Climate Change in Australia (Part 1)

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H.L. Mencken

Does anyone know the last time the reef had such massive damage?

Edit: I mean, with changing sea levels and presumably changing sea temperature, surely this has happened before over deep time?
Perhaps there wasn’t the starfish issue and definitely there wasn’t the mining run-off issue, but I assume some research has gone into that?

I don’t know to be honest. I believe the reef is actually not that old from a deep time perspective - only a few tens of thousands of years maybe - so it probably hasn’t been around for major climate changes before now. I think it post dates the last ice age.

The starfish business was pretty minor in comparison to what we’re seeing now, and run off has never been as bad as it is now, and the effect is magnified because runoff is a more severe threat to a damaged/bleached reef than it is to a healthy one.

2 Likes

Appreciate the answer.

Mods, if ever you needed evidence of trolling, there it is.

Replace the Melbourne wheel with it.

1 Like

So did Stalin.

The current Ice Age, the Quarternary has been going on for the last 2.58 million years. We are now 11,300 years into an inter-glacial period and about 160 years out of the Litte Ice Age (ice fairs on the Thames and Dickens describes life at that time)

And before the usual suspects begin their usual ad hominem attacks I know Dickens was a sceptic a radical right-winger and in the pay of big oil.

Inter-glacial periods typically last between 12,000 and 20,000 years.
The previous inter-glacial was 130,000 years ago and was approx 5 C hotter than the present.

The earths temperature has been on an overall steady decline for the last 8,000 years.

The earths temperature ?

Atmospheric temperature

Inner core

Outer core

Which one ?

Interesting* fact: It snowed on Christmas Day in London on each of Dickens’ first eight birthdays.

Is that all you have.

In the case of the inner core we know it is millions of degrees just a couple of miles down, I know because Al Gore told us.

Maybe this from the United States Geographical Survey will help.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/p1386a/gallery2-fig35.html

Notice where todays temperature is.

So you have no idea.

Inner core is 6000 deg C, about the same temperature as the Sun. Outer core is about the same, and the Mantle is about 4500 deg C near the Outer core and down to about 200 deg C near the crust.

When we talk about Global warming, it is about our surface and sea temperatures, and this is not effected by the Earths core, but is affected by Carbon gases in our atmosphere mostly.

You know all this, but you are just a silly old troll.

V[quote=“Bacchusfox, post:4658, topic:170, full:true”]
So you have no idea.

Inner core is 6000 deg C, about the same temperature as the Sun. Outer core is about the same, and the Mantle is about 4500 deg C near the Outer core and down to about 200 deg C near the crust.

When we talk about Global warming, it is about our surface and sea temperatures, and this is not effected by the Earths core, but is affected by Carbon gases in our atmosphere mostly.

You know all this, but you are just a silly old troll.
[/quote]
I do know that, but as usual you failed completely and utterly to comprehend my post which was in reply to another post and its point that a main proponent of Global Warming in Al Gore made the reference to millions of degrees just below the surface showing the ignorance of the Warming movement hysteria.
And who exactly tried their usual pathetic diversionary tactics.
Go Saul.

Al Gore is not a scientist. I am.

1 Like

Will we call you Dr. Who from now on?

But Al Gore is the public face of warmism and has produced two films on Global Warming in order to panic the population into proving $2 trillion per year into the pockets of the Green Blob industry, you haven’t.

You said it and the clear, simple and wrong answer is CO2.

Happy new year chum

Are you sure ?

Doubt it, you seen his work with graphs?