something up.

You need 38 votes, currently 26 Labor and 9 Green. They only need to pick up a couple of seats and even if they donā€™t can negotiate with others such as centre alliance. Itā€™s the liberals who struggle in the senate becuase they have to negotiate with Phon and other nutters.

Canā€™t rely on the Greens to support Labor Climate Policy, they proved it las t time because they needed it to still be an issue, as itā€™s the main thing that kept them relevant, so they torpedoed it.

If they hadnā€™t, we would have still had something that would have painlessly increased in size over time, with the RWNJā€™s less able to mount a huge fear campaign on, and by now, may well be at a point of having serious impact, and weā€™d almost certainly have lower power prices to boot.

Instead, weā€™ve got nothing, and have had a decade of hell over getting to the point of having nothing.

5 Likes

Cairns today is 5C hotter than it has ever been in recorded history.

Iā€™m sure this is all going to be fineā€¦ :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Those fine climate change-denying citizens of FNQ can stew in their own juice until they stop electing environmental vandals.

Only problem is they will have their A/Cs going full blast which exacerbates the problem at many levels.

1 Like

Not actually true HM.

Read the fine print, it was hottest ever day at Cairns Airport, and just how long have they been recording temperature. Much hotter in Cairns in 1923.

Fark I am acting like sorfed, deny, deny, deny.

1 Like

All good, BF, when I make a mistake I appreciate it getting corrected (unlike sorfed!)

So, in that spirit, Iā€™ve gone back to my original source, and now, a repostā€¦

2 Likes

Just how old are you?

2 Likes

Well currently I am in Hanoi, drinking Saigon Beer with an old Comrade who has a business here. I feel very young at present as I am surrounded by young French tourists and brevity of local beauties.

Mrs Fox will arrive soon, so I am destined to feel very old then.

4 Likes

I do hope the weather picked up and that brevity became a bevy. And that you had another bevvie to celebrate.

If I had to summarise my take on the whole topic:

• Is the earth warming? Yes
  • Are humans contributing to the earthā€™s warming? Yes

Then it gets really murky for mine because I feel itā€™s so overly politicised that itā€™s almost impossible to make heads or tails of the rest.

• To what degree are humans contributing to global warming? Unsure
  • Are humans to blame for a catastrophic change in climate that threatens our very existence? Seems a little far fetched, failed predictions by climate change alarmists and the presence of strong political biases make me very sceptical

Then it gets even murkierā€¦ Letā€™s assume for a moment that the status quo is unsustainable. If we go on as is, weā€™re rootedā€¦

• Are we capable of reversing or substantially dampening the effects of climate change?
  • On a more micro level, does it make sense for every country to take drastic measures when the reality is that human contribution to climate ā€˜pollutionā€™ isnā€™t spread evenly (US/China/India)?
  • Is dismantling coal for inferior energy production methods really the best way forward given the impacts it will have on cost of living pressure, particularly for those less well off?
  • Is this something best handled by the private sector by encouraging research into alternate methods of energy production (i.e. the incentive is there for someone to develop and ā€˜sellā€™ this in, much as we are seeing with investment in electric cars) as opposed to more government taxation and regulation?
2 Likes

Yeah well we have a State elected Labor party here, unlike those WA rednecks that have the safest Tory State Govt in the country.

And we donā€™t have air conditioners at our house, if you are intelligent enough to design a house with louvres & ceiling fans, then you can avoid it.

I know we have our fair share of Pauline Hanson lovers here, but the last people having a crack at us should be those Tory lovers from WA.

1 Like

Was going to respond this similarly.

Also worth noting that the FNQ population includes many thousands of ex-southerners (and their kids), while QLD has the highest residential uptake of solar in the country, with generation capacity leaving everywhere else for dead.

1 Like

Isnā€™t WA Labor? Or am I missing the joke?

Yep within 5 years FNQ can be completely reliant on renewable energy.

There is heaps of new wind & solar farms being built up here atm. The new wind farm at Tolga is ready for commissioning very soon & pays for itself within 20 years, unlike that ā€˜weight around your neckā€™ Snowy Mountains Hydro Electric Scheme which after 60 years is still yet to pay for itself.

1 Like

More to do with the last 25 years.

Since the JBP days, Qld has been a Labor stronghold (except for 3 years of CanDo) while LNP has been in power for 16+ years out of the last 25 in WA.